J D 6x4 Gator Diesel Glow Plugs

/ J D 6x4 Gator Diesel Glow Plugs #1  

allenr

Gold Member
Tractor
Duetz DX3.70, Fendt 305LSA,260S & 205P,Kubota B6100E & 3 x B5100E & RTV900, Caterpillar 428C
In my search for a diesel UTV, I today had a test drive of a Gator 6x4 Diesel.

While the unit left me largely un-impressed, one notable positive was it's need for little or no glow plug time. (It was perhaps near 20 deg C - 60 - 70 deg F)

Having owned Kubota B5100 & B6100 tractors, which need 20 - 30 seconds, when cold, I wonder why the Yanmar in the J D needs so little?

Or are modern Kubotas better in this respect too?

/ J D 6x4 Gator Diesel Glow Plugs #2  
I had a diesel 6x4 and now have a diesel HPX. At 70 deg F the glow plugs only stay on for maybe 5 seconds. Most of the time you don't even have to wait for them to heat to start the engine. The biggest gripe I had with my 6x4 was the rough ride. It was a tough machine in its day but it's way outclassed now.

/ J D 6x4 Gator Diesel Glow Plugs #3  
I belive some of the newer Kubotas start better. i belive it is a function of direct injection. No precup. Indirect injection makes a quieter engine but usually has a tougher time starting in the cold. If you drove a TH6x4 diesel it only real benefit is hauling heavy loads. The HPX and XUV are better at everything else.

/ J D 6x4 Gator Diesel Glow Plugs
   / J D 6x4 Gator Diesel Glow Plugs #5  
Is it the difference between cylinder glow vs. precharge air glow? I have a JD 1070 with a 4 cyl Yanmar having the precharge 20 seconds requirement and a 3 cylinder F935 with glow plugs that times out at 7 seconds. They both start instantly, even in the 0 deg F air we had yesterday.

/ J D 6x4 Gator Diesel Glow Plugs
Is it the difference between cylinder glow vs. precharge air glow? I have a JD 1070 with a 4 cyl Yanmar having the precharge 20 seconds requirement and a 3 cylinder F935 with glow plugs that times out at 7 seconds. They both start instantly, even in the 0 deg F air we had yesterday.

Do you mean "instantly", after the glow plug time?

And does "precharge air glow" mean a glow plug/s in the intake manifold?

I'd guess that glow plugs in the cylinder would be better, but that's what my 5100 & 6100 have.

/ J D 6x4 Gator Diesel Glow Plugs #7  
I have a 2004 John Deere 6x4 Gator. It has a 2004 Yanmar Diesel engine in it.

we are currently in afghanistan and we have a couple broken ones.
We managed to salvage an almost entire engine from one but i cant find any info for it online.

What engine is it? and sorry I am a new member and i cant post a new thread yet. Our time is short and we are rebuilding the engine with what little supplies we have.

Can anyone offer advice?