UTV for snowplowing

/ UTV for snowplowing #1  

rfmr

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST
I had a 6' plow with winch installed a few weeks ago and have used it 2x on snow in the 6" to 8" range. Although my plan was to use the UTV for those snowfalls when using the tractor w/60" rear blower is overkill, yesterday's snow was like clay causing the blower to keep plugging up so I was tempted to use the UTV, but didn't.

So I'm curious if others use their UTV for pushing the heavy wet, clay like snow? Is there a max # of inches you'll use it on? Any tips?

BTW my plowing consists of 3 driveways each being about 200' (1 is gravel, other 2 are combo gravel & paved)

/ UTV for snowplowing #2  
i hate that wet heavy snow:mad: angle the blade one way then take a little at a time.

/ UTV for snowplowing #3  
I use my wifes plow, on her four wheeler. I know what you mean with the blower being overkill. I have one too, but That's why I use her atv instead, for the smaller storms. It is a honda rancher 350 4x4, and does fine. I'm sure if that pushes it the way that it does, than your utv should have absolutely NO problem doing it, where it is heavier. I have had no trouble with 6"-8" of snow, no matter how heavy and wet it is. Oh, I have a long drive, and also plow out my mother's down the road, just takes a little while due to the size/width of the plow (4' or 5' I think ) Good luck.
Daryle.

/ UTV for snowplowing #4  
For serious snow moving

Attachments

• Tractor 002.jpg
    Tractor 002.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 373
   / UTV for snowplowing #5  
I used to use a honda ATV 300 cc 4x4 with a 48" plow. It would clean any snow that got in front of it. I would imagine that the UTV would get the job done quicker than the tractor backing that blower around.

Sold the honda 6 years ago and have been using a combination of 20" plastic shovel, 22" plastic shovel with metal wear strip and 8hp walk behind blower when the snow is over 6-8". But I only have to clean 100' only 1/2 of it is double wide. Good thing we don't get much snow in Wisconsin.....

jb

/ UTV for snowplowing #6  
john_bud said:
...have been using a combination of 20" plastic shovel, 22" plastic shovel with metal wear strip... Good thing we don't get much snow in Wisconsin.....

jb

Funny! .... I've never seen anyone get so technical about their plastic shovels. What model years are your shovels? :p

/ UTV for snowplowing #7  
workhorse said:
Funny! .... I've never seen anyone get so technical about their plastic shovels. What model years are your shovels? :p
Haha, I was sitting there thinking to myself. "Ok, did I miss something or is he talking about a dinky snow shovel." :p

/ UTV for snowplowing
john_bud said:
have been using a combination of 20" plastic shovel, 22" plastic shovel with metal wear strip.. jb

Need more info before I switch to this method. Red, blue or green? Bent handle or straight?

john_bud said:
UTV would get the job done quicker than the tractor backing that blower around. jb

Not only quicker but more comfortable. One big advantage of blower is that I don't have to worry about snow banks squeezing me in. Either way it's seat time.

Thanks for the replys.