Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    30
    Location
    Rusk, TX
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620

    Default help with shaking cutter

    Last year I picked up a B2620 kubota with a 5' landpride cutter. Both were brand new. I had about 15 acres of rough uncut uneven land to cut. Everything went well. Of course the cutter took some abuse but the land looks great now. So, things are starting to grow again and I'm cleaning out some brushy areas that I didn't get to last year. My problem is, every once in a while, the cutter will really start shaking. Enough that it really bothers me. I hit the clutch, let it spin down, lower the RPMs and then bring it back up to speed. It usually is fine at that point but will do it again a little later.

    NOTE: I work on all my own stuff am currently building my own house and have rebuilt mutiple engines and transmissions. I know how to turn wrenches but I have never owned a tractor or brush hog before. Any direction on where to look first for the problem would be very helpful.

    thanks
    Austin

  2. #2
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,227
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: help with shaking cutter

    First thing I would do is make sure there is no binding and the blades swing freely, I have gotten stuff wrapped up in mine and the blades would not fully extend causing an imbalance. Stopping and starting would often let it spin back out.

    Sometimes these things also seem to have a mind of its own as we have a Woods DS1260 that does this occasionally, so we just let it spin down and then spool back up, can't find any problems with it. We will check it again before using it this spring and summer.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

  3. #3
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,923
    Location
    limerick pa lycoming county pa
    Tractor
    kubota bx23

    Default Re: help with shaking cutter

    It sounds like one of the blades is getting stuck back when it hits some thing like TR said
    They should swing back at normal speed.
    Check and see if the pivot bolts are wrapped up with grass or other junk.

    tom
    If it ain't broke we will help you brake it
    If it is broke we will help you get it fixed!


    https://www.facebook.com/joseph.t.mussington

  4. #4
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    780
    Location
    mansfield,Il
    Tractor
    john deere

    Default Re: help with shaking cutter

    Just the nature of the beast . Those blades are hinged and when they get into something they will fold back for a second . This throws everything out of balance and makes her shake . You are also getting into dirt , heavy weeds , stumps , rocks , not a pleasant diet for blades .Have you checked all the bolts and the blades . Make sure that gearbox is bolted down tight and the blades don't have a tip busted off . Hope this helps , Kevin .

  5. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    213
    Location
    Taylorsville, GA
    Tractor
    3000 Ford 66' 260A International Backhoe

    Default Re: help with shaking cutter

    Sounds like TripleR about has it covered and backed up by the others.

    When you check the blades you'll see how they swing. See if there is any play where the bolts hold the blades on, there shouldn't be any play but the blades should swing.

    Don't sound like a gear box problem as it would vibrate all the time.

    Might also check the universal joints in the drive shaft.
    I've got a cutting torch and a welder sooo YEAH it'll fit!!

  6. #6
    R.I.P.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,883
    Location
    North Carolina
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    First thing I would do is make sure there is no binding and the blades swing freely, I have gotten stuff wrapped up in mine and the blades would not fully extend causing an imbalance. Stopping and starting would often let it spin back out.

    Sometimes these things also seem to have a mind of its own as we have a Woods DS1260 that does this occasionally, so we just let it spin down and then spool back up, can't find any problems with it. We will check it again before using it this spring and summer.
    I've had this happen. Mine had been sitting for quite a while and one blade was only slightly cocked and the rust was making it difficult for it to correct. The vibration was very bad for no more than it was.
    Which is bigger?: a) $100 per month since the Big Bang or b) the US National Debt.

  7. #7
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,227
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: help with shaking cutter

    Quote Originally Posted by EE_Bota View Post
    I've had this happen. Mine had been sitting for quite a while and one blade was only slightly cocked and the rust was making it difficult for it to correct. The vibration was very bad for no more than it was.
    Sure know what you mean, surprising how much they will shake; thought I had blown something up.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

  8. #8
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,227
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

    Default Re: help with shaking cutter

    Quote Originally Posted by Steave View Post
    Sounds like TripleR about has it covered and backed up by the others.

    When you check the blades you'll see how they swing. See if there is any play where the bolts hold the blades on, there shouldn't be any play but the blades should swing.

    Don't sound like a gear box problem as it would vibrate all the time.

    Might also check the universal joints in the drive shaft.
    That is what our did when we had a gear box going out on one of ours, constant vibration; $400.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

  9. #9
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    780
    Location
    mansfield,Il
    Tractor
    john deere

    Default Re: help with shaking cutter

    While I was pecking away a few other fellows gave you good info .

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    30
    Location
    Rusk, TX
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620

    Default Re: help with shaking cutter

    Thanks guys. I will be back out there sometime this coming weekend. I will report what I find.

    Austin

Similar Threads

  1. SHAKING from The Quakin'
    By Brokermike in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM
  2. Engine shaking
    By RayK in forum Kubota Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 12:33 PM
  3. JD 420 shaking
    By bobag in forum John Deere Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 01:09 PM
  4. Shaking brush cutter
    By PondCreekFarm in forum Attachments
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 10:21 AM
  5. 3-Point Hitch 3 pt shaking
    By JefferBo in forum Century & Branson
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 03:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.