XUV / HPX excluded from Trail System?

/ XUV / HPX excluded from Trail System? #1  

downtoearth

Tractor
JD 4110, 2005 Gator TX
Hello All! Don't post often, but a recent issue attracted my attention concerning UTVs. Some of my friends recently returned from a planned UTV trail ride at the Hatfield-McCoy Trail system in southern West Virginia. One was highly disappointed after making the several hour trek through the mountains when he was advised that his John Deere Gator XUV was not allowed on the trail system. For those that are not familiar, the Hatfield-McCoy trail system includes several hundreds of miles of trails open to motorcycles, ATVs and UTVs. Curiously enough, all models of Kawasaki Mules are allowed as well as Kubota RTVs. Now those are fine machines and I would certainly own either, but the Mules and RTVs do not have the ground clearance, the suspension travel, the ground speed, or "true" 4WD capability of the XUV for use on these trails. I cannot see why the XUV would be excluded as it has a spark arrestor, ROPS, bucket seat with seat belts, etc. just like the other manufacturers models.

I wrote earlier requesting a response from the trail system and just received a simple response that they were not allowed...period...no explanation. I have posted comments on the message forums on their website trails and regulations area to attempt to solicit support and a response on the issue:http://www.trailsheaven.com/bbs/thread.aspx?thread=40

I currently own a 2005 JD Gator TX (2WD w/ suspension) and am considering the purchase of a new 4WD model for use at my property. I can't help but to consider the better trade-in on my Gator with John Deere and the simple fact that the JD Gator XUV better suits my needs at my property...HOWEVER, I enjoy the occasional trip with the boys on a trail ride. I had a bad experience with a Polaris Ranger (mechanically) and it left a bad taste in my mouth for Polaris. The Mule seems somewhat outdated and the RTV is super nice, but also seems to be super heavy for the wet areas of the property, somewhat large for the wife, and somewhat tractor-like in its uphill acceleration and overall speed (just my brief trial run around a similar property with a 2006 model...may need to look again to see if they are improved). I really think John Deere should speak up on the trail issue as a company in support of their product and XUV and HPX users should as well because if this spreads to other trail systems, it could result in the loss of sales and less product innovation and development by JD. And who knows, in years ahead, other UTVs from other manufacturers may be prohibited.

/ XUV / HPX excluded from Trail System? #2  
Are the trails limited by vehicle width?

/ XUV / HPX excluded from Trail System? #3  
Skipholiday said:
Are the trails limited by vehicle width?

Is the XUV wider then the RTV? I wouldn't think so but without looking up the XUV to know its width the RTV is 60" wide and I would think the XUV is about the same.

It is probably one of those stupid rules that serves no real purpose. If it did they should have given a reasonable answer when questioned about it.

/ XUV / HPX excluded from Trail System? #4  
Deere states the xuv as 59.3" wide.
Hmmm something isn't right~!

Who owns those trails?

/ XUV / HPX excluded from Trail System? #5  
   / XUV / HPX excluded from Trail System? #7  
Did they allow Rangers?

D.

/ XUV / HPX excluded from Trail System? #8  
i had read a writeup a while back about the trails being only setup for utv's 50" or 55"and under .but something about you need to write to your senators and get them from standing around the cofee maker and spend some money making them little bridges and crossing wider. so get that pen and paper out and start writing tell them how you feel.

/ XUV / HPX excluded from Trail System? #9  
TOMMYHPX4X4 said:
i had read a writeup a while back about the trails being only setup for utv's 50" or 55"and under .but something about you need to write to your senators and get them from standing around the cofee maker and spend some money making them little bridges and crossing wider. so get that pen and paper out and start writing tell them how you feel.

There is a CFR, Code of Federal Regulations that state how wide a vehicle can be to go onto these trails on federal property. I had my Ranger on a trail in Bankhead Forest last December and almost got a ticket. Fortunately the park ranger there was intelligent and I was able to discuss the situation with him. Unlike the crazy nut job volunteer that called me in to the ranger.

/ XUV / HPX excluded from Trail System? #10  
I thought surely you were wrong, but I looked up the rules and you were not.
TRAIL RULES
I guess they have not taken a look at the trail gator or xuv. Every other utv is on the approved list. Email them again and ask to get the Deeres allowed and send them the specs off the Deere website. I can't see why it would get approval. JC