Bush Hog UTV pulls 2 Kubota tractors around

/ Bush Hog UTV pulls 2 Kubota tractors around
joe496chevy said:
I call BS on this video. I agree with whoever said the brakes were on with the mule! I looked at the bush hog UTV and it is a pretty cheap built utv, and there is no way it would out pull a mule. Yes it could be a tire or traction difference. This bush hog is a tinker toy compared to alot of UTV's on the market. While many units will still be going in 10 plus years of use I would strongly bet this thing could be in the heap in 5 years by how light duty it is.

Which Bush Hog model did you look at? They have a small version designed to fit in the back of a pickup called a Trail Hunter I think. Then they have a full size version which is a Trail Hand and that is what they have hooked up. It specs out just like all the other UTV's and from the website it looks like they targeted the Mule as the standard for what they wanted to beat.

/ Bush Hog UTV pulls 2 Kubota tractors around #12  
I think it was the 4400. I don't remember what model it was. It looked like the one in the video but was red. The only postive I can give the Bush Hog was that it rode smooth. I drove it at an ag show last summer. There was an off road course set up with tight turns, steep embankments, mud, etc. The whole thing just felt cheap. It felt like I had to push the gas pedal down half way before the thing would move. And when it did move it was REALLY jerky. There was something wrong with the one I drove and it was a brand new machine. It kept making a grinding noise. Also, I don't like how it rolls down hills (not related to grinding noise; made the noise while turning). I think that could be a big safety issue. A friend just got a Mule 610 and it feels like a much better made machine. I would take a Mule 610 over the Bush Hog any day of the week. The Mule 610 also has storage up front like the Bush Hog. I also drove a Kubota RTV900 at the ag show. The RTV a whole other animal.

Isn't the Mule 610 a smaller UTV? How does the Mule ride compared to the Bush Hog?

What was happening that made the Bush Hog roll down a hill? Was it while you were at idle with your foot on the brake or was the machine left in gear with no parking brake? I am just asking questions so if you don't know the answer that is fine as I am curious. I don't know how long the Bush Hog machines have been out but I like my Bush Hog dealer (he is also the Treker dealer).

Here is a link to the Bush Hog UTV's Bush Hog&reg - Performance You Can Count On

The Trail Hunter (the smaller UTV) is the TH420 and TH440 while the Trail Hand is the TH4200 and TH4400. The Trail Hunter is considerably narrower then the Trail Hand and the Trail Hunter is a 2 person machine while the Trail Hand is a 3 person machine.

/ Bush Hog UTV pulls 2 Kubota tractors around #14  
Seems like a good commercial for tires.

I think that companies really waste their time (and mine) with ads like this. Who are they fooling?

/ Bush Hog UTV pulls 2 Kubota tractors around #15  
They don't have to fool anyone. If they make you stop and think for just a second "hey I haven't really looked at that UTV before" then perhaps you see one at a dealer lot as you drive by it and stop in to take a quick look at it or go to their website. They don't have to get you to buy into their videos just have to spark some interest. Then once you are in there you might find you actually like the vehicle.

/ Bush Hog UTV pulls 2 Kubota tractors around #16  
Robert_in_NY said:
Isn't the Mule 610 a smaller UTV? How does the Mule ride compared to the Bush Hog?

Yes, I think the 610 is a bit smaller than the Bush Hog, although I don't really know by how much. It didn't seem much smaller than the Bush Hog.

Robert_in_NY said:
What was happening that made the Bush Hog roll down a hill? Was it while you were at idle with your foot on the brake or was the machine left in gear with no parking brake?

The machine was in gear going down the hill. I think I had to use the brakes to help with descent, although I don't remember. All I know is, it pretty much rolled on its own down the hill. When I drove the RTV, (I was expecting this since it uses a real HST transmission) it stopped and could sit there all day on the hill. http://www.bushhog.com/ProductFamily.aspx?ID=15

Robert_in_NY said:
The Trail Hunter (the smaller UTV) is the TH420 and TH440 while the Trail Hand is the TH4200 and TH4400. The Trail Hunter is considerably narrower then the Trail Hand and the Trail Hunter is a 2 person machine while the Trail Hand is a 3 person machine.

I am pretty sure it was the 4400 because at the demo, they had two Bush Hogs there. One had the normal bed (the one I drove) while the other had a stake bed. In the stake bed they had a round bale to demonstrate to those driving how it handled loads and such. The salesman gave me a brochure and it is the 4400. Have you test drove a Bush Hog yet? You may like it better than I did. There was a Land Pride Trekker at the expo, too, but there was only one salesman when I was there and he was in a booth tending to people so I didn't get to try the Trekker. I really wanted to try it. I didn't get to try the Deere HPX, either. It had a diesel. There was a line forming and only one salesman on hand so I left to check out other exhibits.

/ Bush Hog UTV pulls 2 Kubota tractors around #17  
The machine was in gear going down the hill. I think I had to use the brakes to help with descent, although I don't remember. All I know is, it pretty much rolled on its own down the hill. When I drove the RTV, (I was expecting this since it uses a real HST transmission) it stopped and could sit there all day on the hill.

I'm going assume the bush hog has a belt drive system. Those systems free wheel going down a hill. Almost all UTVs have them with the exception of the RTV so they all do it. I've hear the XUV is a bit better about it but still does it.

I haven't drove any of the current UTV's yet. I was going to this fall for harvest but fell and broke my back so now I am decommisioned till Spring when I hope to try most of them all out (well the ones that have bench seats).

Right now I am asking lots of questions about just about all the UTV's as things come up so that I will have some ideas as to what to look at while I am trying them.

I am learning a lot from the people who have experience with UTV's off all types and hopefully I will have a good idea of what areas I should be concentrating on in regards to performance.

/ Bush Hog UTV pulls 2 Kubota tractors around #19  
darkday said:
I'm going assume the bush hog has a belt drive system. Those systems free wheel going down a hill. Almost all UTVs have them with the exception of the RTV so they all do it. I've hear the XUV is a bit better about it but still does it.

It was definitely a belt drive system. That's why it jerked so bad when taking off. The Mule my friend has doesn't do it nearly as bad. It is a belt drive, too, and still jerks a little bit but not bad at all.

Robert_in_NY said:
I haven't drove any of the current UTV's yet. I was going to this fall for harvest but fell and broke my back so now I am decommisioned till Spring when I hope to try most of them all out (well the ones that have bench seats).

Ouch! That makes me cringe just thinking about it. Hope you get well quick. I don't know how other Bush Hogs are, but if they are like the one I drove, I don't know how the jerkiness of driving would affect your back, if any.

Since the BH liked to roll down hills, if you have flat land, you may like the Bush Hog.

Yeah, this area is fairly flat so hills shouldn't be an issue.

I think Bush Hog is the one talking about how smooth their UTV takes off that it won't even spill your coffee and shows a picture of a guy holding his coffee cup. I will look it up and see.