Bombardier cold start issue

/ Bombardier cold start issue #1  

cef2lion

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4410, JD455
Posting for a friend. He has a Bombardier ATV. Think it is a 400 about 2 years old or less. Having issue with starting in cold weather. He said he had two people look at it and no better. I have not looked at just talked to him about it and said I would post and see if anyone has any suggetions. It cranks good but takes a long time for it to start. Are there any known issues? Things he should check.

Craig

/ Bombardier cold start issue #2  
Posting for a friend. He has a Bombardier ATV. Think it is a 400 about 2 years old or less. Having issue with starting in cold weather. He said he had two people look at it and no better. I have not looked at just talked to him about it and said I would post and see if anyone has any suggetions. It cranks good but takes a long time for it to start. Are there any known issues? Things he should check.

Craig

Does it have a choke and if so is he holding it out? Our Bombardier is a Traxter XT and is around 5 years old if I recall and the choke needs to be pulled out to start easy in cold weather. However, the choke doesn't like to stay out on its own so you have to hold it out while you start the atv.

/ Bombardier cold start issue #3  
Does it have a choke and if so is he holding it out? Our Bombardier is a Traxter XT and is around 5 years old if I recall and the choke needs to be pulled out to start easy in cold weather. However, the choke doesn't like to stay out on its own so you have to hold it out while you start the atv.

I guess I'm not the only one who has that problem. The choke on our Traxter XL500 won't stay pulled out either. The friction adjustment doesn't seem to tighten the cable enough. I tried to adjust the friction but broke the thru-panel fitting. It is also difficult to start when real cold probably, I suspect because the cable isn't pulling the chokeplate completely closed. If I really pull on the choke hard, it will start. It has never not started, but sometime, I'll have to figure out how to adjust the cable travel.

/ Bombardier cold start issue #4  
I guess I'm not the only one who has that problem. The choke on our Traxter XL500 won't stay pulled out either. The friction adjustment doesn't seem to tighten the cable enough. I tried to adjust the friction but broke the thru-panel fitting. It is also difficult to start when real cold probably, I suspect because the cable isn't pulling the chokeplate completely closed. If I really pull on the choke hard, it will start. It has never not started, but sometime, I'll have to figure out how to adjust the cable travel.

I have toyed with trying to adjust it also but know I will break something if I mess too much with it. I am able to hold the choke all the way out if I pull it out and turn it to the right it usually holds. I don't know why but it usually works but not all the time. I use it all the time now to go hunting as I can't walk uneven ground too well anymore so it has been out in 15 degree cold and starts up fine with the choke out. It doesn't get too much colder then that usually. My biggest problem is the wheels freeze up on it when it gets that cold as our ground doesn't freeze under the snow so the water and slush coats everything. And if I drive it thru the creek...:rolleyes: but I do like it a lot. I use to have a big bear 350 that was set up for mud and it gave me a lot of problems starting in the cold. If you used the choke more then once or twice it would foul the plug and once the plug was fouled you needed to replace it as cleaning it didn't help at all. Yamaha's mechanics here told me that over the phone as soon as I told them my problem so I always kept a few spark plugs on hand for that machine just so I had a replacement on hand.