Recommends on used Quad

/ Recommends on used Quad #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
The wife and I are starting to look around for a used quad. From what I can gather, to deal with our slopes, A 400 to 500cc engine with 4WD is desireable.

It will be used on the farm.

In our area there are a number of 500 to 700cc Polaris quads. There are only a few Hondas and Yamahas. At first this seemed to be pretty fair as I have been told the Polaris are the cadillac of the quads. Then I begin to see that maybe the reason so may are for sale si that they are less reliable than the Hondas..

So, all advice taken. Is 400 hours too many?

The grand scheme is that the wife wants a UTV. But she is really afraid of driving slopes, so I am not going to spend the coin on that big of a machine until I am sure she is confident on ATV.

/ Recommends on used Quad #2  
the utv or side by side market has killed the resale of the quads in my area.i would go ahead and buy the utv. if you don't like it you should be able to sell it quickly. my wife is more comfortable on the hills in our ranger than on our quads

/ Recommends on used Quad #3  
I would have to agree with bigdeer,
We have some property over in Mississippi, and they have some big hills & hoolers, and would rather tackle them with the Kubota RTV than the Honda Rubicons anyday. Just feel more safe.
And I can say, you will feel much better after putting in a day in a utv, than you will a four-wheeler. But that also has something to do with age !!! :cool:

/ Recommends on used Quad #4  
i can't ride a atv but i can ride a utv . if it wasn't for the utv's i would be a couch potatoe and probably have heart problems and end up in worst shape than i am now. i know alot of people say disabled people shoudln't have utv's and they shouldn't have anything but hey i spend my money on what i want and if it improves my life style and health then so be it but look at it this way a atv can only ride one rider at a time but with a utv you can ride two and if you need to you can put a minni van seat in the rear and seat five or you can get a ranger crew and and put a minni van seat in the rear and seat 9 !WOW! 9 people in a utv fit that many safely on a atv. go with a utv i would say get a rhino but hey mine is in the shop after 3 weeks .lol about the best thing i can say is my hpx is 4 years old and it's never given me any problems other than things that should have broken with time. when i turn the key it starts .

/ Recommends on used Quad #7  
Tommy,
Funny you stated that !!!
I can remember when Honda came out with the first three wheeler. I was one of the first around to get one. Dern, they where ugly, people laughed. But as time when on, purchased several ATC 90's, and then in 1979, they came out with the ATC 110, had to get one of them, we thought that thing was the " hog " , then came the Big Red, they kept getting bigger, and we kept a gettin' more.
Now, I own the Rubicons, they are big enough, not the biggest, but heck, I just wonder how big they are going to get them. What is the biggest ATV now ?
Now, Honda fixin' to release the new " Big Red " Utility Vehicle.

/ Recommends on used Quad #8  
I think that Artic Cat came out with the Thunder Cat 1000. Yeah thats what we all need an ATV with 1000cc.

/ Recommends on used Quad #9  
i think the bigest atv is the 750/800's i sat on them at the dealer and man they are beast if i had to have something that big i just as soon get a sideby side. i meani with you on this back when i was a kid i had a 110 honda atc and then we got a 300 fourtrax4x4 man that thing was unstopable now if it was unstopable back then and it made it through all the mud and gook back then why do you need a 800cc atv ??i'll tell you why because someone is makin them big tires and bigger tires menas you need more power to turn them.we used to float the three wheelers out into the ponds 10 foot of water with stock tires and we never got stuck.lol them things would float just like a boatinfact sometimes you never knew how deep the water was until you jumped off . the best way to check was to see if your tires was churning up mud and if they wasn't you know you was in the deep end of the pond or bayou. thats why i always say it's not the 4 wheel drive or the big tires it's the driver if you know how to drive the thing them two wheels will get you through anything. i tried that rhino with the 4x4 engaged man it was hard as heck to steer so i went back to the limited slip setting and it does just fine "needs better tires "but it does fine