Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    3,743
    Location
    Stowe, Vermont
    Tractor
    Kubota L3240HST, KX-121-3S

    Default Roller fairlead for winch or not?

    What's the advantage of getting a roller fairlead for an ATV winch versus the non-rolling type?

    Pete
    Kubota L3240HST, LA721 FEL, Farmi 531 winch, Woods 72" Brush Bull, LandPride RB2584 blade with hydraulic angle
    Kubota KX121-3S, angle blade w/ float, hydraulic thumb
    BMW R1200GS for solo adventures
    BMW R1200GSA w/ sidecar for adventures with my dog - www.TravelsWithBarley.com

  2. #2
    Super Member Farmwithjunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,514
    Location
    Mt Washington, Kentucky
    Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

    Default Re: Roller fairlead for winch or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boondox
    What's the advantage of getting a roller fairlead for an ATV winch versus the non-rolling type?

    Pete

    If you use the winch, your cable will last longer with the roller.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

  3. #3
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    73
    Location
    North Central Illinois
    Tractor
    JD2305

    Default Re: Roller fairlead for winch or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmwithjunk
    If you use the winch, your cable will last longer with the roller.
    unless you use synthetic rope.

    steel cable I would use the roller, synthetic, I would not.

  4. #4
    Silver Member 257NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    236
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40DA

    Default Re: Roller fairlead for winch or not?

    I think they are worth the extra money.Your cable will last a lot longer,especially if you have to hook to something from a side angle.
    If you can't find something you didn't "loose" it,the word is lose.....stop wasting so many O's

  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    415
    Location
    Columbia County, PA
    Tractor
    JD1010, JD B, TC40A (new)

    Default Re: Roller fairlead for winch or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by rjgogo
    unless you use synthetic rope.

    steel cable I would use the roller, synthetic, I would not.
    This statement sums it up correctly!!!!

  6. #6
    Elite Member DieselPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,761
    Location
    Fairfield, PA
    Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

    Default Re: Roller fairlead for winch or not?

    Winch cable guides greatly increase the life of the winch cable. When they are not used the cable can roll up across itself in a X pattern. When you then load the cable the crossed section of the X tends to get crushed which shortens it's life. With a guide the cable is guided evenly across the spool so it winds up like a roll of sewing thread. Don't forget to lube your cable every once in a while to. It is a mechanical component that need's service just like your engine or transmission. A properly lubed cable can last many times longer than one that is not.

  7. #7
    Elite Member ovrszd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,742
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

    Default Re: Roller fairlead for winch or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselPower
    Winch cable guides greatly increase the life of the winch cable. When they are not used the cable can roll up across itself in a X pattern. When you then load the cable the crossed section of the X tends to get crushed which shortens it's life. With a guide the cable is guided evenly across the spool so it winds up like a roll of sewing thread. Don't forget to lube your cable every once in a while to. It is a mechanical component that need's service just like your engine or transmission. A properly lubed cable can last many times longer than one that is not.
    Whooooppss, gotta counter this statement. All of my comments below are in regards to steel cable.

    The Roller Fairlead will do nothing to guide the cable when spooling. That will be determined by the direction of pull. It's inevitable that the cable will spool tangled and crossed over when used. Don't worry about that too much while pulling unless it piles up on one end of the drum so much that it starts rubbing on the winch structure or fairlead. When you park the vehicle for the day it's very important that you unroll the cable and respool the cable manually, guiding the cable back and forth across the drum so that it is not crossed over itself and will be ready for use the next use without kinks. I do this by hooking the cable hook to a stationary object, put the winch in freespool and back the vehicle away from the hook until I have unrolled down to a good straight spool. Then I engage the winch and start spooling in cable while dragging the vehicle and guiding the cable back and forth across the spool. On my ATVs I do that while sitting on them and watching the cable spool. On my Jeeps I use my remote control and guide the cable by hand while spooling. When I'm done the cable is smoothly spooled without any kinks or crossovers.

    As for oiling the cable. I do not oil my cables. I wash them if they get packed with dirt/mud, leaving them unspooled and stretched taut until dry, then respool, guiding the cable evenly on the drum. If you oil your cable it will attract dust, sand, dirt, etc., which will become embedded in the cable and then start grinding on the cable strands every time you use it, eventually weakening the cable.

