Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    87
    Tractor
    Mahinda 7520

    Default grease in a rotary cutter gear box?

    Hey folks. I've heard over the years of many people putting grease in their cutter gearboxes instead of the oil that is usually spec'd by the manufacturers. I assume the reason is that grease doesn't leak out as easily and resists water better. I wanted to get some input from people who have done this. Does it work, last for years, etc,to use grease? Do people find it superior to using oil? Why? What type of grease and how much do you put in? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,262
    Location
    Lee, IL
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

    Default Re: grease in a rotary cutter gear box?

    If it will hold oil, then use oil. An oil bath is much better for lubricating a gearbox. If it leaks and you don't keep up with it, then maybe you would be better off with grease. I bought my brush hog used and it was filled with grease, so put oil in. The next day there was a huge puddle under it and no oil... guess I know why he put the grease in. I replaced the seals for probably about $15 and maybe 2 hours of work and filled it with oil. It hasn't leaked since.

  3. #3
    Elite Member Xfaxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,198
    Location
    Meridian, OK
    Tractor
    Bobcat V417 Toolcat 5610 F TORO+Loader

    Default Re: grease in a rotary cutter gear box?

    Quote Originally Posted by jrlogan View Post
    Hey folks. I've heard over the years of many people putting grease in their cutter gearboxes instead of the oil that is usually spec'd by the manufacturers. I assume the reason is that grease doesn't leak out as easily and resists water better. I wanted to get some input from people who have done this. Does it work, last for years, etc,to use grease? Do people find it superior to using oil? Why? What type of grease and how much do you put in? Thanks in advance.
    Do a search for corn head grease, or NLGI grade 0 (zero).

    I had a leaking axle seal on my old Terex Dumper, drained the gear lube and used three gallons of grade 00, so far so good, no leak and runs quieter.
    -p1060001-jpg

  4. #4
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    767
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915 & 5200

    Default Re: grease in a rotary cutter gear box?

    Grease is only oil with a thickener. Oil does a better job of keeping the metals separate (lubrication) & heat dissipation.

  5. #5
    Elite Member WilliamBos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,512
    Location
    Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xfaxman View Post

    Do a search for corn head grease, or NLGI grade 0 (zero).

    I had a leaking axle seal on my old Terex Dumper, drained the gear lube and used three gallons of grade 00, so far so good, no leak and runs quieter.
    <img src="http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=303077"/>
    That is what is in the gearbox of our MF RFM. I have a litre on the shelf, never have needed to add it in 3 years.
    Thanks,

    Will


    I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

  6. #6
    Super Member greg_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,028
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

    Default Re: grease in a rotary cutter gear box?

    Grease is a poor substitute for good seals and an operational vent plug

    //greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

  7. #7
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    590
    Location
    Thumb, Mich

    Default Re: grease in a rotary cutter gear box?

    Grease has been an effective field fix for leaking lower seals for about as long as rotary cutters have existed. I first heard it recommended by a manufacturers rep about 50 years ago.
    The Opti-Mist

  8. #8
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    48,767
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: grease in a rotary cutter gear box?

    Quote Originally Posted by Opti-Mist View Post
    Grease has been an effective field fix for leaking lower seals for about as long as rotary cutters have existed. I first heard it recommended by a manufacturers rep about 50 years ago.


    i agree. it's not a perfect fix.. but it's a GOOD fix.

    I have a couple old mowers from the 70's one has a NLA seal.. I'd have to have the gearbox machined to fit a new lower seal... the mower was free..

    i put 2 tubes of chassis grease in it and 1 tube of cornhead grease. it don't leak and stays full..

    Also.. I'd like to point out that SOME mower and other equipment actually specifies that a particular grease can be used. IE.. a ep-0 or 00 grease.

    My howse HD120 10' mower manual states as such.. 85-140 or a flaowable grease.. 00 ep grade ( with some manuf spec number next to it.. etc.. ).

    On that one.. I ran a mix of grease and oil .. more oil than grease...

  9. #9
    Elite Member WilliamBos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,512
    Location
    Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

    Default Re: grease in a rotary cutter gear box?

    Our MF RF500 (Alamo built ) left the factory with 00 grease in the gearbox in the fall of 2009. Guessing the heavier duty mower have that over gear oil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    i agree. it's not a perfect fix.. but it's a GOOD fix.

    I have a couple old mowers from the 70's one has a NLA seal.. I'd have to have the gearbox machined to fit a new lower seal... the mower was free..

    i put 2 tubes of chassis grease in it and 1 tube of cornhead grease. it don't leak and stays full..

    Also.. I'd like to point out that SOME mower and other equipment actually specifies that a particular grease can be used. IE.. a ep-0 or 00 grease.

    My howse HD120 10' mower manual states as such.. 85-140 or a flaowable grease.. 00 ep grade ( with some manuf spec number next to it.. etc.. ).

    On that one.. I ran a mix of grease and oil .. more oil than grease...
    Thanks,

    Will


    I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

  10. #10
    Elite Member Xfaxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,198
    Location
    Meridian, OK
    Tractor
    Bobcat V417 Toolcat 5610 F TORO+Loader

    Default Re: grease in a rotary cutter gear box?

    Quote Originally Posted by greg_g View Post
    Grease is a poor substitute for good seals and an operational vent plug

    //greg//
    Not if you use grade 0, 00, or 000. They are thixotropic. Might lube better on worn gears.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gear box grease?
    By crazyal in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
  2. Gear Box Woes on Rotary Cutter
    By Papasmith in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2008, 02:45 PM
  3. Loose gear box on rotary cutter
    By savageayape in forum Attachments
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 12:07 AM
  4. Need Rotary Cutter Gear Box
    By MiniOaksMocha in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 12:12 AM
  5. Gun grease in a gear box
    By Rch in forum Attachments
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-29-2001, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.