truck question

/ truck question
the rear axle or should i say the hub part in the middle is way bigger than my buddie's one on his 1/2 ton chevy. the diferential part is what i'm talkin about

Dargo said:
I've never owned a 3/4 ton; only 1/2 ton vehicles and 1 ton vehicles. However, I know it is an undisputed fact that some of today's 1/2 ton vehicles out-spec 3/4 ton vehicles of the late 70's and 80's.

I thought the frames were the same between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups until I changed the oil in a 3/4 ton pickup for a friend. Same brand of pickup, far different frame. Maybe it's like comparing the underside of the tandem axle dump truck I had to a one ton pickup; no comparison. I just knew by looking at the rear axle and suspension that the pickup Tommy pictured was a half ton.

/ truck question #22  
TOMMYHPX4X4 said:
the rear axle or should i say the hub part in the middle is way bigger than my buddie's one on his 1/2 ton chevy. the diferential part is what i'm talkin about

Yeah, that's what I meant. I didn't want to use my redneck name for it; pumpkin, or "punkin". :D Different manufacturers use different axles and differentials. I don't know on the half ton Dodges, but my one ton had a Dana in the front and rear (it was a 4X4). The newer Ford I replaced it with has the exact same (but obviously newer) brand and size axles and differentials in it.

I don't really get into working on them like I used to. It used to drive me nuts using marking grease and making sure I had the lash and backlash all shimmed in correctly so they wouldn't howl going down the road. Then after spending hours getting all the gears set up correctly I turned one punkin over and noticed that someone had 'pinged' the heck out of the front of the pinion to get it to seal correctly. :mad: That sucked! Anybody who has been an old gearhead and worked on muscle cars or trucks knows what I'm talking about. Anymore I just want to buy one with a good quality and big setup under it and drive it. Ya know, in some things size does count. ;) :D

/ truck question
yea i know what ya mean about size if i was to go lookin for a 1/2 ton truck right now this dodge would have them all beat as for as big goes.lol

/ truck question #24  
TOMMYHPX4X4 said:
after everything i checked out on it it sure is a half ton in a 3/4 ton body. lol. it's the beafiest 1/2 ton i ever seen my buddy who is a die hard chevy man even is impressed after lookin at it. he's even thinkin of switchin over to the dodges after the inspection. just a figure of speach that the truck is a 1/2 ton in a 3/4 ton body . although it is built tough.. i'm gonn hate to bring this thing back to enterprise when my little green bug is finished.

Does that dodge have rack n pinion steering? I always think of rack and pinion being weak in comparison to recirculating ball.

I don't think I can ever go back to a 1/2 ton. The brakes alone are enough for me - the 3/4 and 1 tons are just tougher.

There are some real bargains on used trucks these days. I wish I was in the market for one,
D.

/ truck question
i ain't no mechanic when it comes to cars or trucks . i really couldn't tell you what kinda steering it has..it has the sfs in the front thats about all i know.

/ truck question #26  
I have a 2008 F-250 with the V-10 and couldn't be happier for a rig that will tow with the diesels, Dodge and Chevy included. Fact is that weight wise, the Ford 3/4 and 1 tons are almost 900 pounds heavier than any of the similar competitions, side by side. All has to do with heavier axles, thicker frames and other HD components. I'll grant you that every brand has their fans and that's fine, but for all day, every day hard use, the Ford takes first place. Always has and probably always will. Next time you're out driving look at all of the white fleet trucks on the road and most of them will be Fords, including most ambulances. It is what it is.

Pappy

Attachments

• DSCF0070.JPG
    DSCF0070.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0074.JPG
    DSCF0074.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF0069.JPG
    DSCF0069.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 71
   / truck question #27  
Hey pappy, that's some strong looking front bumper you have there. By chance is it made by Ranch Hand?

/ truck question #28  
TOMMYHPX4X4 said:
yea i know what ya mean about size if i was to go lookin for a 1/2 ton truck right now this dodge would have them all beat as for as big goes.lol

My crystal ball is telling me that in 5 years, personal use trucks will be much smaller than they are now. Think uni-body, front wheel drive or AWD and 3,4 or 6 cylinder options. 2500 - 5000# towing and 500-1000# bed capacity. But 25 city and 30 highway. The Ranger and S-10's will be "large".

Think my crystal ball is cracked? Check out sales of trucks and count the number of truck plants that are shut down or only working limited shifts. You want a real truck, don't wait too long or you may find they only come in shades of pink!

/ truck question #29  
pappy19 said:
I have a 2008 F-250 with the V-10 and couldn't be happier for a rig that will tow with the diesels, Dodge and Chevy included. Fact is that weight wise, the Ford 3/4 and 1 tons are almost 900 pounds heavier than any of the similar competitions, side by side. All has to do with heavier axles, thicker frames and other HD components. I'll grant you that every brand has their fans and that's fine, but for all day, every day hard use, the Ford takes first place. Always has and probably always will. Next time you're out driving look at all of the white fleet trucks on the road and most of them will be Fords, including most ambulances. It is what it is.

Pappy

Nice truck - you made the right call with the V-10. The new Powerstroke fuel economy is absolutely horrible.

D.

/ truck question #30  
Next time you're out driving look at all of the white fleet trucks on the road and most of them will be Fords, including most ambulances. It is what it is.

If I took a pic of my fleet of trucks you would see:

'78 F250 4x4 351 with electric hydraulic dump and snowplow,this truck hauled dirt for 28 years and plowed tons of snow as well as hauled our backhoe on the trailer, it has been retired and is looking for a new home.

86 F250 4x4 302 with a uni hoist dump conversion. This truck is mainly utility for getting lumber or odds and ends that do not require a 1 ton.

81 F350 4x2 400 flatbed with liftgate and crane. Mainly used for setting headstones and pouring foundations. It's on it's second motor and that motor is due to be rebuilt this winter.

84 F350 4x2 351 dumptruck. This dumptruck has a 163" wheelbase with a huge electric/hydraulic dump bed. The motor is tired and this truck is also being retired in favor of the next truck I just got.

86 F350 4x4 460 dumptruck with pto dump, 9' commercial snowplow, and a crane. This truck will become the workhorse capable of hauling dirt/gravel/whatever, setting headstones, pouring foundations, and towing anything I need to tow.

S as far as trucks go my only experiences have been with fords 3/4 ton or larger. I think the biggest issue is availability. All I see for sale, at least used, are ford F series trucks. There must be a reason for this. They last longer possibly?

EDIT: incidentally, I think fords decision to use IFS on their 4x2 1 ton trucks is just dumb (at least they did in the 2 that I have). With a load the front springs easily sag causing serious camber issues with the tires (looking at the front of the truck with a load the tires sit like this / \ . It should have a solid front dummy axle to avoid this problem. The only other choice is to get spring assist airbags.