Green vs. Orange

/ Green vs. Orange #1  

Mike_Kanzer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 HST, JD Gator 855D
I am looking to purchase a diesel utility vehicle for use on my horse farm. It is 36 acres and I need it primarily for doing things like moving manure, hay bales, dirt, firewood, etc. I have been reading all of the past posts and am thinging about a RTV900 vs JD XUV Diesel. I was leaning twoard the Kubota as I already have an L3830 and like the bigger capacity of the Kubota RTV bed. Does anyone have any input about which might be better? I have read some posts about the RTV being underpowered for hills and difficult to shift. Is that the common finding with users? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

/ Green vs. Orange #2  
I just got a RTV 1100, no shortage of power. Shifting can be a little tight at times but just tap the gas pedal and it shifts right in.

/ Green vs. Orange #3  
Have a 900, no cab ~~
My use for the Kubota is Deer Management, Farm Work, Hunting ~~~ It's everything & more expected out of a utlity vehicle for anywork applications !!!

:)

Has all the power a person needs, was the best investment ever made.
Only thing I would advise, is to get a High Rise Air Filter Kit. It will be doing you and your RTV a favor !!!!

/ Green vs. Orange #4  
Mike_Kanzer said:
Does anyone have any input about which might be better? I have read some posts about the RTV being underpowered for hills and difficult to shift.
I have heard the same things about rtv shifting problems and the lack of power on hills.
Some of the XUV's seem to have problems with the front end rattling.
Both seem to have quirks. Dealer support is always #1 to me when making a decision like this.
Good luck~! :)

/ Green vs. Orange #5  
I just had an rtv900 delivered a week ago. I live on some very steep terrain, river hill in central pa. I have hauled fire wood off the hill and really have not lacked for power. I am not sure what I would do with any more. Shifting has not been a real issue. There have been a couple of occassions as stated in an earlier post where it seem to not want to go into R. I just tapped the throttle and it went right in. There is also the release valve on the new units. I have not used it.

I have ran around hauling loads of wood in Medium speed and have not had a bit of problem and no complaints here.

I cannot speak for the jd. The Kubota will haul everything you can put on it and not even grunt as far as I have seen.

I like you am using it on a horse farm. This morning I had 12 four ft long bails of hay on it. I know that didn't weigh near what the loads of oak I have hauled weighed but no problem. It also will haul on serious load of wet poop and sawdust and dump in about 2 seconds.

My opinion is this is one great machine. As stated make sure you have good dealer support where ever you buy. Good luck with your decision.

/ Green vs. Orange #6  
I have a 900 here in Idaho and have used mine on very steep terrain. If you learn to use the hand throttle, there is no want for power up hills. I have hauled firewood, elk (dead ones), gravel and dirt. This is one bad boy. I put a Ramsey 5000 winch on the front but only used it once to get a log out from below the road. I have the ATV tires and recommend them highly over the standard work site tires. I hardly need 4 wheel drive or rear lock in the snow. It's an amazing outfit.

/ Green vs. Orange #7  
Is a dump bed option important?

The JD dump bed is under $600 installed and will easily lift anything you put in the back. I hauled over 20 cubic yards of loose fill one weekend with mine. we loaded at the bottom of the hill, drove about 150' up a 20 degree hill and then dumped about 1/2 cubic yard per load.

/ Green vs. Orange #8  
I have owned 3 gators and without a doubt will own more.
They are built to last as are all John Deere products.

The Kubota's have a very good rep as well.

This is a win win decision. What color do you like best? :)
Demo both units and trade with a dealer you trust.

/ Green vs. Orange #9  
i don't know the real weight to it but it's alot this is some wet clay dirt .as you can see it's loaded to the top.lol this belongs to a friend of mine he also has an 1100 too.

rtvwithaloadqh1.jpg

/ Green vs. Orange
Thanks for the replies - Both the local JD dealer and the Kubota dealer have good reputations for service so I will probably demo both machines and make a decision after a test drive. I agree that good dealer support can really make or break a product. My Kubota L3830 has been great but I know a bunch of folks with JD tractors that love them just as much. Tommy that is an amazing amount of dirt in the dump bed!