Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Default Re: Log trailer for behind a UTV

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS
    That shouldn't be to hard of a project. Fix up a piece of square tubing, and throw some axle kits on, attach a bull-dog hitch, fix up you some vertical steaks. and like you said, use the winch to draw 'em up there . There you go !!!
    It shouldn't be too hard of a project except that I am not able to do this type of work right now. If there was one on the market already I would just look at buying it when I buy my UTV. If I can't find one I will have my friends help me to build it up.

It would be fun if I could build a grapple for it though, then I can start a mini logging business in my spare time

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3240HST

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000

Check out this product. The last prices I saw were I thought were decent and you can get whatever options you need. NovaJack

I built a trailer similar to this that has the walking beam suspension. It works quite well. It takes 14" Dodge rims allowing a variety of tire options.

Randy

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

I knew someone would have an idea. Thanks for the links.

While searching thru the google link I found this site ANDERSON MACHINERIES - Produits

You can use it to forward logs or a self loading dump trailer

The boom will rotate 360 degrees so in theory you could load the dump box on the UTV and the trailer. I can see this being usefull if you want to clean out a ditch without dumping the spoils on the ground. When both boxes are full, drive off to the dump site, dump and come back to work

If you go to the site, watch the video. This machine looks like it was well thought out but I haven't looked for a price yet and I am scared to

Tractor
    Kioti DK65sc, kubota rtv 1100

the idea is great, but I would be very careful on hilly ground. One of those things with a bunch of weigh on it would probably push you right down a hill. It would be great on the flat though. Whats the price tag on that thing $20K I bet.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by joe496chevy
    the idea is great, but I would be very careful on hilly ground. One of those things with a bunch of weigh on it would probably push you right down a hill. It would be great on the flat though. Whats the price tag on that thing $20K I bet.
    I have all flat ground and if I decided to go up into hilly ground and use this to log I would just hook it behind the 1920 as it is the same width as a UTV and would be able to handle this on hills a lot easier.

Basically, I do not plan on any commercial logging. My main use would be when I am clearing my field edges. We also have a piece of land here that is way to soft to get a skidder thru 11 months out of the year. I would like to use this to get the trees out of the back of that parcel since the loggers couldn't make it. We have quite a bit of land that we want to log selectively so this would come in handy and give me something else to do during the summer when my father is working on roofs since I can't work on roofs any more.

As for price, I have e-mailed the rep for this company (the guy who is listed as the rep for this state) and he told me to contact the company but didn't give me any more information, just contact the company .

So I e-mailed a couple different companies and have not heard back from either of them Maybe they have heard about all my troubles and just don't want to break my heart. Or maybe they are on an extended vacation . But I am leaning more towards the fact they just don't like me I figure they will reply when they get the time otherwise I will call them or look into building my own more, and if they are $20k I will just build my own or buy the non-grapple version that I should be able to buy from 4 different local dealers.

Tractor

I did hear back from Nova Jack and the trailer forestry kit is $3k plus another $500 for shipping to my house. This was the more basic setup where you use a hand winch to put logs onto the trailer and for my use I think this would be a good setup for my use. Well, the grapple would be great so I will have to wait till I find out how much they cost.

Here is another trailer idea. I had Nichols Trailers from Maine build a custom trailer for me a couple years ago. I wanted a good sized trailer - 3 feet by 8 feet that I could tow behind my UTV (Polaris Ranger) or my tractor.

My trailer servers many different purposes: first it allows me with the log lift to move about three fir logs at a time, second it has a dump body so I can move material loads out on my trails and dump them out, third it has ramps that allow me to load my DR brush mower or other equipment and move them to the far corners of my trail network.

Nichols are great people to work with and they know trailers. The key feature on this heavy duty trailer is that it has electric brakes on all four wheels. My Ranger has no engine braking to speak of. With these trailer brakes alone I can stop the Ranger/trailer/full load on a 10 percent pitch. None of the dedicated log carriers have brakes until you get up to much bigger sizes.

The battery for the brakes also provides power to the hydraulic dump body lift, and it powers the winch on top of my log lift. If you are intereted in a strong trailer for your UTV then I would recommend you talk to Nichols. They will remember my project. It is probably the biggest UTV trailer they have ever built.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2520 John Deere

Quote Originally Posted by air19
    Here is another trailer idea. I had Nichols Trailers from Maine build a custom trailer for me a couple years ago.
    Nice looking setup.
    Word of the day "balderdash"
    4520 John Deere w/400cx loader
    1987 Suzuki Samurai 6-1 transfercase jeep yj springs flipped locked front and rear. 33 super swampers
    1986 Suzuki Samurai SE.twin stick 4-1 transfercase flat belly, Niki carb

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by air19
    Here is another trailer idea. I had Nichols Trailers from Maine build a custom trailer for me a couple years ago. I wanted a good sized trailer - 3 feet by 8 feet that I could tow behind my UTV (Polaris Ranger) or my tractor.

My trailer servers many different purposes: first it allows me with the log lift to move about three fir logs at a time, second it has a dump body so I can move material loads out on my trails and dump them out, third it has ramps that allow me to load my DR brush mower or other equipment and move them to the far corners of my trail network.

Nichols are great people to work with and they know trailers. The key feature on this heavy duty trailer is that it has electric brakes on all four wheels. My Ranger has no engine braking to speak of. With these trailer brakes alone I can stop the Ranger/trailer/full load on a 10 percent pitch. None of the dedicated log carriers have brakes until you get up to much bigger sizes.

The battery for the brakes also provides power to the hydraulic dump body lift, and it powers the winch on top of my log lift. If you are intereted in a strong trailer for your UTV then I would recommend you talk to Nichols. They will remember my project. It is probably the biggest UTV trailer they have ever built.
    Thanks, I looked at their website after I made this thread and didn't think they had anything that fit my situation till I saw your setup then it gave me new ideas.

I really do not need a dump trailer but the flat deck trailer like yours would come in handy during harvest since I need one anyway. This log trailer thing is starting to become complicated with all these ideas. The one trailer I fell in love with is the Andersen I posted a link and pictures to. It would do everything I want and do it easily. Since no one has answered my e-mail I am going to have to call them for a price. What I liked about it is I could have a flat box for harvest that also is a dump box. It has an automatic winch on the boom for pulling logs to the trailer so the hydraulic grapple can pick them up. The arm also turns into an excavator making it useful for ditch cleaning. I just have not heard a price yet and am afraid to

I do have plenty of time to worry about it. I have at least 3 more months of doing nothing before I can go back to work.

Thanks for the pics of your trailer. It is a nice setup and has gave me some more ideas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast