Owners manual vs dealer on Mule 610 Service?

/ Owners manual vs dealer on Mule 610 Service? #1  

gryhnd

Tractor
2007 New Holland TC30
We just purchased a 2008 4x4 Mule 610. The dealer told us it needs first service at 10 hours, thereafter at 300 hour intervals. The owner's manual states first service at 50 hours, thereafter at 250 hr intervals. Would appreciate any opinions/advice on this. Thanks very much!

/ Owners manual vs dealer on Mule 610 Service? #2  
I ask a friend of mine who owns a 2007 mule. He said he kinda ran into the same thing you did, two saying different things. So he said he changed his at 10 hours, and then again at 50 hrs., and then again every 100 hrs. of use. Being on the safe side, you can never change one really to early. Being that you have a big investment. It don't hurt to spend a little extra $$$ on preventative maintance. He uses his on the farms.
I don't own a mule, but a diesel RTV >>>> My dealer and Kubota Mechanics Shop Book said change at the first 50 hours. Then again at 100 hours. And from then on, change ever 100 hours ..... Total cost of oil and filter isn't but $20.32 >>>>>> For that amount, a person can afford to do it more often !!!!

/ Owners manual vs dealer on Mule 610 Service?
Thanks. Yes, you are right, it couldn't hurt and it certainly was an investment - felt like we were almost buying a car! Just didn't know we would need one, had thought the lawn tractor and the farm tractor would be enough!:)

/ Owners manual vs dealer on Mule 610 Service? #4  
how many hours does it have on it right now??? even though it's new it might still have 10 hours or more maybe less. if so run it for another five hours and change the oil.the main reason to change the oil so soon is that during the breakin period the engine does make tinny little metal shavings not harmful but it's all the parts seating them selves plus any other trash that might be in there from the assembly plant . so the first oil change at 10/15 hours is a really good thing to do.

/ Owners manual vs dealer on Mule 610 Service? #5  
gryhnd said:
We just purchased a 2008 4x4 Mule 610. The dealer told us it needs first service at 10 hours, thereafter at 300 hour intervals. The owner's manual states first service at 50 hours, thereafter at 250 hr intervals. Would appreciate any opinions/advice on this. Thanks very much!

If you look in your service schedule, you will see lots of things marked with a "D" for Dealer service. I did my own service except for those items and then took the Mule in for the "D" items. When I went to pick up the Mule, I had the impression that they had really done nothing, but they charged me $165 anyway. No telling what they would have charged if I had let them do all the fluids and filters.

I bought a service manual and do it all myself now. That's what I would suggest to anyone who feels comfortable doing the service themself. I think some dealers may suggest more service than is required. I'd say do at least what is in the book and any additional you feel is needed.

/ Owners manual vs dealer on Mule 610 Service? #6  
Did some checking on the specs and it is the same engine that is in the JD TX gator. The manual says to change the oil at the first 8 hours and then every 50 hours after that. Typicly with all Kawaski engines that Deere uses. There first oil change is done at 8 hours. The engine has breakin oil which is a lesser grade of oil to try to seat the rings. This stops blow by ect. Normally a 50 hour first service is on a diesel engine with a 300 hour afterward service interval. I think your dealer is right.