Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV

/ Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV #1  

Leon Wittner

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - L2800, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota ZTR 124Z
I am going to buy a UV and am trying to decide between Polaris and Kubota.

I am a loyal Kabota owner (love my L-2800 Tractor) but looking at the reviews on the Utility Vehicles the Polaris Ranger 6X6 looks like a real machine with more speed and traction with the six tires. I am trying to get prices on both but I thought I would ask the opinion of the folks on TractorByNet since I have gotten some good advise and learned a lot on this site. Any input?

/ Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV #2  
What will you be using the vehicle for? Do you need the floatation of 6 wheels? Wheel you drive any where you will have issues with the additional lenghth. I have never driven one of the 6X6 Polaris, just my Ranger XP, but I hear they will go any where.

Leon Wittner said:
I am going to buy a UV and am trying to decide between Polaris and Kubota.

I am a loyal Kabota owner (love my L-2800 Tractor) but looking at the reviews on the Utility Vehicles the Polaris Ranger 6X6 looks like a real machine with more speed and traction with the six tires. I am trying to get prices on both but I thought I would ask the opinion of the folks on TractorByNet since I have gotten some good advise and learned a lot on this site. Any input?

/ Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV
Lenghth is not a problem I will be using it at my summer home in Canyon Creek Montana and the six wheels looked good to me since they are probably more stable on slopes. I will be using it to go down to the streem, run to the mailbox and probably use it on some of the back roads. I may also run to some of my neihbors houses on the main hiway and the 40 MPH looked good for road operation on the Montana back roads.

/ Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV #4  
Sounds good. From what I have heard and seen on some videos the 6X6 will climb anything. I know I am amaxed with the climbing ability of my 4X4 Ranger. Sometimes I will see how far I can go below I have to lock the rear end and then I see how far I can go before I have to engage the 4 wheel drive.

Leon Wittner said:
Lenghth is not a problem I will be using it at my summer home in Canyon Creek Montana and the six wheels looked good to me since they are probably more stable on slopes. I will be using it to go down to the streem, run to the mailbox and probably use it on some of the back roads. I may also run to some of my neihbors houses on the main hiway and the 40 MPH looked good for road operation on the Montana back roads.

/ Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV #5  
FWIW, I have compared the 6x6 and ranger as well as the RTV. The Polaris dealer told me if I was going to use the 6x6 on turf/yard it would tear the turf up when turning because of all 6 wheels turning. Don't know if this is true or not.

David

/ Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV #6  
Is it full time 6wd? Does it have a diff lock? If the diff is always locked it will certainly tear up the lawn.

/ Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV #7  
The first thing I would look at the transmission. Kubota=HST. Polaris=CVT. A CVT uses a belt and 2 sheaves to control acceleration and offers little or no engine braking. HST is a much better (IMHO) set up and will probably result in much less maintaince. I have compared a number of UV's (particulary deisel) and I keep coming back to the Kubota as the best built. Admitidly, there are faster, better hill climbers and so on, so I quess you would have to decide what you expect from it.

/ Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV #8  
Leon,

I have a Ranger 6x6 I've owned since 1998. It's fast, impossible to get stuck, but requires slightly wider turns on the lawn (with front wheels disengaged) than my neighbors Kubota 900 RTV. In 9 years, my only maintenance has been routine oil changes and greasing. For chasing around the farm, the Ranger has served me well.

By the way, I have two Kubota pieces of equipment that I am very well satisfied with.

OrangeGuy

/ Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV #9  
The 6x6 is a good machine. Tested and run, done research for about two years before purchasing the RTV. It really depends on your applications. I Myself, will never again own a belt driven anything, after owning this RTV. I am not knocking any other UV's, for there is some great ones out there. The RTV is strong as a OX, but it's slower on speed, get about 25 mph out of mine. But not ever in such that big of a hurry. And that engine brake on the RTV, is the best thing since the wheel was invented. If you have any hills whatsoever, this is the stuff. The RTV has a two-stage tranny, that pulls it butt off. The deisel is not loud as a person would think.
I tried the Ranger, Rhino, Mule, Husky (Club-Car), each having them for about two weeks each on the plantation. Then I tried out the RTV. Without a doubt, this was the ONLY machine that the plantation will ever purchase as far as utility vehicles. They all have good points, some have down-side issues, but if anybody would ever test fire the RTV, they would never look no further. And now, folks is fixin' to have another choice in mid 2008, the Honda with a hydo tranny. Don't let price ever make a decision on this kind of equipment, go cheap, you will get cheap, we've all have seen that in years gone by ........
Plans are to purchase another Kubota RTV 900, and a 1100 series this coming up spring !!! We love "em **********
There is so much to learn on the RTV, take a trip over to
Compact Tractor Review - Kubota RTV Owners Group
and read about 'em. You will enjoy !!!!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

/ Ranger 6X6 or Kubota UV
Thanks for the input I made my decision today after looking and driving both. The Kabota RTV 900 is the way I am going to go since it is better built and has the hydraulic dump bed, constructed of metal not plastic, has hydraulic power take off on the rear to run power tools. That deisel engine is sweet and if it is like my L-2800 it runs on 5 Gallons forever.

I have no need for the speed and the sales person at Polaris did tell me the 6X6 does tear up lawns (not that I have any).

Best of all it is cheaper than the Polaris at current sale price of $10,990 with two year zero percent financing.