Test drive of RTV 1100

/ Test drive of RTV 1100 #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
Test drove RTV 1100 and 900 yesterday. Both are nice units but probably not what I am looking for. The top end speed was anemic on both and top end power seemed a little weak. The engineering seems light years ahead of other units. The diesel engines are sweet and the transmission is gigantic and complex compared to CVT transmissions used by most companies. I would guess the cost of the transmission exceeds the cost of the diesel engines. I drove my friend's 2006 Polaris ranger XP, and it was much faster and the ride over rough terain was superb. Smoother than any pickup. We have a few miles of open road on the farm and the slowness of the Kubota is a negative. The speedometer read 23 mph on flat asphalt. 30 mph would be more reasonable.
The 1100 cab is fantastic. Car-like and deluxe. Power steering makes turning effortless. (Some ATVs are now also available with power steering). The cab noise level was a little higher than I expected and a little more sound deadening is needed. It would be a little difficult to have a casual conversation in the cab. Sound deading on the doors and exposed metal areas would go a long way and add little to the cost. I wish the window on the cab doors would flip open. A one way pressure relief port/opening in the cab would also help with closing doors due to air tight cab.
I was kind of surprised that both diesel engines seem to have a fast idle when sitting. Seems to be higher than expected for a diesel or even gas for that matter. Also at full speed, the engines seem like they should rev higher. I would be curious to see the operating rpms on these units. Turning on the A/C had no noticeable affect on the performance or noticeable change in the engine.
Both units had the worksite tires and will probably suffer in the mud. My preference would be atv/recreation tires.

/ Test drive of RTV 1100 #3  
You are absolutely right that the diesel in the 1100 is not operating anywhere near its potential. I had my machine for less than an hour before I made some minor adjustments. My top speed is almost 30 mph with stock worksite tires. There is definetely more to be had, I am reluctant to make any further adjustments until I get a tach.

I had a zd28 which has the same diesel as the 1100. At WOT, the zd was humming...the 1100, in stock form, runs at a high idle with your foot to the floor, no where near its redline. I am not sure why Kubota detunes the 1100, my guess is they want to limit its top speed. I will say I don't know if I would want to go a whole lot faster than maybe 35 mph as this is a big heavy machine that is not built for speed.

/ Test drive of RTV 1100
mikeyd
If it could get 35 mph, that would be plenty of speed for the size and weight. I would also think maybe some adjustment to lower the idle speed and then adjust the responsiveness of the transmission to the lower idle speed would overall help the top end speed. I noticed multiple linkages on the transmission and some of those probably allow some adjustment to obtain a more desired performance. A larger diameter tire may help as well. The gearing of the beast is plenty low for about any task. Just needs more top end.
I believe the ASAE (american society of automotive engineers) has guidelines for the speed of units like these. They chose many years ago to have 25mph as the high end. Polaris, Yamha and others just ignore them. Following the guidelines does give the company some legal backing in case of accidents.

/ Test drive of RTV 1100 #5  
Excellent review, just the stuff we want to hear.
Can the 1100 come standard with ATV type tyres eg:AT489/589
Or is this a dealer fit job?
Does the 1100 maintain a reasonable turn of speed going up a gradient?
What about potential for towing a load?

/ Test drive of RTV 1100 #6  
The cables you see near the transmission operate the throttle. With a little adjustment of these cables it is relatively easy to get more out of the 1100. I did notice the high idle when I first got the machine, so I lowered that as well. To do that you have to adjust the hand throttle cable as it attaches to the bottom of the throttle lever and prevents the lever from bottoming on the idle screw when you try to lower it. It takes a little time, its real tight in there, but basically you need to adjust one cable to get more WOT and adjust the hand throttle cable to lower the idle. I ended up moving the WOT cable to the far side of the perch to get more travel out of the cable and moving the hand throttle cable to the near side of the perch so it would bottom on the idle screw. You also need to adjust the WOT and idle screw accordingly. Takes a little time and patience, but makes a noticable difference in the performance of the machine. The reason I say there is more there is because the throttle lever has different holes where the cable attaches which can lenghten and shorten the throw.

/ Test drive of RTV 1100
mikeyd said:
The cables you see near the transmission operate the throttle. With a little adjustment of these cables it is relatively easy to get more out of the 1100. I did notice the high idle when I first got the machine, so I lowered that as well. To do that you have to adjust the hand throttle cable as it attaches to the bottom of the throttle lever and prevents the lever from bottoming on the idle screw when you try to lower it. It takes a little time, its real tight in there, but basically you need to adjust one cable to get more WOT and adjust the hand throttle cable to lower the idle. I ended up moving the WOT cable to the far side of the perch to get more travel out of the cable and moving the hand throttle cable to the near side of the perch so it would bottom on the idle screw. You also need to adjust the WOT and idle screw accordingly. Takes a little time and patience, but makes a noticable difference in the performance of the machine. The reason I say there is more there is because the throttle lever has different holes where the cable attaches which can lenghten and shorten the throw.
When you slowed down the idle, did the engine vibration become to noticeable. The rear view mirror on the 1100 vibrated quite a bit even at fast idle. The bracket on the rear view mirror was a thin piece of flat steel and is prone to any minimal vibration. - Not well designed.

/ Test drive of RTV 1100 #8  
radman1 said:
When you slowed down the idle, did the engine vibration become to noticeable. The rear view mirror on the 1100 vibrated quite a bit even at fast idle. The bracket on the rear view mirror was a thin piece of flat steel and is prone to any minimal vibration. - Not well designed.

Did not notice any appreciable additional vibration with lowered idle. As far as the rear view mirror, never noticed, honestly, I never use it, just look over my sholder.