test drove an rtv 500 and 900 this weekend --

/ test drove an rtv 500 and 900 this weekend -- #1  

Unregistered2013

Gold Member
-- back to back.

the reason i did this is because i thought the gasser engine would be nicer around the lawn, etc. over the 900, with lower noise and the like.

with the 500, we were immediately thwarted by its small size. it felt very much like a modified golf cart upon entry. my passenger and i were sitting side-by-side, without a lot of room between us -- and she weighs 105 lbs -- !!

My first blush with the rtv500 was that it was a lightweight vehicle -- lightweight in that i didn't feel comfortable with its top-heaviness. i also didn't like the lightweight ROPS and the overall cheap feel of it. the gas gauge is a floater-type that sits beneath the driver seat!

my girlfriend didn't like the feel of it either, with its lightweight manual-lift bed, we weren't thrilled.

next was the 900. comparing engine noise, we liked the 900 more -- it just seemed a little lower-pitched and more tolerable. most desireable was the nice open driver seat (increased width), plus the its stability -- there's no way that thing felt like tipping over!

so, that's it -- just my $.02 -- unless you absolutely need to get your rig in the bed of a pick-up, stretch a bit for the 900 -- it's a real kubota.

/ test drove an rtv 500 and 900 this weekend -- #2  
The RTV500 is made to compete with the polaris and kawaski machines of the world, its sized like they are. What we're finding is the same things that have made the 900 so wildly popular to begin with. Its only marginly more expensive for a diesel, power steering, and much heavier built machine.

/ test drove an rtv 500 and 900 this weekend -- #3  
Messick-

I went to the only available pics of the 1140 at your website, it looks exactly like the mule trans! Personaly, I don't think the 500 is in the same class as the Polaris, even the Polaris 500. The combination of work/play on the Ranger is unsurpassed!

/ test drove an rtv 500 and 900 this weekend -- #4  
Thought I'd add the point that a box bed liner made of
3/4" ply will save the bed and reduce the engine noise by quite a bit. WHen I put mine in it was an immediate and pleasant change.