Polaris Ranger XP700 9 Volt Battery Clip??

/ Polaris Ranger XP700 9 Volt Battery Clip?? #1  

Sharp Ranches

Tractor
2010 JD 5083E Ltd w/ 563 SL FEL (previously a 2005 JD 4320 w/ 400X FEL)
I just picked up a 2008 Ranger XP700. While looking under the front hood compartment I noticed a 9 volt battery terminal clip (it had no battery connected) coming from the instrumentation wiring harness. I asked my dealer what this was for. He didn't know about it and asked me to show it to him on one of the showroom floor display Rangers. He then asked his shop mechanic what the 9V battery terminal clip was used for. The mechanic said "It is for a one time emergency start if the main battery was discharged." I don't believe this could possibly be true!!! I would think the provided 9V battery terminal clip is more likely to be used to connect a backup battery to maintain instrumentation memory (like clock, odometer data, etc.) in case the main 12V battery is disconnected. Does anyone know for sure what this 9V battery terminal clip is used for?????

/ Polaris Ranger XP700 9 Volt Battery Clip?? #2  
it is possible to get a one time start out of the 9volt battery. look at a stun gun it runs off of little batteres and it gives you a few seconds of a heck of alot of converted a/c volts. think of it like a camera flash it sometimes has to build up a little charge then you get a green light saying ok . another thing is them shock paddles they run off of a small dc current but when they convert it and build up the energy you get a big wallop of curnet for short periods. so i think it's very possible . and if you want to try it get a 9 volt battery and disconnect the main battery on the ranger and see what happens. it could be possible .

/ Polaris Ranger XP700 9 Volt Battery Clip?? #3  
Here's my guess, I would think that the 9 volts is to energize the ECU (computer) IF you had a totally dead battery, then you could wrap a rope around the engine's primary clutch mechanism a few times and you could then "pull" start the engine(just like a recoil pull cord on a small lawn mower). This rope method is how you get a snowmobile started when your hand-pull rope cord breaks on you up in the mountains. It is a one pull only, then rewrap around the clutch (in the correct rotation) again and pull a second or third time. Our CAT engine computers require a minimun of 6-7 volts DC to be able to compute and energize their injectors, so this is where I get my assumptions.

/ Polaris Ranger XP700 9 Volt Battery Clip??
I contacted Polaris customer service with my question. They thanked me for my contact and then referred me back to my dealer. I read the owner's manual and there is no info concerning this battery clip or emergency start procedures (like the clutch wrap pull method used on Polaris' snowmobiles.)

/ Polaris Ranger XP700 9 Volt Battery Clip?? #5  
I've gotta check my 08 Ranger Crew and see if it has this. Won't be at the ranch until this next w/e but will try to report back.

/ Polaris Ranger XP700 9 Volt Battery Clip?? #7  
Tommy,
Are you talking about one of them 9V transistor radio batteries ?

What is the heck are they wanting that thing to do ?

/ Polaris Ranger XP700 9 Volt Battery Clip?? #9  
If it works, I need to buy one to jump off that 6030 JD that wouldn't crank this morning !!! :rolleyes:

/ Polaris Ranger XP700 9 Volt Battery Clip?? #10  
How can any of you guys actually think that a little 9-volt transistor sized battery is going to crank over an engine? (Maybe if you had 100 of them connected in parallel) If a little 9-volt battery had enough power to crank an engine over, then there would be thousands of little kids running around with their tongues burned off!!

It's obviously got something to do with the instrument panel area, not the engine starting system.