Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Veteran Member kebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,360
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

    Default How do you get this slipclutch off??

    I loosened the nut thinking that it would let the yoke slide off, but then realized it's not "split" so it can clamp down on the PTO shaft. Duhhhh. Does that "threaded pin" sit in a groove on the PTO shaft? If so, then that pin has to be pushed or pressed out from the other side, right? There is no nut on the other end of it, it just looks like its flush (pressed) into the clutch housing. I couldn't rotate the shaft to take a pic of the other end because the blades are sitting on the ground (rototiller not hooked up to the tractor). Thanks....




    -20130302_095038-jpg
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

    2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

    Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,833
    Location
    VA
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

    Default Re: How do you get this slipclutch off??

    Is that a nut? It looks like a push pin release. It should push in almost flush and then the collar can slide off the shaft.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

  3. #3
    Elite Member Don87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

    Default Re: How do you get this slipclutch off??

    Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    I loosened the nut thinking that it would let the yoke slide off, but then realized it's not "split" so it can clamp down on the PTO shaft. Duhhhh. Does that "threaded pin" sit in a groove on the PTO shaft? If so, then that pin has to be pushed or pressed out from the other side, right? There is no nut on the other end of it, it just looks like its flush (pressed) into the clutch housing. I couldn't rotate the shaft to take a pic of the other end because the blades are sitting on the ground (rototiller not hooked up to the tractor). Thanks....




    -20130302_095038-jpg
    Still looks like the bolt goes thru the splines on the shaft(unless it's an optical illusion from the picture angle).

    EDIT: try putting the nut back on, flush with the threads, and tap it a few times to see if it backs out the other side.
    Don

    MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,115
    Location
    Doniphan, Mo.
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

    Default Re: How do you get this slipclutch off??

    Just were did you take a nut off of? Larry has it right, it's a spring pin. If it had a nut on it someone put it on just to keep it locked in place, doesn't even look like a nut could be put on it.

  5. #5
    Super Member RickB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,816
    Location
    Eastern NY
    Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

    Default Re: How do you get this slipclutch off??

    This is NOT a quick-disconect push pin.
    It is a wedge shaped pinch bolt that engages a slot in the shaft. Put the nut back on, flush with the end of the 'pinch bolt'. Using a steel punch of at least 1/2" diameter so as not to deform the bolt or nut, give it a good lick with a 2 lb or larger hammer straight in towards the clutch. This will dislodge the tapered bolt. Pull the bolt back out towards you so the bolt locks slightly and temporarily in the clutch while you remove the nut. Shove the bolt through and out the back side of the clutch. Remove clutch assembly from the shaft.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

  6. #6
    Super Member greg_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,039
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Tractor
    JD3720 Cab, 300X loader with 4-in-1 bucket

    Default Re: How do you get this slipclutch off??

    Yup, it's a simple threaded bolt that should tap right out. The other end is a conventional hex head. It would be more easily removed if the implement was actually mounted on the three point, and the PTO shaft connected to the tractor. That way you can rotate the tines to minimize the forces that are currently holding that bolt in place. Lot less potential for thread damage that way. Or else just bang it out and replace it with a new bolt

    //greg//
    USN (Ret)
    Former Chinese tractor owner (x4)
    Current John Deere owner

  7. #7
    Veteran Member kebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,360
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

    Default Re: How do you get this slipclutch off??

    Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    This is NOT a quick-disconect push pin.
    It is a wedge shaped pinch bolt that engages a slot in the shaft. Put the nut back on, flush with the end of the 'pinch bolt'. Using a steel punch of at least 1/2" diameter so as not to deform the bolt or nut, give it a good lick with a 2 lb or larger hammer straight in towards the clutch. This will dislodge the tapered bolt. Pull the bolt back out towards you so the bolt locks slightly and temporarily in the clutch while you remove the nut. Shove the bolt through and out the back side of the clutch. Remove clutch assembly from the shaft.
    Yep, I knew before I even started that it was not a simple push pin type locking mechanism, that would have been too easy! (Use Control and the + key to zoom in and see the threads). I had also figured it was sitting in a "groove" that is in the PTO shaft, which is what keeps the slipclutch from coming off.

    The other end of this bolt is not an exposed hex head, but rather was simply rounded and flush with the slip clutch housing (ie recessed, countersunk ever how you want to say it).

    I did actually put the nut back on and try driving this bolt through, but it was a feeble attempt because the cover directly above it was in the way and I couldn't get a straight enough angle on it to do any good. I think I will have to hook this rototiller up so I can lift it and then rotate the main shaft to get this bolt in a better position so I can drive it out. Thanks guys!
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

    2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

    Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,115
    Location
    Doniphan, Mo.
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

    Default Re: How do you get this slipclutch off??

    Yes your right after a closer look, it's a bolt.

  9. #9
    Elite Member Baby Grand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,037
    Location
    Windsor, CT.
    Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

    Default Re: How do you get this slipclutch off??

    Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    Still looks like the bolt goes thru the splines on the shaft(unless it's an optical illusion from the picture angle).

    EDIT: try putting the nut back on, flush with the threads, and tap it a few times to see if it backs out the other side.
    My money is on Don's advice. Put the nut back on to protect the threads and give it a few light raps.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

  10. #10
    Super Member RickB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,816
    Location
    Eastern NY
    Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

    Default Re: How do you get this slipclutch off??

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Grand View Post
    My money is on Don's advice. Put the nut back on to protect the threads and give it a few light raps.
    Gonna take more than "a few light raps". One well placed direct blow is required to unseat the tapered pinch bolt without distorting the bolt or nut.
    Not my first rodeo.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Slipclutch question
    By Richard in forum Attachments
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 12:19 AM
  2. PTO slipclutch question
    By 2nstonge in forum Attachments
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.