2 things I need answered please

/ 2 things I need answered please #1  

Smoody

Platinum Member
Tractor
YM226D
1. I have a 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2WD, it doesnt idle right once it gets "hot", I have put fresh gas in it and GUMOUT CArb cleaner in it, ran that through it but it still does it, why? valves? what are the valve settings for this model and how can I adjust them?

2. Anyone heard of a Jacobsen Utility Hauler 1110? looking at one, guy asking $2700, any comments opinions?

/ 2 things I need answered please #2  
1) Put a new spark plug in it. While you are at it, go to a higher heat range.

The old plug won't clean up, so go new.

/ 2 things I need answered please
I should also mention that there is a small oil leak coming from the pull crank shaft, been that way for years, that have anything to do with idle? I have had to replace spark plugs regular over the past few years they foul out really easy.

/ 2 things I need answered please #5  
It sounds like you are running a little rich, which is fine when the engine is cold (that is what a choke does) but when the engine warms up it runs crappy and fouls plugs. Forget about that useless carb gum-out crap and take the carb apart and clean the jets and diaphragm with carb & brake cleaner. Then check for any cracked or broken hoses around the carb that could be causing a vacuum leak.

Don't change the heat range of the plugs unless you change something with the intake (free flow filter) or exhaust (open can) and unless you see excessive blue smoke or hear loud ticking from the engine, you do not need to adjust the valves.

Thanks D, hey just by cleanin the carb that will change the fact that its running rich? yesterday I pulled it out the garage and smelled gas, looked at the drive and gas had ran out?? float sticking? I will disassemble and clean like you suggest, anyone know the setting for the carb? there is a screw at the bottom how many turns out does it suppose to be?

/ 2 things I need answered please #7  
Thanks D, hey just by cleanin the carb that will change the fact that its running rich? yesterday I pulled it out the garage and smelled gas, looked at the drive and gas had ran out?? float sticking? I will disassemble and clean like you suggest, anyone know the setting for the carb? there is a screw at the bottom how many turns out does it suppose to be?

Yes, a dirty sticky diaphragm or float can stay open and continue to pour gas into the engine causing the rich symptoms and fouling. If it gets real flooded, it will start to drip out of the weep hole and that could lead to the gas smell, that or a cracked line.

Most carbs are the same air/fuel setting, 2-1/2 turns out (loosened) from completely seated (tightened). As you tighten the air/fuel screw in, count the number of revolutions so you can put it back to the previous setting just in case. You should try to find the specific setting for the carb but this is a good place to start and make sure you do not tighten it too hard or you can damage the tip.

Yes, a dirty sticky diaphragm or float can stay open and continue to pour gas into the engine causing the rich symptoms and fouling. If it gets real flooded, it will start to drip out of the weep hole and that could lead to the gas smell, that or a cracked line.

Most carbs are the same air/fuel setting, 2-1/2 turns out (loosened) from completely seated (tightened). As you tighten the air/fuel screw in, count the number of revolutions so you can put it back to the previous setting just in case. You should try to find the specific setting for the carb but this is a good place to start and make sure you do not tighten it too hard or you can damage the tip.

Thanks again, do you have any suggestion about the oil leak coming from pull crank case?

lastly i i remove the float, what is the correct setting for it? 17mm?

/ 2 things I need answered please #9  
Thanks again, do you have any suggestion about the oil leak coming from pull crank case?

lastly i i remove the float, what is the correct setting for it? 17mm?

As far as the crankcase, I would pull the cover which is probably where it is leaking from and clean any gasket material that is there and then get some RTV blue and make a new gasket.

For the float, take pictures or measurements if you can and keep it the same it is now. I don't know the stock adjustment off the top of my head. There shouldn't be any adjustment needed if you do not remove the needle, you can clean it with the spray cleaner and some wires from a wire brush. I find compressed air to be helpful too.