850D Starting difficulty

/ 850D Starting difficulty #1  

wayupnth

Anyone having issues with starting their 850D? We have had ours since 5/07 and have 450 hours on it. For about the past 6 months it sometimes has difficulty starting. Usually it is after it's been run a while and then sitting. It will turn over but not start. Sometimes it will take 5 or 6 attempts. Worse in the cold weather but doing it at this time of year as well. Fuel filter and fuel solenoid already changed by the dealer with no luck.

Thoughts?

Gary

Maine

/ 850D Starting difficulty #2  
In warm weather if a diesel is cranking and not starting it's got to be a problem with the fuel system. You've already changed out the shut-off solenoid and fuel filter so it's either the injection pump or a blockage in the tank. Is the engine putting out white smoke while it's cranking? If it is white smoke the engine is getting fuel and you probably have injector or injector pump problems. You might want to check the air filter, also.

/ 850D Starting difficulty #3  
wayupnth said:
Anyone having issues with starting their 850D? We have had ours since 5/07 and have 450 hours on it. For about the past 6 months it sometimes has difficulty starting. Usually it is after it's been run a while and then sitting. It will turn over but not start. Sometimes it will take 5 or 6 attempts. Worse in the cold weather but doing it at this time of year as well. Fuel filter and fuel solenoid already changed by the dealer with no luck.

Thoughts?

Gary

Maine

I have an HPX. Theoretically it should start after the glowplug indicator goes off without doing anything special. Mine is stubborn unless I give the accelerator pedal a few pokes and a little depression. This should not be necessary, but I have to do it to get it started and going. Maybe the fuel pump needs a little more time to pressurize the system. It could just be quirky.

/ 850D Starting difficulty #4  
Before totally blaming the fuel delivery system, I would suggest you check that the glowplug is working properly. The symptoms you describe are characteristic of pre heating issues. Swap it out at a dealer temporarily.

/ 850D Starting difficulty #5  
My company has 7 Diesel Gators (HPX and XUV). On about half of them, we had to crank them for a while before they would start. Our problems were worse the longer the machine sat. Overnight was ok, over the weekend was bad and after a week or two, worse. We started putting check valves on the fuel line between the fuel pump and the filter, and that solved everything for us. You may want to give that a try.

/ 850D Starting difficulty #6  
I agree with the check value in the fuel line. I had a Diesel HPX Gator that started hard after sitting a few days and the dealer installed a check value in the fuel line and no more problems.

/ 850D Starting difficulty #7  
dupio is right, the check valve should solve your problem. My 850d did the EXACT same thing with about 100 hours on it and it is now all better.

John M

/ 850D Starting difficulty #8  
Anyone have an help on where they put the check valve or where they bought the check valve?