Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun
Better watch your home state.
They may try to charge you back tax if they ever find out about this.

Buy anything online out of state and you are charged no sales tax.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #23  
1*Buy anything online out of state and you are charged no sales tax.
Yeah I know I just bought 2 tractors Nov,2007 that way.
The new 2004 I bought in oct 2004 at a dealer in Wv. was a different story = had to pay sales tax on it.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #24  
You will love this Hubjeep. I was transporting some military equipment and there were these jeeps. I swear, direct spinoffs of the m38b flat fender with the high hood. I looked it over and I swear the front end came right off a 42 ford. It was right hand drive and had a 4speed with the old conventional transfer two stick and get this a, 4cyl diesel. The only thing I noticed that had changed body wise is that it had about a 6inch extention behind the rear axle for a bit more room in back.
These were made in India. I think if they went to left hand drive they would sell like hotcakes over here. Those old ford jeeps were the ruggedest ever made.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #25  
Don't sound fair/rite to charge homeowners tax and let farmers off the tax bite when both are buying the same piece of equipment.

Although I don't pay sales tax for ag equipment, the state still collects personal property tax on the equipment. It ends up being similar to the sales tax, just paid out over a longer time-usually 5 years. When I buy a trailer, I have to pay sales tax and personal property tax - even if I use it for ag purposes. Homeowner would just pay sales tax in my state.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #26  
Buy anything online out of state and you are charged no sales tax.

Buying, online and out of state does not mean you are not liable for the sales tax. You are supposed to report and pay the sales tax in your own state. I recently had that explained to me by the Tn. Dept. of Revenue. I was ordering computer supplies on line and out of state and thought I was doing everything right. Wrong! Ended up having to write a check for the sales tax on all those purchases.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #27  
Buying, online and out of state does not mean you are not liable for the sales tax. You are supposed to report and pay the sales tax in your own state. I recently had that explained to me by the Tn. Dept. of Revenue. I was ordering computer supplies on line and out of state and thought I was doing everything right. Wrong! Ended up having to write a check for the sales tax on all those purchases.

Yep. I just received a Q&A form from my accountant asking if I had bought anything out of state and not paid taxes on it.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #28  
Our RTV is an integral part of our life here in the hills and outperforms ever other make on nearby properties. It makes unlimited 300' climbs up our hills, fords the creeks while it carries tons of firewood, supplys, water, sprayers, kids, dogs, old and new folks and so on. It always starts, needs minimal maintenance and 25 mph is as fast as my cardio system will handle. Nough said.:D

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #29  
Howdy all,
I currently have an early 1990 Cushman diesel TurfTruckster to haul things around the yard and down to the beach, and two old Jeep Wranglers that sit for 9 mos out of the year to only be used for to plow my driveway and a couple neighbors driveways (I live on Long Island, NY, last year we had one 4" snow, we get something like 25" of snow each year on average). I am looking to sell all three and buy one 4X4 utility vehicle.

Here is an approx breakdown of usage time over a year:
Plowing: 15%
Hauling logs, loads of woodchips: 15%
Towing 20' boat/trailers slowly across yard in low gear: 5%
Driving to neighbors houses and beach with little to no cargo: 65%

I test drove a Kubota RTV900 yesterday, it is quite the machine, and unlike others I read about has a hydraulic drive and power steering. I am kind of on the fence about hydro versus belt drive, the belt drive seems simpler, as the unit will not see too many hours. One drawback I read about was the always locked rear axle, which may not be so good on grass and pavement, which is the terrain I will be on most of the time.

The Kawi Mule 4010 diesel is another option with utility in mind.

For utility/fun the Yamaha Rhino comes to mind. I am usually all for diesel (nearly everything I own is diesel powered), but for short trips a gasser could be fine, even better for start and go, especially in cold weather.

Well, what's the final decision?

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun
Well, what's the final decision?

None yet. I did sell the Jeep with plow, which was really nice to get out of here.

Still leaning towards the Mule, that is the only one with a fold down second row seat.

I am really in no hurry now, my buddy is picking up the couple local driveways, and I have the Cushman for yard chores.

Part of me feels like a sucker paying so much for a new one (especially in this "economy"), but used diesels are hard to find. I would buy a gasser if an EXCEPTIONAL deal came alone.