Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Offset Attachment Adapter

    Recently I was thinking about work I need to do to my driveway using my box blade when I began to think of how nice it would be if I could somehow offset my box blade by about a foot to either side so I could more easily scrape the sides of the road without getting the tractor too close to the edge of the road.

    Then it occurred to me that something like an offset attachment adapter (for lack of a better description) would be just the thing to do exactly what I need without having to purchase another attachment. I don't know if such an offset adapter even exists, but it seems to me that it's at least within the realm of possibility. Thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
    .

  2. #2
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    714
    Location
    Staunton, VA
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

    Default Re: Offset Attachment Adapter

    An even better idea would be an offset adapter capable of also transferring PTO a bit to the side... I would love to be able to use my rotary cutter a bit to one side to allow cutting along roads. But I have never seen such an animal. You can get the full hydraulic cutters as used by road maintenance crews, but they are prohibitively expensive. Just a little offset would be good.

  3. #3
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Offset Attachment Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by DKCDKC View Post
    An even better idea would be an offset adapter capable of also transferring PTO a bit to the side... I would love to be able to use my rotary cutter a bit to one side to allow cutting along roads. But I have never seen such an animal. You can get the full hydraulic cutters as used by road maintenance crews, but they are prohibitively expensive. Just a little offset would be good.
    After some additional searching, done after creating my initial post, I found the following patent for an offset adapter which seems to do exactly what you described. I thought that if an offset adapter had ever existed that someone would have surely patented it, and I quickly discovered that they had done precisely that. The only problem (in my case) is that the design (shown below) doesn't seem like it would be strong enough to withstand the stresses generated by a 6 foot box blade.

    Patent US4195860 - Offset adapter - Google Patents
    Last edited by MasseyWV; 02-11-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    .

  4. #4
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,552
    Location
    North of Mtl,Que,Can (Ste Adele)
    Tractor
    MT180D

    Default Re: Offset Attachment Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    After some additional searching, done after creating my initial post, I found the following patent for an offset adapter which seems to do exactly what you described. I thought that if an offset adapter had ever existed that someone would have surely patented it, and I quickly discovered that they had done precisely that. The only problem (in my case) is that the design (shown below) doesn't seem like it would be strong enough to withstand the stresses generated by a 6 foot box blade.

    Patent US4195860 - Offset adapter - Google Patents
    That would work with a mower but with a rear blade, box or regular, you would soon find yourself being spun around, at least on most cuts.
    On a heavy tractor with light cuts it might work but efficiency would suffer.

  5. #5
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Offset Attachment Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by PILOON View Post
    That would work with a mower but with a rear blade, box or regular, you would soon find yourself being spun around, at least on most cuts.
    On a heavy tractor with light cuts it might work but efficiency would suffer.
    Offset scraper blades do exist so I was thinking that something similar could be done with a box blade. Aside from the box blade having rippers and side skirts to contain material, there really isn't much difference between it and a scraper blade. As long as one took it easy and didn't try to use the box blade to it's maximum potential, I fail to see why it couldn't be done.

    In my case, I need to dress the very edge of the road where it meets the ditch line, but would like to reduce the risk of having one of the tractor tires dropping down into the ditch, which has become somewhat deep in places. Referring to the image below, the shoulder (about a foot wide) is the area which I need to grade because it has become elevated in relation to the rest of the road and is preventing water from draining properly.

    Last edited by MasseyWV; 02-11-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    .

  6. #6
    Elite Member schmism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,945
    Location
    Peoria IL
    Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

    Default Re: Offset Attachment Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by MasseyWV View Post
    Aside from the box blade having rippers and side skirts to contain material, there really isn't much difference between it and a scraper blade.
    THe rear angle of the box blade's blade is significantly more sharp much more ) to it than any normal rear blade. THe other significant difference is most non-inexpensive rear blades are designed to offset, and tilt as well as rotate in order to do the job you specifically want to do.

    I mean you COULD modify a rock to use as hammer, but a hammer is so much better at being a hammer than a rock... makes you wonder why you just dont use the hammer to start with.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

  7. #7
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,796
    Location
    .
    Tractor
    .

    Default Re: Offset Attachment Adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    THe rear angle of the box blade's blade is significantly more sharp much more ) to it than any normal rear blade. THe other significant difference is most non-inexpensive rear blades are designed to offset, and tilt as well as rotate in order to do the job you specifically want to do.
    I realize the curvature of the cutting edge of a box blade is significantly sharper than that of a typical scraper blade and that many of the higher quality scraper blades are specifically designed to do the task at hand. Why buy another implement that has to be changed to a single specific task that *could be* accomplished with the box blade, and without the need to change implements? The box blade is such a versatile tool as it is, so what is wrong with considering the possibility of adapting it to make it even better?

    Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    I mean you COULD modify a rock to use as hammer, but a hammer is so much better at being a hammer than a rock... makes you wonder why you just dont use the hammer to start with.
    One could modify many things to use as a hammer, which remained basically unchanged until someone got the idea to create an attachment for a completely unrelated tool (air compressor) to make an air hammer, leading to many other inventions such as air-nailers. Or maybe the air-nailer actually came first, but that's not the point...

    Just because something has always been used a certain way, does not mean it cannot be improved upon with a little creative imagination and perhaps even a little experimentation.
    .

  8. #8
    Elite Member Piston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,760
    Location
    Central MA, Lakes Region NH
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

    Default Re: Offset Attachment Adapter

    I agree that some sort of "offset adapter" could be very useful in some situations. It would be nice to have the ability to use when needed.
    Personally, I would love to have an offset for my rotary cutter to avoid driving over some of the rather large saplings I mow down once in a while. I found a BH 307 for sale used locally, which had the ability to offset (it was a tow behind model) but realized it's a little too big for my tractor to handle.

    To offset the box blade, I would think you could rather easily fabricate an adapter yourself, using two quick hitch setups (cheapo's that northern tool sells). Put one quick hitch on the 3 pt hitch, then you could weld the other quick hitch to some steel bars that connect the two, in a sideways fashion. I don't know if that makes sense, but it makes sense in my mind.
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

  9. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    882
    Location
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Tractor
    Kubota L4330, 6 rear remotes

    Default Re: Offset Attachment Adapter

    I believe there are hydraulic-adjust-offset flail mowers ...copy their mechanics?

  10. #10
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    135
    Location
    West Gardiner, Maine
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 23

    Default Re: Offset Attachment Adapter

    Seems to me you'd have to anchor the outside corner of the offset box blade somewhere on middle of the tractor. This would reduce the risk of bending whatever bar it was attached to and pivoting the tractor when the blade filled. Also agree with other posts that efficiency would be reduced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Offset or not?
    By HiTechTed in forum Attachments
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 08:35 AM
  2. offset adapter for rhino
    By heehaw in forum Attachments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 05:31 PM
  3. Skid Steer Adapter Adapter
    By Charlie_Iliff in forum Power Trac
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 10:09 PM
  4. loader adapter for skidloader attachment
    By Twanger in forum Attachments
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 11:29 PM
  5. Tiller Offset Tiller
    By billboe in forum Attachments
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2002, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.