Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Super Member Gary Fowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,521
    Location
    Bismarck Arkansas
    Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

    Default Re: What shear bolt grade would you recommend?

    I would use the grade 5 as recommended. My BIL has a shear bolt 6 foot hog and with even a grade 5 bolt it will shear if he forgets to idle down his tractor before hitting the electric engagement button. I DO NOT LIKE those things as there is no way to feather in the PTO using the clutch. That is likely the worst invention that they ever put on a tractor.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

  2. #12
    Super Member RickB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,038
    Location
    Eastern NY
    Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

    Default Re: What shear bolt grade would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARCKING View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about running grade 5 bolts. At CNH (and I would assume Howse is the same) components are engineered based on grade 8 shear bolts with the assumption that someone will attempt it.
    That right there is a dangerous assumption coupled with an uninformed opinion.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

  3. #13
    Epic Contributor Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    46,366
    Location
    Central florida
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

    Default Re: What shear bolt grade would you recommend?

    ditto.

    I'd start soft and go from there.

    better to shear a cheap pin and know you need a little harder.. than to repair a driveline or gearbox due to starting at the top end..

  4. #14
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    640
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened

    Default Re: What shear bolt grade would you recommend?

    Another point. Always engage the PTO at idle speed, then increase to operating speed. It'll be less wear on the PTO clutch, driveline, and your wallet.

  5. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8
    Location
    Western PA
    Tractor
    N/A

    Default Re: What shear bolt grade would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    That right there is a dangerous assumption coupled with an uninformed opinion.
    I don't think it's a dangerous 'assumption' to use the bolts recommended by the manufacturer. I wouldn't suggest using anything with a greater shear strength than what the manufacturer recommends, but considering it's likely designed with a factor of safety, so I wouldn't be concerned running a bolt on the higher end of what is recommended. As for an uniformed opinion, I'm not sure where comes from - I make no claims to being an expert.

    I'm with the others though - start soft and work your way up.

  6. #16
    Platinum Member Henri88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    704
    Location
    Northern N.B.
    Tractor
    2008 2305 jd

    Default Re: What shear bolt grade would you recommend?

    Again, tx for all the good info. As for what the manufacture recommend, I suspect it to be more for the protection of the implement and not for the pto drive of the tractor.

    Henri
    Henri

    How could you be told I was french?

    Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

  7. #17
    Super Member RickB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,038
    Location
    Eastern NY
    Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

    Default Re: What shear bolt grade would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARCKING View Post
    I don't think it's a dangerous 'assumption' to use the bolts recommended by the manufacturer. I wouldn't suggest using anything with a greater shear strength than what the manufacturer recommends, but considering it's likely designed with a factor of safety, so I wouldn't be concerned running a bolt on the higher end of what is recommended. As for an uniformed opinion, I'm not sure where comes from - I make no claims to being an expert.

    I'm with the others though - start soft and work your way up.
    You made claims about design standards for machines manufactured all over the world by dozens of engineering groups who work independently under the CNH umbrella and as vendors to CNH, saying those machines are designed to use grade 8 shearbolts without causing collateral component failure.
    I very much doubt that you can verify that.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

  8. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8
    Location
    Western PA
    Tractor
    N/A

    Default Re: What shear bolt grade would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    You made claims about design standards for machines manufactured all over the world by dozens of engineering groups who work independently under the CNH umbrella and as vendors to CNH, saying those machines are designed to use grade 8 shearbolts without causing collateral component failure.
    I very much doubt that you can verify that.
    I don't want to take over Henri's thread defending an assumption, so let me say to anyone that may read this later and take up arms that's there's no guarantee that all machines are design to handle a shearbolt above manufacturer's specs. I'm sure that there are machines that due to cost or weight reduction/etc, are running with much smaller factors of safety. I know that some CNH platforms design for grade 8 bolts from talking to engineers in New Holland - it's good engineering design to keep that possibility in mind.

  9. #19
    Super Member Gary Fowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,521
    Location
    Bismarck Arkansas
    Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

    Default Re: What shear bolt grade would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henri88 View Post
    Again, tx for all the good info. As for what the manufacture recommend, I suspect it to be more for the protection of the implement and not for the pto drive of the tractor.

    Henri
    I think you are wrong on that assumption. The shear bolt is to protect the drive line in its entirety from tractor to implement. I totally doubt that a 3/8" bolt ( 3/8" is about a standard shear pin diameter for a 6 foot BH, yours may be smaller) of any grade is going to hold solid and not shear prior to damage happening to your 1 3/8" drive line on your tractor. The drive line on your tractor should stall the engine before damage happens. The shear pin is to protect it from sudden impact like hitting large immovable objects that immediately stop the blade rotation. Some times these shear pins fail prematurely without hitting any objects because the safety factor is so high that normal work cant be done without shearing the pin. Those times, the operator needs to get a harder pin.
    So the suggestion on starting with a grade 2 and if that fails too easily, go to a grade 5 and even a grade 8 if needed is a good one. I don't think you would damage your tractor any with any grade as long as the size is the same. As for using a smaller bolt, I wouldn't do that for sure as you will be shearing them all the time and the slack allowed in the hole would make it super easy to do. Keep the shear bolt hole filled with the proper size bolt and idle down before engaging or disengaging the PTO.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

  10. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,826
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: What shear bolt grade would you recommend?

    Henri,
    I would buy both grade 2 and 5 shear bolts, few of each as the trip to town cost alot more than the bolts. With the 2305 I would agree to try the grade 2 first and see how these hold up for you. Hard to know what to expect because conditions vary so much but I have used some shear bolts for 15 minutes and others that lasted longer than I could remember. If I was constantly changing the grade 2 then I would resort to the grade 5 but recognize that if you hit something out of the ordinary the shearbolt should break, that is its purpose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 413 shear bolt grade
    By Nicholosi in forum Attachments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 07:20 AM
  2. Grade 8 'shear-bolt' on cutter
    By hsvhobbit in forum Attachments
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
  3. What grade for shear bolt?
    By tuolumne in forum Attachments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM
  4. What grade shear bolt for subsoiler?
    By stevenf in forum Attachments
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 04:58 PM
  5. Grade 8 shear bolt confirmed!
    By SacandagaBrad in forum Attachments
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 12:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.