Better tires for Mule 3010 4x4

/ Better tires for Mule 3010 4x4 #1  

john_bud

Hi,

Here are a few pictures of the mule with new rear tires on stock rims. By the way, Walmart super centers will mount ATV tires for $5 each. A deal.

These are Interco Swamp Lite's in size 25x11-10. That is tire code for 25" OD, 11" section width and 10 inch rims. They are mounted on the factory rims. The factory rims are 10" tall by 8.5" wide. It seems to be working fine, but they have been on for less than an hour.... Price was $279 delivered to my door. Here's a link. Interco SwampLite Tires: Trax Motorsports

I ordered from them at 10:30 Friday Morning 10/26 and the first two tires showed up today 10/30. Not bad! I was expecting all 4 tires, but the other two seem to be delayed.

(NOTE: I found a eb seller that quoted me $254 to my door for the same tires. Naturally, he gave me the quote an hour after I ordered! His name is "dustin6364" and can be found by searching, should you be interested. I had not had any dealings with him, so buyer beware.)

Actual OD on these are a little over 26". The factory tire is a Dunlop KT869 in size 23x11-10 which is a 4 ply rated tire. Actual size according to the Dunlop web page is 23.98", so the size is giving an extra inch of ground clearance. That's good as I did hit bottom with the factory tires when in ruts.

Other options were Dirt Devil II, and Kenda BearClaw and ITP Mud Lite. Those all seemed to be good options but I settled on these for a good combination of trail riding and mud crossing. I didn't want the massive mud lug tires like Kenda Executioner, 589's or Mud Bugs. Those looked to be too lumpy when ridding. I hope this was a good choice as the trail to my land is now a mud bog from a combination of a LOT of rain and heavy clay.

From a lot of reading, the 25x11 size had pretty much universal fit with out rubbing and not needing the extra expense ($200-400 depending on the wheel) of new larger diameter wheels. BUT, I do want more ground clearance so a lift kit is on the way to gain an extra 2". I'll post more pictures of the mule when the front tires are on and the lift kit installed.

Hope this is interesting for mule owners.

jb

rearon.jpg

rearview.jpg

sidebyside.jpg

Tread.jpg

/ Better tires for Mule 3010 4x4 #2  
Hey! That embossed condor on the sidewalls is worth a couple hundred bucks just by itself.;)

Nice looking tires for extra traction and lift. I'm interested is seeing how they hold up and what your Mule looks like with all four mounted. As long as you stay on dirt or gravel, they should last a long time. I'm not sure how they would work on asphalt or concrete, but they aren't designed for that anyway. I also like the extra clearance. The Mule just sits too low to use on very rough terrain.

/ Better tires for Mule 3010 4x4
Jim,

Your request is (partially) granted....

I finally got ahold of the company that I ordered the lift kit from. They can't get it and didn't think to tell me about it. Harumph! Some service.

And, yes, the front end rubs....

acloseupfronttire.jpg

amuleattreeheight.jpg

Amuleonahill.jpg

amulewithnewshoes.jpg

/ Better tires for Mule 3010 4x4 #4  
Just take your time & take it easy,

Don't hit no bad stump holes, and try NOT to jump over big rocks ~~~~

YOU'LL BE OK !!!! :eek:

/ Better tires for Mule 3010 4x4 #5  
John Bud I have 26 in swamplites on my 3010 trans and love them. I got my lift of the net at motoxmall, I think it was 129.00 and made by essex. With my lift and 26 inch tires the bottom of my mule is 17 1/2 off the ground at the floor. When you order a kit get the one designed for a cab. Its a stiffer ride but you wont bottom out. If you need any tips installing a kit let me know.

Mocassincreekranch,

Oh Boy! The company I ordered the lift kit from was (drum roll please) MotoXmall. After a week, they failed to ship, failed to answer 3 emails, failed to answer the phone during working hours all this week but finally called back. They claimed that they can no longer get the lift kit from Essex and had no time when they expected to be able to get it, but wanted to keep my order. (No thanks!) I called Essex and they ONLY sell the lift kits with their tires. I told them that many places were advertising them separately and they said they are "taking care of that". My guess is that's why MotoXmall couldn't ship to me. I would have appreciated knowing about the issue sooner. I ordered the lift kit first, but now have all 4 tires mounted and a rub with just me in it slowly going over small bumps. :(

I do have a question on the shock spacers. Do you reposition the shock isolator (the rubber deal) into the spacer when the shock is off? Also, my tires on stock rims are just touching the spring cup. It looks like it can be cut and the spring won't touch, but....

Also, how much stuff did you have to remove to get the shocks out?

I found a place that just sells the spacers ($36) and will have them to me in a couple days. And I found a place that sells the cab springs for $26 each, $20 shipping, but still less than the local places and I don't have to drive 28 miles each way to get them. I'll be installing them probably next week and home fabbing up shackle extensions. In your kit, how long are they bolt center to bolt center?

The tires seem like they will do the job, but with the rub issue they won't be seeing any use. Will have to get a lift to hunting camp from a buddy and his Polaris.

/ Better tires for Mule 3010 4x4 #7  
john_bud said:
Jim,

Your request is (partially) granted....

I finally got ahold of the company that I ordered the lift kit from. They can't get it and didn't think to tell me about it. Harumph! Some service.

And, yes, the front end rubs....

Bummer about the rubbing. Did you try Essex for your lift kit?

Essex Mfg.

Well, I answered one of my own questions. The strut comes out with the top nut and rubber piece still attached. I found a guy that is selling the mule manuals online PDF format for $7.50. Got a copy.

Will be eagerly waiting for my parts for the front lift.

Will be making my own rear lift with the help of a friend that has a metal lathe. Will add 1.5" of additional length. Sound ok?

Jim, I strongly suspected that the tires would be rubbing. My front end has always been saggy. (The mule has been low in the front too!) The drive axles are actually angled up a bit and lifting the front up 1" is needed just to make them level. The lift parts should make it a much better rough trail machine.

jb

/ Better tires for Mule 3010 4x4 #10  
John_Bud. A few tips on your install.
Remove the front inside tub under the hood,worth the 5 minutes. Now you can get to all the bolts. Jack up the front end and take the wheels off. Get some spring compressors this will save you sanity. Compress the spring before trying to remove them. The rear shackle's are 2 inches longer. Take a small bottle jack and install it between the springs and the frame and pump it a few times to lower the springs to reattach the shackles. Post up if I can help. Here is my ride
103_0285.jpg
[/IMG]