Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Location
    White, GA
    Tractor
    2010 McCormick CT50U

    Default Sheared ripper frame

    Admitedly, I am a novice. I was clearing / grading an area with some debris (brush, limbs, etc...) on a piece of land I have only owned for 5 mos. Having fun and a good time today in the Georgia sun and 65 degree weather when all of the sudden - STOP... I looked back saw I was hung up on something and backed up. A stump just below grade that was not visible was grabbed by my middle scarifier and sheared right through the frame!! I pulled out the ripper and spend 3 hours getting the stump out so I don't damage anything in the future forgetting it was there. I am going to take it to a fab shop and have it fixed. It is a BushHog SBX720 - a stout piece of steel.

    That was the back story. Now the question: should I have the ripper frame beefed up, or is it good that the scrape was the weak link in this chain? I guess I would rather tear up a scrape then hurt the tractor if / when this happens again... McCormicK CT50U is a great machine, and with only 200 hrs - I don't want to beat it up too bad. Also, am I a rube, or does this sort of thing happen to everyone as sometime or another?




  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,954
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default

    That's mighty darn impressive.

  3. #3
    Elite Member dex3361's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,568
    Location
    N. of Charleston WV
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

    Default Re: Sheared ripper frame

    I have done the same thing to my box blade ripper and I just fixed it and I may beef it up a little. Your ripper shank will bend sometimes instead of ripping the tubing. It happens o all of us and the reason a lot of us learn to weld.
    Randall



    1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
    From: The HOLY BIBLE

  4. #4
    Platinum Member xring100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    973
    Location
    Livingston County, Michigan
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540

    Default

    bummer remember if you reinforce this area to make sure that everything else from the shanks slot to the 3point mounting points is beefy enough to handle the kind of loads that you'll be capable of inducing. To bad they don't have a fuseable link like a shear pin
    It would be a real bummer to trash the main beam worse than just a tear out

    Dave

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Bigfoot62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,817
    Location
    W. Central Louisiana
    Tractor
    JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

    Default Re: Sheared ripper frame

    That big tractor of yours is obviously over-powered. You'll have to get rid of it. Seriously, BushHog's website recommends 35hp or less (FWD) for the SBX blades.
    You should be able to find a welding shop that can fix it right up. Then, be really careful how you use it, or get a heavier blade.

    I have a 6' Gill Roll-Over. It's 30+ years old, and I've had it behind 100 hp FWD tractors. Never broken or even bent it. But, it probably weighs 3x what your box blade does. (probably costs 3x too)
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

    JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

    Donít ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Location
    White, GA
    Tractor
    2010 McCormick CT50U

    Default Re: Sheared ripper frame

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot62 View Post
    That big tractor of yours is obviously over-powered. You'll have to get rid of it. Seriously, BushHog's website recommends 35hp or less (FWD) for the SBX blades.
    You should be able to find a welding shop that can fix it right up. Then, be really careful how you use it, or get a heavier blade.

    I have a 6' Gill Roll-Over. It's 30+ years old, and I've had it behind 100 hp FWD tractors. Never broken or even bent it. But, it probably weighs 3x what your box blade does. (probably costs 3x too)
    I'm at 38 on the pto. I'm chalking it up to being a novice and working soil I was not really familiar with. It did great ripping out roots and grading a dirt road that hadn't been touched in 7 yrs. That tractor stopped so fast my neck must have grown an inch when I hit that stump. Rippers were set up high, and top link was trimmed out so I was only cutting maybe 2-3 inches deep. Another learning curve! I would rather have to fix up a blade than the rear end on my machine.

  7. #7
    Platinum Member xring100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    973
    Location
    Livingston County, Michigan
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drsmile View Post

    I'm at 38 on the pto. I'm chalking it up to being a novice and working soil I was not really familiar with. It did great ripping out roots and grading a dirt road that hadn't been touched in 7 yrs. That tractor stopped so fast my neck must have grown an inch when I hit that stump. Rippers were set up high, and top link was trimmed out so I was only cutting maybe 2-3 inches deep. Another learning curve! I would rather have to fix up a blade than the rear end on my machine.
    I think they meant 35 engine gross Hp. Also they really should rate these things based on operating weight its probably just as important as HP if not more. The heavy duty ffc box scrapers list max gross operating weight.

    Dave

  8. #8
    Platinum Member spruce Deere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    706
    Location
    Northmost Idaho
    Tractor
    John Deere 790 w/ 300 loader

    Default Re: Sheared ripper frame

    Quote Originally Posted by dex3361 View Post
    I have done the same thing to my box blade ripper and I just fixed it and I may beef it up a little. Your ripper shank will bend sometimes instead of ripping the tubing. It happens o all of us and the reason a lot of us learn to weld.
    Welders, scrap iron, equipment and tractors have a symbiotic relationship....

    On my frontier boxblade, even with just a measly 27hp I bend rippers now and again....... Maybe I should have also mentioned a shop press in the first line also
    790 JD W/ 300 loader
    Lots of implements for loader and 3pt
    Can't do it burn'n diesel, is not worth do'n

  9. #9
    Veteran Member RDrancher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,589
    Location
    Sanger, Texas
    Tractor
    New Holland TC35D, Case TR320 CTL

    Default Re: Sheared ripper frame

    After seeing your post, I checked out my MBX. I have a couple that are starting to tear, but not as bad as yours did. After banging down and reweldiing the tears, I think I'll take a length of #5 rebar, grind it flat on one side and weld it across the bottom.
    John

    My Work & Stuff Photo Thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...to-thread.html

    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    16
    Location
    White, GA
    Tractor
    2010 McCormick CT50U

    Default Re: Sheared ripper frame

    Quote Originally Posted by spruce deere View Post
    Welders, scrap iron, equipment and tractors have a symbiotic relationship....

    On my frontier boxblade, even with just a measly 27hp I bend rippers now and again....... Maybe I should have also mentioned a shop press in the first line also
    I have a 120 MIG, but I think I will need more heat for this. As such, I was going to take it to a fab shop and have them work it over for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. frame mounting spacing on b2150 front axel frame
    By kjgces in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-23-2012, 08:07 PM
  2. Kubota B8200HST Sheared Frame Bolts
    By warriorjoe in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 09:11 PM
  3. Ripper-style? Frame-style?
    By vroom123 in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 02:46 AM
  4. Sheared bolt
    By 1BeachBum in forum Cub Cadet Tractors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 08:38 PM
  5. mid frame vs large frame compacts
    By Dirtboy in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 10:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.