Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair

/ Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair #1  

TWO GUNS

Platinum Member
Has anybody out there have a clue what the cost to replace ( parts & labor ) for a front CV boot on a Honda Rubicon. I have baby'd this machine, and I'll be heck, today, a stick found it's way around the aluminum body armour for the boot....

:rolleyes:

/ Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair #2  
get yourslf a shop anual and buy tha parts your self i can't see the parts being more than 25.00 and the manual being about the same but the manual will pay for itself.

/ Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair #3  
The boot itself is 12 dollars. As long as there is not dirt in the knuckle, you can repair it. Its not that bad to do yourself, but i an sure a shop will soak you for it. I have the manual for the Rincon 650 in PDF if it would help.

/ Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair #4  
When I tore them on my Sportsman 500 I would pull the shaft take the CV apart and clean it then take it into my dealer and they would put it back together. The clamps require a special tool to seat properly and I didnt want to buy one. Price was somewhere around $55 i think.

/ Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair #5  
Here is a link to download a shop manual free.
ATV Service Manuals - ReMOSitory

They are not hard to change if your mechanically inclined.

Dura boot makes a replacement for around $20 bucks. You can usually get them at a ATV repair shop that sells parts.

The straps you have to have a tool to get them right...you can get this one at your local NAPA for around $13.00....
KD TOOLS 3191 - CV JOINT BOOT BAND WRENCH

I have heard of dealers charging up to $200 bucks to do them when you can do one in a couple of hours for far less.

/ Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair
Thanks everyone ~~~~
I'll let ya'll know how this comes out, fixin' to tackle this myself !!!
Honda dealership says it will be two plus weeks before they can even look at fixin it.
:eek:

/ Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair #7  
i get the straps at auto zone and they don't need no band wrench or nuthin. you just bend them over sorta like a rachet strap on a trailer then bend the tabs over to hold it down . the kit comes with two in it one large one and a small one it cost under 3.00 for the kit. i used two of them so for and they work great .infact i am about to go buy another one because i just recently tore another boot for the hurricane hauling brush to the dump .

/ Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair
Gotta be better than the HONDA OEM BANDS, the big ones were over $8 each, and forgot what the smaller ones were....
The parts bill for the two boots and three bands, ( they didn't have four like I needed )
was a small total of $ 71.63
Figured I would replace the other boot also, since I was going to have the dern shaft out anyway !!!!!!!!

/ Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair #9  
The band wrench is well worth the $13 dollars.

/ Honda Rubicon CV Boot Repair #10  
if ya wanna spend the money but the bands i get at autozone they ratchet theirself on so the wrench would be useless. and they sell for around 3.00 or under. i use them on my hpx .what kind do you dave to use with the wrench?? i never seen them i only used these that autozone sells.