Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Gilsum, NH
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 & John Deere 450B

    Default Bakhoe Mount Failure on Ford 2120

    I just bought a 2000 Ford 2120 with backhoe.
    When I used it Saturday some welds broke on the mounts. These appear to be the only connecting parts between the tractor and backhoe. Is there something missing, or if not, is this a common failure, and what is the suggested repair?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -backhoe_subframe_crack_left_small_photo-jpg   -backhoe_subframe_crack_right_small_photo-jpg  

  2. #2
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    230
    Location
    Chesterfield, Mi
    Tractor
    Ford 3000 & 4400 Case 830 Case 350 dozer

    Default Re: Bakhoe Mount Failure on Ford 2120

    What were you(or someone else) doing to make that happen? Did someone have something heavy in the BH bucket then lift the stabilizers? I had a Woods 7.5' BH on a 1715 and beat the heck out of it, it would toss that little tractor around pretty good. For the fix, I would grind it really good,maybe try putting a big clamp, chain or binder on it and reweld. If that doesn't work maybe you can back up to a tree and push it back into location to tack it?

  3. #3
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Tractor
    MF 135

    Default Re: Bakhoe Mount Failure on Ford 2120

    Looks like pretty crappy welds! Have a qualified welder take a look at it. Should be able to beef it up and or gusset it. Doesn't look like too big of a job. I ripped the top swing mount right off the backhoe on my Cat. It in turn also bent the 1 1/2" thick bottom swing mount. It broke because it was a poor design. The crack started along the hole for a grease fitting. I fixed it myself but I'm sure it would have cost at least a couple thousand to have a shop fix it. The swing pins are 2 1/2" diameter.

  4. #4
    Super Member RickB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    7,590
    Location
    Eastern NY
    Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

    Default Re: Bakhoe Mount Failure on Ford 2120

    Not factory welds there. It's a repeat failure after a crappy repair. And no, that's not a common failure point in my experience.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Gilsum, NH
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 & John Deere 450B

    Default Re: Bakhoe Mount Failure on Ford 2120

    Quote Originally Posted by City Farmer View Post
    What were you(or someone else) doing to make that happen? Did someone have something heavy in the BH bucket then lift the stabilizers? I had a Woods 7.5' BH on a 1715 and beat the heck out of it, it would toss that little tractor around pretty good. For the fix, I would grind it really good,maybe try putting a big clamp, chain or binder on it and reweld. If that doesn't work maybe you can back up to a tree and push it back into location to tack it?
    I had just put it in position to start digging out around a stump, and as soon as I moved the bucket into the ground, I felt more movement than was normal.

    I can use the hoe, with the stabilizers down, to push it back into position. I was hoping some car tie down straps I have would hold it there, so I could move it around. But as suspected there is too much give in them. I need the type that use chains, of course chains with the proper strength limit.

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Gilsum, NH
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 & John Deere 450B

    Default Re: Bakhoe Mount Failure on Ford 2120

    Quote Originally Posted by Arc weld View Post
    Looks like pretty crappy welds! Have a qualified welder take a look at it. Should be able to beef it up and or gusset it. Doesn't look like too big of a job. I ripped the top swing mount right off the backhoe on my Cat. It in turn also bent the 1 1/2" thick bottom swing mount. It broke because it was a poor design. The crack started along the hole for a grease fitting. I fixed it myself but I'm sure it would have cost at least a couple thousand to have a shop fix it. The swing pins are 2 1/2" diameter.
    Sounds like a good plan, thanks.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Gilsum, NH
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 & John Deere 450B

    Default Re: Bakhoe Mount Failure on Ford 2120

    Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    Not factory welds there. It's a repeat failure after a crappy repair. And no, that's not a common failure point in my experience.
    Very good news, and that is the complete structure for supporting the back hoe, correct? One of my skilled metal working welding friends that perhaps there should be another attachment point.

    Now I just need to find a skilled welder in the Keene/Gilsum NH area that will work on it where it is. I will start looking for asking the business that graveled the driveway and the one about to drill my well.

    Thank you all for the valuable information!

  8. #8
    Super Member Scooby074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,090
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

    Default Re: Bakhoe Mount Failure on Ford 2120

    A little more detailed pics would help, but I agree with the other assessments that it is a crappy repair. The welds look a little to bubble-gummy to be factory.

    Not the hardest thing to fix if you can weld. Otherwise a call to a local welder will get it fixed and re-enforced correctly.

  9. #9
    Elite Member TomSeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,427
    Location
    timbuktu
    Tractor
    Many

    Default

    Is that a clean new break or did it break prior to you buying it? I can't tell from the pictures. Does the weld on the other side look the same? That may tell you if it was factory. My guess is the same as the others, a cheesy weld job by the previous owner and paint to hide it.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    29
    Location
    Gilsum, NH
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 & John Deere 450B

    Default Re: Bakhoe Mount Failure on Ford 2120

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    A little more detailed pics would help, but I agree with the other assessments that it is a crappy repair. The welds look a little to bubble-gummy to be factory.

    Not the hardest thing to fix if you can weld. Otherwise a call to a local welder will get it fixed and re-enforced correctly.
    My welding skills are not what is desired here, I will find a pro, and request it be gusseted, after grinding off and rusted, twisted or stretched metal. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ford 2120
    By japbud in forum New Holland Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 08:55 PM
  2. FORD 555 BAKHOE
    By GERT NEL in forum Construction Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2012, 11:25 AM
  3. Ford 2120
    By sqdqo in forum New Holland Owning/Operating
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 05:47 PM
  4. ford/NH 2120 value
    By defed in forum New Holland Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 09:18 AM
  5. Ford 2120
    By powerstf in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 01:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.