Hydraulic or Winch?

/ Hydraulic or Winch? #1  

ghia1

I've been shopping around for a snow blade and the associated hardware for my 2001 John Deere 6X4 diesel gator and have run into a question that didn't cross my mind until this past weekend...

Should I use a hydraulic system to raise and lower the blade or should I use a winch?

I was at a "Polaris" dealership inquiring about an after-market snow blade setup when the salesman asked me what type of winch I was interested in. Until that moment I was only thinking hydraulic because that's the setup John Deere uses with their snow blade system.

I thought I had better do some thinking on the subject before making that decision. My immediate thought is that a winch setup offers itself to various uses other than merely raising and lowering a snowblade. I'm not certain that a hydraulic setup offers as much once the snow blade is removed when the season ends.

The salesman suggests a Wren brand winch and says that he would typically use a 2500 lb capacity winch for this purpose but a 3000 lb capacity Wren wouldn't cost much more.

Any thoughts or suggestions on any of this would be appreciated.

/ Hydraulic or Winch? #2  
Go with the 3,000 pound winch. End of story

/ Hydraulic or Winch? #3  
With the winch, do you get any down pressure other than the plow's weight?

/ Hydraulic or Winch?
Wow, good question FatTire.

Yet another thing that I didn't think of. But, now that you mention it, I would think that the weight of the plow is the only down pressure present when using the plow.

How about a hydraulic system? Is one able to direct the blade down further to cut into snow that might be packed? I can see how a blade that is lifted and lowered with a winch would not cut into snow that has become packed but instead would ride above it.

/ Hydraulic or Winch? #5  
I have not done the research on a deere plow, but the plows we have on our farm trucks have a seperate button to add hydraulic down pressure to the blade. This doesn't always guarantee you can pick up packed snow, but it really helps when trying to drag snow back away from an object with the back of the blade, as opposed to pushing with the front edge.

/ Hydraulic or Winch? #6  
even with the hydraulic you don't have any down pressure

/ Hydraulic or Winch? #7  
My mule is at the dealer getting a 72" blade and 2500lb winch installed this week. Opted to go with the winch because of its usefulness when the blade is removed.

/ Hydraulic or Winch? #8  
With my Deere hydraulic plow, you do get down pressure. The plow can be lowered 3 inches below level, meaning on level ground the front of the XUV lifts up 3 inches if you lower the plow fully. (This is not enough to lift the front tires off the ground, but there is not much weight on them when you do this.) THis really helps for close scraping.

I think this is a shortcoming of the winch system, but of course it is more expensive. If you really want a nice system, go with the new Deere Powertach Plow. It adds power angle control, which would save a lot of time. I think it is going for about $2500, so it is a lot more than the other systems.

/ Hydraulic or Winch? #9  
I should mention that on the XUV, the front hitch receiver must be removed to mount the hydraulic plow, otherwise there is interference with the cylinder. I don't need the winch in the winter, so this hasn't been problem. (My winch is hitch mounted.)

/ Hydraulic or Winch? #10  
Third Option? Ball and Screw Actuator for Electric or Hydraulic units. More power (rated at 750# lift), wears much better over long term. Built-in quick hitch to change out attachments.

Attachments

• Blade.jpg
    Blade.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 209
  • blade-from-side.jpg
    blade-from-side.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 214