Successful Farming Ultimate All-Terrain test

/ Successful Farming Ultimate All-Terrain test #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
SF invited all the manufacturers to send their UTV's over 600cc and ATV's in the 400-600CC range for them to test. They did a lot of testing and had 12 evaluators and 3 engineers to do the review. Everyone tested these machines and rated each one when they finished their test run.

Here is the overall results (total of 60 points possible). 1st was the Polaris Ranger XP with 54 points, 2nd was the Kawasaki Mule 3020 with 50 points, 3rd is the John Deere XUV 620i with 49.6 points, 4th is the John Deere XUV 850D with 49.6 points, 5th is the Bobcat 2200 Diesel with 46.1 points.

And for some reason Kubota did not send in the RTV for this review. This review was designed for a good farm review and was ran thru test designed to simulate the type of situations found on farms. The RTV is well suited for farm use and Kubota has advertised in SF over the years so why they didn't send a RTV is a mystery to me. Does anyone have the slightest idea why Kubota refuses to send their RTV to these mags for head to head reviews? This is the second magazine I remember where Kubota wouldn't send a RTV for the trial.

I have had a soft spot for the Landpride Treker because of my dealer being so great and that scored a 40.3. This review gives me some points to look at when I demo them in the spring.

Buyer's Guide

/ Successful Farming Ultimate All-Terrain test #2  
I wouldn't mind having a Ranger. :)

/ Successful Farming Ultimate All-Terrain test
Skipholiday said:
I wouldn't mind having a Ranger. :)

Same here, or the Treker, RTV, Mule, Bobcat or any of the UTV's with a bench seat:)

/ Successful Farming Ultimate All-Terrain test #4  
The only one I have any personal experience with is the Kawasaki Mule that my brother bought about 10 years ago. I think it was a 3010 (biggest one they had at that time), and anything that's better than that thing was would sure be a fine machine. He had an electric screw type dump on the bed instead of hydraulic, but he would leave the tailgate down, and bolted down a sheet of plywood that extended just beyond the end of the bed, and I'd load dirt on it with my front end loader; all I could pile on and running off the sides and back and it never had a problem hauling it and dumping it on the fly.

/ Successful Farming Ultimate All-Terrain test #5  
Read the article in the magazine, went online and read the specs on the models that didn't appear in the mag. not a lot of meat either place.

milkman said:
Read the article in the magazine, went online and read the specs on the models that didn't appear in the mag. not a lot of meat either place.

There isn't a lot of meat but they had 12 different testers and averaged their thoughts on these machines in 12 different areas. The numbers they put up gives people an idea how each machine stacks up against the other in the various categorys that matter to them.

Does anyone know of any great UTV geared mags (either online or paper)?

/ Successful Farming Ultimate All-Terrain test #7  
Robert_in_NY said:
There isn't a lot of meat but they had 12 different testers and averaged their thoughts on these machines in 12 different areas. The numbers they put up gives people an idea how each machine stacks up against the other in the various categorys that matter to them.

Does anyone know of any great UTV geared mags (either online or paper)?

Here you go:

Side X Side Action

/ Successful Farming Ultimate All-Terrain test #9  
Robert_in_NY said:
Same here, or the Treker, RTV, Mule, Bobcat or any of the UTV's with a bench seat:)
All wheel drive is a must for me. No turtles. :)
Some are top heavy and if they flop your afoot.
Ranger Xt looks like the best utv for the money. I wish my dealer sold them.

Skipholiday said:
All wheel drive is a must for me. No turtles. :)
Some are top heavy and if they flop your afoot.

My current situation I would be happy with any of them (since I still do not have one yet).

I am not too worried about them being top heavy since I am in the old lake bed around Lake Erie where everything is flat. So unless I drive it sideways into a steep ditch (where I shouldn't be) I should be ok.

I do love the looks of the Browning edition Polaris Ranger.

08_ranger_browning_240.jpg