Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    780
    Location
    mansfield,Il
    Tractor
    john deere

    Default Re: How much HP for a 12' disk?

    No more than you are going to use them , buy both of them . When one falls apart , go get the other one . Call the scrap man and go shopping again .

  2. #22
    Silver Member captjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    111
    Location
    Eastern Shore,MD
    Tractor
    jd 5400

    Default Re: How much HP for a 12' disk?

    i have the #37 in a 12ft and I pull it with a jd 5400 2wd its 68 hp I can pull it with a 14 ft packer behind it. It does a crappy job in a hay field. I grow teff hay and plant every year. the disk and packer dont leave a smooth field. If you do use this set up you will need to use another implement to level ground or you will have a mess of a hayfield. just my .02
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]JD 5400 W/LOADER
    A bunch of stuff to hook to it

  3. #23
    Gold Member TnWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    252
    Location
    Liberty,WV - Putnam Co.
    Tractor
    2003 Zetor 4341 w/FEL, 1975 MF 150, 2012 JD X530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captjack View Post
    i have the #37 in a 12ft and I pull it with a jd 5400 2wd its 68 hp I can pull it with a 14 ft packer behind it. It does a crappy job in a hay field. I grow teff hay and plant every year. the disk and packer dont leave a smooth field. If you do use this set up you will need to use another implement to level ground or you will have a mess of a hayfield. just my .02
    That is good info to know. It sounds as if the 37 may not be a good disc for our use if this is the case. Unless it is common, i don't think we want to have to use a separate implement to smooth after discing. Again, I have no experience using large disks outside of a 3p style on a garden. Is there any specific models/type of disc you could suggest that would leave a smoother surface appropriate for planting hay?

    Thanks
    2003 Zetor 4341 w/FEL
    1975 MF150

  4. #24
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    565
    Location
    Thornville, Ohio
    Tractor
    No longer Searching. Mahindra 3016 Shuttle

    Default Re: How much HP for a 12' disk?

    TnWV,

    I doubt that you find another brand or style disk that will do a marked difference by itself, but attaching a spike tooth or chain link fence like drag harrow behind the disk harrow will greatly smooth out the soil. You are not talking thousand or even hundreds of acres, disk a second time if needed, using the drag/chain link only on the second disking.

    I say go for the IH 37 disks.

  5. #25
    Elite Member AKfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,986
    Location
    Kasilof, Alaska
    Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; Ford Ferguson 9N: JD X300R

    Default Re: How much HP for a 12' disk?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
    TnWV,

    I doubt that you find another brand or style disk that will do a marked difference by itself, but attaching a spike tooth or chain link fence like drag harrow behind the disk harrow will greatly smooth out the soil. You are not talking thousand or even hundreds of acres, disk a second time if needed, using the drag/chain link only on the second disking.

    I say go for the IH 37 disks.
    Those discs in the pics are light duty discs, anyway. Probably around 40lbs/disc. It'll take 4-6 passes through the field to get the sod clumps broken down unless you're working pretty dry ground to begin with.

    You'd want to get the field worked up a few times before using a drag. If it's too clumpy the drag will just ball up and drop wads here and there.

    Either of your tractor's shouldn't have a problem with those discs.... unless the field is too wet!

    Note the open frame with plated bottoms. You can add weight there and get the blades to cut better if needed.

    Good luck.

    AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

  6. #26
    Super Member flusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,423
    Location
    Northern California-Tehama Co.
    Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

    Default Re: How much HP for a 12' disk?

    My wheel disc is a Minneapolis Moline KA-1300 tandem design (4 axles, 12 pans (20" size) per axle, 13-ft wide). Made by Krause. Bought it from my tractor guy ($600 including delivery).

    I can pull it with my 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, don't know the drawbar hp) in dry soil. But it bogs down fast in damp soil.

    So I cut it down to about 8 ft wide (7 pans per axle) so the 5525 can handle it in softer soil.

    -wheel-disc-3-jpg-wheel-disc-4-jpg

    Your tractors ought to be able to handle your 12-ft disc OK.

    Good luck.

