Moving firewood with UTV?

/ Moving firewood with UTV? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
I have a bunch of dead wood to thin out and move down to my cabin. Property is 40 hilly acres. Which do you think is better, buck into firewood size pieces and load into a trailer (plus the XUV's bed), or skid log-length pieces and buck the logs at the cabin?

If trailer, what type?

Thanks for you opinions,

Dave
Colorado

/ Moving firewood with UTV? #2  
Taking a small load in the UTV gives more rest periods. I got an RTV and I put up 40 face cords a year with it.

/ Moving firewood with UTV? #3  
I have 76 acres and i haul a boatload of firewood in my Yamaha Rhino. I have done it both ways and i found that cutting it into small pieces and then hauling it in the rhino and trailer is alot easier.
The trailer question is a really good one. This is one of those subject where you truly do get what you pay for. I went through 3 trailers before i found a Nichols trailer. I eneded up having my buddy make me a copy of the Nichols.
If i had to actually pay full retail price for one I think I would buy the Mountain Goat trailer. They are both about $1,000 but again, you get what you pay for... Nichols also makes a logging arch you might be interested in...

Mountain Goat All Terrain Trailer by S&T Mfg. buy trailer, options online.
|| Nichols Trailers of Wilton, Maine || Welcome! ||

/ Moving firewood with UTV? #4  
I've seen these carry-alls at TSC and thought they would be handy for such a task.
See attached picture.

Attachments

• carry all.jpg
    carry all.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 405
   / Moving firewood with UTV?
I have seen the Nichols trailer on the internet, but not the Mountain Goat. The Mule trailer looks interesting. Anybody know what type of hitch they are set up to use?