Is sticky gear shift in RTV 900 fixed?

/ Is sticky gear shift in RTV 900 fixed? #1  

Wayne_H

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4400, '48 B and 318
Hey: I'm normally on the JD side of the board... but thinking about selling our Mule 3010 for the RTV 900. But... It looks like a lot of reviews I read complain of 1) leaky gas cap (how hard is that to fix...) and 2) hard to shift transmission ranges.

Have these problems been adressed in the machines they are selling now?

I also see some complaints about a drive shaft rattle, are these isolated issues?

thanks

Wayne

/ Is sticky gear shift in RTV 900 fixed? #2  
I traded my 3010 Mule for a RTV900 3 years ago and have never regretted the deal. I find it is hard to move out of gear if you stop while pulling. You can wait for it to release or just turn the key off and it will move out very easy. They claim they have a button now that realeases the pressure. Can't say anything to that because I've never tried one. No problem with drive shafts.
But I can say it is built a lot heavier then the Mule, but the mule was much more quiet.

/ Is sticky gear shift in RTV 900 fixed? #3  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a RTV, wouldn't go back to anything else. It is a work horse. We had a leaking fuel tank new from the dealer, and the dealer replace mine and NO MORE LEAKS !!!! Think they have no problems out of them .....The part about the shifting, to me, it's not hard, but I believe most of them has to be so called broke in, mine shifts much smoother now than it did when it was new. Yes, they do have now a pressure relief valve to release some pressure if you are loaded and have the machine in a bind. I only had to use mine once, but it was my fault, I was hooked up to a trailer with eight 55 gal drum full of corn, going threw a ditch, and decision was made to go the other way, being in the ditch, I had the RTV in a bind, so I just pulled and released the button, and it shifted in reverse and away I went... I think the drive shaft rattles are on some of the older units, but we have never, and I know of many RTV's in my area that has not had ANY trouble what so ever. Think that might have been isolated issues.>>>>>>
If you are wanting to go fast, the RTV is not for you, BUT, if you want a working machine that is dependable, strong, and is in my case, trouble free,take that step and get you a RTV. Speed on them machines is about 25 mph tops. I never go that fast anyway ..... :cool:

/ Is sticky gear shift in RTV 900 fixed? #4  
On a whim I bought this item for my RTV Kubota RTV 900 1100 coast valve - eBay (item 180253791494 end time Jun-23-08 13:57:27 PDT)

It is absolutely unbelievable the change in the machine!! Not only does it completely eliminate the hard shifting issue, but it makes the coast when you let off the throttle very natural. The RTV makes a controlled and gradual coast to a stop much like on a Mule, Gator or Rhino. I'm pretty darn picky and I have to admit that this 5 minute installation has changed my RTV by 100%! I cannot believe that Kubota doesn't use this part from the factory. If you don't already have this part installed, I highly recommend it. It really does make an unbelievable difference! It doesn't coast too much with no gradual slow down, but it completely gets rid of the sudden jolt of a stop that comes from the factory. The cure of the shifting issue was just icing on the cake for me.

/ Is sticky gear shift in RTV 900 fixed? #5  
Dargo said:
On a whim I bought this item for my RTV Kubota RTV 900 1100 coast valve - eBay (item 180253791494 end time Jun-23-08 13:57:27 PDT)

It is absolutely unbelievable the change in the machine!! Not only does it completely eliminate the hard shifting issue, but it makes the coast when you let off the throttle very natural. The RTV makes a controlled and gradual coast to a stop much like on a Mule, Gator or Rhino. I'm pretty darn picky and I have to admit that this 5 minute installation has changed my RTV by 100%! I cannot believe that Kubota doesn't use this part from the factory. If you don't already have this part installed, I highly recommend it. It really does make an unbelievable difference! It doesn't coast too much with no gradual slow down, but it completely gets rid of the sudden jolt of a stop that comes from the factory. The cure of the shifting issue was just icing on the cake for me.
Dargo,I pm,ed you.Could you please give me the ordering information and phone number to order this coast valve.Thanks,coobie

/ Is sticky gear shift in RTV 900 fixed? #6  
Wayne_H said:
Hey: I'm normally on the JD side of the board... but thinking about selling our Mule 3010 for the RTV 900. But... It looks like a lot of reviews I read complain of 1) leaky gas cap (how hard is that to fix...) and 2) hard to shift transmission ranges.

Have these problems been adressed in the machines they are selling now?

I also see some complaints about a drive shaft rattle, are these isolated issues?

thanks

Wayne
I have owned a 2002 mule 3010 with 4X4 and now a 2006 RTV 900.IMHO the Kubota is more heavy duty made verses the mule.As far as the driveshaft rattle I had it with mine and it drove me nuts.I found a fix on the net and took my rtv into my dealer to have it fixed,the cost was $78.06 for parts and labor which kubota picked up the costs.I also want to say my RTV was out of warrenty time period,thanks Kubota for picking up the tab.If I had a choice,Kubota hands down.coobie