Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 2320; 4520

Default Power Steering to Gator

Fellow Posters,

I have been thinking of late of a little project to pursue. I have thought about seeing if I could work a factory-like power steering system to my current Gator. One aspect about my Gator I do not like is that it is manual steering. In most cases this is adequate, but for me, I do a lot of slow work and run larger tires which are aggressively-treaded. I also plan to plow some with the machine in winter, so the heavy snow blade will likely make the machine more difficult to steer when having to pull up and back up in tight quarters. I did not know if anyone currently offers such a system, or if it could be rigged (nicely) from the existing JD parts bin. I was thinking specifically of the JD garden tractors. They have a really nice steering system which is very simple. I would like to see if this could be fitted to the Gator for limited cost to allow it PS. Any thoughts???

John M

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 2520

Default Re: Power Steering to Gator

I'm sure it can be done, it's just harder to do when your the first to try it. I followed an example and put Toy Land Cruiser power steering on my Samurai. I was sure deere would have included p/s on the new xuv, but maybe next year. JC
    JD 3320 LX5, KK rake and off brand box and rear blade. Millonzi grapple. Deere X495 for grass cutting.
    01 Ram 4x4 2500 CTD and 22' 12k trailer. Want a tiller and dump trailer.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota 95x zd331 rtv1100 polaris rzr s m274a2mule

i had a john deere 430 lawn mower with power steering, but it also was hydro drive and had hydro remotes for front blade. does the new gator have hydro on the dump bed or on any other systems? if it does it seems like you would be able to fit.

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, Gator HPX 4x4, 14SB, Honda TRX 420 FE

Hopefully by the time I am ready to trade my '04 HPX power steering will be available... I sure don't have the ability to do it myself...

Tractor
    gator hpx 4x4

my brother is runs a hydrualic crane company i can ask hime to come look at mine and see what he can do . the only thing is he don't come over much.loli was building hydralic cranes for the same company when i got hurt . years ago you could rig up i simple pump that is ran by the steering wheel it works just as good as regular hydralics.and all you need is a little tank about a quart and the parts . and the best place to look for them parts are a boating store they seel alot of them why do you think them guys can turn them big 3 200 evenrudes with one finger. i instaled a few of them on boats. so to find your parts try lookin in a good boat supply store.

Tractor
    gator hpx 4x4

this would be a good steering pump start or something like it .there are 12volt one too. these are some system that might work if you could sit down and cut and weld but i'm sure after you had them in it would be like cutting hot butter with a knife.
    West Marine: 24' NFB SeaStar® 1.7 Steering Kit Product Display

West Marine: Power Assist Hydraulic Steering Pump Product Display
    West Marine: Compact Helm, 2.0 Displacement Product Display