  7. #27
    Gold Member TnWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    252
    Location
    Liberty,WV - Putnam Co.
    Tractor
    2003 Zetor 4341 w/FEL, 1975 MF 150, 2012 JD X530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
    TnWV,

    I doubt that you find another brand or style disk that will do a marked difference by itself, but attaching a spike tooth or chain link fence like drag harrow behind the disk harrow will greatly smooth out the soil. You are not talking thousand or even hundreds of acres, disk a second time if needed, using the drag/chain link only on the second disking.

    I say go for the IH 37 disks.
    I have 2 8'-10' chain harrows that i used to smooth my yard before seeding that could easily be attached to the disc or pulled separately after discing. I figured we would have to disc multiple times, probably different directions, especially on the ground that will be plowed.
    2003 Zetor 4341 w/FEL
    1975 MF150

  8. #28
    Gold Member TnWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    252
    Location
    Liberty,WV - Putnam Co.
    Tractor
    2003 Zetor 4341 w/FEL, 1975 MF 150, 2012 JD X530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    My wheel disc is a Minneapolis Moline KA-1300 tandem design (4 axles, 12 pans (20" size) per axle, 13-ft wide). Made by Krause. Bought it from my tractor guy ($600 including delivery).

    I can pull it with my 2008 Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, don't know the drawbar hp) in dry soil. But it bogs down fast in damp soil.

    So I cut it down to about 8 ft wide (7 pans per axle) so the 5525 can handle it in softer soil.

    <img src="http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=309141"/><img src="http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=309142"/>

    Your tractors ought to be able to handle your 12-ft disc OK.

    Good luck.
    If I could find a disc in as good of shape as yours for $600, I would buy it without question. We will have atleast that much in one of the ones we looked at after putting alot of work into it. There just isn't lot of good used equipment around here, at least not that is advertised. It seems that I have to go west of Cincinnati, or north of Columbus to find any kind of a deal on anything. I've been looking for a good 5' tiller(to run on my MF150) and a big heavy box blade for my Zetor for over a year and nothing has come up that was worth the asking price. I have finally decided to just buy a new king kutter tiller, and will continue the box blade search.
    2003 Zetor 4341 w/FEL
    1975 MF150

  9. #29
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,164
    Location
    Carroll, Ohio
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

    Default Re: How much HP for a 12' disk?

    I use the "frost seeding" method for my Rye grass. I prep the field in Oct. so the freeze/thaw cycles mellow the dirt back out. But then my field is pretty flat, but enough grade to drain well, so no erosion worries. You may want to check it out, and see if it will work for you. Too late for this year, but maybe next..?? I've had great results so far.
    Going with some Tuukka Timothy this spring, but using a slit seeder for that, as it's a warm weather grass. Hopefully it won't tear things up too bad...

  10. #30
    Gold Member TnWV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    252
    Location
    Liberty,WV - Putnam Co.
    Tractor
    2003 Zetor 4341 w/FEL, 1975 MF 150, 2012 JD X530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ54 View Post
    I use the "frost seeding" method for my Rye grass. I prep the field in Oct. so the freeze/thaw cycles mellow the dirt back out. But then my field is pretty flat, but enough grade to drain well, so no erosion worries. You may want to check it out, and see if it will work for you. Too late for this year, but maybe next..?? I've had great results so far.
    Going with some Tuukka Timothy this spring, but using a slit seeder for that, as it's a warm weather grass. Hopefully it won't tear things up too bad...
    I will look into that, I believe the idea was to disc and reseed after second cut anyway. I've cut, ted, racked, and bailed the last few years, but I've never been involved with the plow, disk, seed process, so I'm lost on what my in-laws are trying to do and trying to learn as much as I can. I didn't really realize it was, a good idea to disc without plowing. Figured it would tear up the field to the point of needing completely redone. The fields look nice and produce pretty well as is, but again I'm not an expert on this stuff.
    2003 Zetor 4341 w/FEL
    1975 MF150

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disk Harrow furrow filler disk mod
    By redka in forum Customization
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM
  2. Question about disk blades on offset disk
    By pharmvet in forum Attachments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 10:53 PM
  3. JD AW Disk Harrow 12'
    By clee4020 in forum Attachments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 12:39 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 09:53 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 10:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.