    As was stated above, use a Roller Fairlead for steel cable and a Hawse Fairlead for synthetic cable. If you try to use a Roller Fairlead on synthetic cable it will get pinched between the rollers and damage the cable. If you use a Hawse Fairlead on steel cable, the cable will wear grooves in the Fairlead and then those grooves will start cutting strands of the steel cable, weakening it until it fails. Properly use and care for your winch cable and it will give you years and years of service.
    Richard
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

  8. #8
    Elite Member DieselPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,761
    Location
    Fairfield, PA
    Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

    Default Re: Roller fairlead for winch or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd
    Whooooppss, gotta counter this statement. All of my comments below are in regards to steel cable.

    The Roller Fairlead will do nothing to guide the cable when spooling. That will be determined by the direction of pull. It's inevitable that the cable will spool tangled and crossed over when used. Don't worry about that too much while pulling unless it piles up on one end of the drum so much that it starts rubbing on the winch structure or fairlead. When you park the vehicle for the day it's very important that you unroll the cable and respool the cable manually, guiding the cable back and forth across the drum so that it is not crossed over itself and will be ready for use the next use without kinks. I do this by hooking the cable hook to a stationary object, put the winch in freespool and back the vehicle away from the hook until I have unrolled down to a good straight spool. Then I engage the winch and start spooling in cable while dragging the vehicle and guiding the cable back and forth across the spool. On my ATVs I do that while sitting on them and watching the cable spool. On my Jeeps I use my remote control and guide the cable by hand while spooling. When I'm done the cable is smoothly spooled without any kinks or crossovers.

    As for oiling the cable. I do not oil my cables. I wash them if they get packed with dirt/mud, leaving them unspooled and stretched taut until dry, then respool, guiding the cable evenly on the drum. If you oil your cable it will attract dust, sand, dirt, etc., which will become embedded in the cable and then start grinding on the cable strands every time you use it, eventually weakening the cable.

    As was stated above, use a Roller Fairlead for steel cable and a Hawse Fairlead for synthetic cable. If you try to use a Roller Fairlead on synthetic cable it will get pinched between the rollers and damage the cable. If you use a Hawse Fairlead on steel cable, the cable will wear grooves in the Fairlead and then those grooves will start cutting strands of the steel cable, weakening it until it fails. Properly use and care for your winch cable and it will give you years and years of service.
    True, you might have problems with roller fairlead's. Personally all my tow trucks and the tow trucks I work on have LevelWinder spool guides. Super simple design that works great.

    As for lubrication of the cable you might want to check with ANY winch cable manufacturer. You will find that lubrication is a normal part of cable maintenance. That's why all major lubricant manufacturers make "cable lube". They are not as sticky as you might think though. Most use some form of solid film lubrication like Moly. Here are two excellent articles on wire rope and lubrication practices.

    http://www.unols.org/publications/wi..._cable_lub.PDF

    Lubrication Basics for Wire Ropes

  9. #9
    Elite Member ovrszd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,742
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

    Default Re: Roller fairlead for winch or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselPower
    True, you might have problems with roller fairlead's. Personally all my tow trucks and the tow trucks I work on have LevelWinder spool guides. Super simple design that works great.

    As for lubrication of the cable you might want to check with ANY winch cable manufacturer. You will find that lubrication is a normal part of cable maintenance. That's why all major lubricant manufacturers make "cable lube". They are not as sticky as you might think though. Most use some form of solid film lubrication like Moly. Here are two excellent articles on wire rope and lubrication practices.

    http://www.unols.org/publications/wi..._cable_lub.PDF

    Lubrication Basics for Wire Ropes
    Yep, definitely mixing apples and oranges here. A spool guide is a total different fruit from a fairlead. As for lube, in your business it's probably a good idea. For me, my winch cable use works better dry.
    Richard
    Kubota M9540, JD2210

  10. #10
    Silver Member EdK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    122
    Location
    Central NH
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Case 580E Super

    Default Re: Roller fairlead for winch or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselPower
    Personally all my tow trucks and the tow trucks I work on have LevelWinder spool guides. Super simple design that works great.
    Can you please provide any more info on this? A web search just brought up a couple of references to huge offshore marine winches. I might like to get/make something like this for my home-brewed logging winch.

    Thanks, Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.