RTV 900/1100 w/Snow Plow

/ RTV 900/1100 w/Snow Plow #1  

OrangeGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L3430 HSTC
Does anyone have a Kubota 72" hydraulic angled snow plow with their RTV 900/1100? How does it work? Does the front end slide away from the snow in heavy or deep snow? How is the visability to the blade? How do you operate the controls? lift/lower and angle? Does the steel edge leave marks/rust on concrete? What tires are best?

I am looking at a new place with a 1000' asphalt driveway and a 25' by 40' concrete pad in front of the garage. I would like to park an RTV (preferably the 1100) in the garage and drive right out in snow plowing mode.

Any help will be appreciated.

OrangeGuy

/ RTV 900/1100 w/Snow Plow
No responses! Looks like a snow plow on an RTV is not a popular option. They are probably too light to be effective in deep or wet snow. Too bad, this could have given me a reason to purchase an RTV.

OrangeGuy

/ RTV 900/1100 w/Snow Plow #3  
We've sold both the Kubota as well as a couple of other brands. They will push to the side in heavy conditions but they do a good job and have suprised me as to how much they will push.

Thanks Art! I have a Kubota F2260 Front Mower that I have used a 60" snow plow. It worked pretty well especially with snow chains on all wheels. The RTV 1100 appears to be quite a bit heavier so it may handle a 72" as well as the F2260. Can you put tire chains on the RTV? Front and back?

OrangeGuy

/ RTV 900/1100 w/Snow Plow #5  
Just saw your post, I have an RTV 900 with a snow plow and it works very well for snow removal. Mine is an electric/hydraulic lift with manual angle. The hydraulic angle would be handy but was not available when I got mine. It is real easy to hop out and adjust the angle and with a 660' driveway, I do not need to do it very often. It sure beats using a back blade on the tractor, because you don't have to crank your head around and drive backward and the RTV has a heated cab and the tractor has no cab. I think you will like a snow blade on yours.
You raise the blade with a dash mounted button. The blade has shoes that are supposed to keep the edge out of the gravel but they don't and are too small. I made a larger set that works better. I don't beieve you will leave any rust on your concrete simply because the blade edge gets polished real quick. If your concrete is smooth finished, it will not gouge or scuff. I have ATP 589 tires on the RTV and they work very well in snow and mud.

Thanks Dozernut! This is exactly the information I was looking for.

OrangeGuy

/ RTV 900/1100 w/Snow Plow #7  
Orangeguy,

I do not know specifically about the Kubota blade, but I have had a winch operated 72" Eagle Plow for my (now sold) HPX Gator and I plan to get another for my new XUV. These machines, your Kubota included will plow snow great. I must say, having plowed with several varieties of garden tractors, two larger compact tractors--one with rear blade; one with front, and the Gator, the Gator is BY FAR the most efficient plowing machine. Your Kubota is heavy enough and the additional speed at which you can plow makes all the difference. You might be able to save some money by going with an Eagle Plow, they are not so heavy but are really curved well. True they are not as fancy as a good hydraulic plow, but they are quite durable and efficient. If you choose to go with the Kubota plow, I would have zero reservations about buying a plow to use on this machine. It will do a fine job. If you have aggressive tires you will not need chains. If you get chains I personally would only chain the back, not the front. 72" is the standard size blade for most UTV's in snow (except the Yamaha I think). Anything smaller and you cannot cover the width of the machine when plowing when the blade is angled.

John M

Thanks jcmseven! I will check out the Eagle plows.

OrangeGuy

/ RTV 900/1100 w/Snow Plow #9  
OrangeGuy said:
Thanks jcmseven! I will check out the Eagle plows.

OrangeGuy
I bought the Kubota plow which is a Curtis made snow plow for my RTV 900 (2006 model)I have the electric lift and manual angle.This was the first year i used it and it wroked very well.I paid around $1,400 installed.Blizzard plow comp.also makes a plow for the RTV 900 but they are very pricey $3,000 but very heavy duty.coobie

/ RTV 900/1100 w/Snow Plow #10  
Sorry - haven't been hanging around this forum for awhile.

I have a 700 foot driveway and use a Worksite RTV900 with the Curtis plow and the hydraulic angle kit. This set up has worked just fine for me the last three winters. I have the HDW tires but I also use a set of chains on the rear. This set up is effective up to about 18" of snow then it becomes a problem with the RTV900 and the plow riding up over the snow - the wheels loose traction and you can get stuck faily easy. If there's a big storm I try and get a jump on it and plow when there's about a foot. It's the first pass that's the hardest when you have to push the full width of the blade - after that you can feather the cut depending on the depth and weight of the snow.

Most storms under a foot offer no problems and can be plowed in just a few passes - remember to plow a much wider path than you need as the edges can freeze and the next time you have to plow you won't be able to push the snow as far to the sides.

The hydraulic angle kit is a must in my book as it allows you to stay in the cab and not loose the heat that the wimpy heater manages to build up. I paid $500 for the kit and installed it myself.

I've kept my snowblower and have had to use it on a couple of occassions to dig out the RTV900 when it got stuck by trying to bite off too much for it to handle. Now that that's happen a couple of times I know what to avoid so it doesn't get overpowered by the task.

Last edited: