Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #31  
Hi I am new to the forum and trying to research UTV's also.

We have an old gas powered Mule that doesn;t like the cold weahter starts. We are the third owners of and have run it hard for 5 years - stored outside. We don't know the year but have pegged it to be at least 15 years old. Needless to say we believe in the durability of the Kawi. It has been steller all things considered. I would love to have diesel as it simplifies many issues on the farm but because I am trading my Honda Rubicon to make the new purchase I have considered the RTV's that I can play on a bit. Here is some of what I have found out but I am not to a point where I am ready to pull the trigger:

If I go diesel - Kawi Mule or Deere XUV. Leaning Kawi Mule only because the seating of the trans. Deere w/ the Yanmar diesel is a reliable well built unit (We have a JD 4010 w/ Yanmar - very dependable) Other than the 2 rows of seating, it comes down to price. 2009 Kawi has a nice makeover as well - looks like a little truck.

If I go gas (for the added fun factor) EFI is a must -

Rhino - has been out the longest of the RTVs. Is the smallest of the three I am considering (good for trail riding, a bit more limited in the work application). Reliable single cylinder engine proven EFI.

Kawi Teryx - Middle of the three in overall size and cargo bed size. Proven twin cylinder engine. 2009 will have EFI.

Honda Big Red - This was a late entry in my research but looks to have been very well thought out for work with just a lilttle bit of fun factor. Not a lot of bells and whistles but when you get up close it is quickly apparent that it is high quality - typical Honda product. Not big on the looks department but many other positives. No belt drive - it has the same proven 3 speed tranny used in the Rubicon. EFI. Size wise it is a little smaller than the Mule and bigger than the Terex. Very spacious comf cab with doors etc. Anyone have a 1st hand review on this. Other than people mocking the looks and size (too big) I have heard only good. I believe the detrctors are youger folks who were hoping for Honda to release something to compete with the Rhino/Razor market. This clearly does not. Instead this competes with the Mule with a slpash of fun - top speed 35 mph.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #32  
How fast does the JD Gator with Diesel go at top-end? I think I am asking about the 850D. I have heard that the brakes are a dissapointment on the Gators. Any truth to this? Any plans to improve?

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #33  
The 850D goes 30 mph according to the claims. I've never taken the GPS along to measure. It goes plenty fast for my needs and wants. I have sports cars if I want to go faster :D
When we first got ours, I was disappointed with the brakes. I think they take some breaking in, because they aren't an annoyance any more at 25 hours. I had heard that I'd be happy by the time I got to 50 hours but I don't really consider them a problem any more.
To me, the machine seems like a beast and I like it. I do not have experience with the others to be objective. I'm a biased fan of John Deere with a dealership nearby and I've had disappointment with Polaris and Kawasaki ATVs so it was easy to do a lot of reading about the Gator, then test drive it and buy it.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #34  
In my opinion you can't beat a Gator XUV overall. I own JD products and am loyal to them, but not so loyal I would not choose another brand if I felt it a better choice for me. When I looked at UTV's I seriously looked at the Gator XUV, the Mule, the Polaris Ranger (I got one for my dad) and the RTV Kubota. My simple view is that the Gator has the best mix of strengths with the fewest overall weaknesses. It is not as fast as the Ranger, but based on my usage, pulls much better and has a better warranty and I think build quality unit to unit. It is faster than the Kubota or Mule and much better in tricky offroad situations, more like the Polaris. So, when I looked at all of the models the only one that was at or near the top for off-roading and tough terrain, and still offered a diesel option and solid work performance was the Gator. I also have bought another brand (Polaris) so I have a direct comparison. My dad loves his Polaris, but he mostly uses it to run his property, plow a little snow and haul light things over rough terrain. The Polaris can do more, but I do not get the sense it is made to be a total work machine. My usage is generally more low speed, harder work type things, where the torque and fuel economy of the diesel shines. I really thought about the Kubota as it is a beast for hauling and I really liked the true hydrostatic tranny, but felt I would be stuck about 75% of the time with one where I go often. As for the brakes, they do not stop as well as my dad's Ranger, but they have done OK and still have some wear on the pads with 140 hours of running in the mountains. As for top speed, mine will go about 35 mph on flat terrain, but this is mainly due to the aftermarket, larger, wheels and tires I run. As I have stated before and no offense to those with gasoline models, but I encourage anyone looking at the XUV to strongly consider the additional money for the diesel engine. Having had the same machine in diesel and gas, the diesel has much more power and torque "under the curve" and gets about double the fuel economy. I suspect the engine would also last until the machine fell apart otherwise.

John M

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #35  
I did a little research over the past year. If your looking at mostly pure utility, Kaw Mule, JD, Honda, Polaris Ranger 6x6, Bobcat and Kubota are your choices. Some may argue the Honda has some sport but at 30-35mph, it is utility in my book (Also anything that plain/ugly must be utility.:D ) Mostly all sport is the Polaris RZR. In between but more to the sport side are the Polaris Ranger XP, Yamaha Rhino, Kaw Teryx, Cat Prowler 700 and 1000. Ranger is a little more utility with bench front seat and larger cargo capacity. The Prowler 1000 seems quite expensive with list at $13,999 but does come with bragging rights for most powerful UTV. I have read claims of 65 mph in the Prowler 1000. That is just crazy in these short wheel base vehicles. Lots of crossover in claims in the middle group. Some claim to pull as much as the utility group. Most use CVTs which have been well proven in reliablitly and function. Belts keep getting stronger and lasting longer. It really depends on what you want/need. There is a UTV designed for almost anyone and oftern 2-4 choices.

If go gas, get EFI. It is becoming the standard in the larger UTVs and ATVs. Easy cold starting, better response, some argue better economy, and can change altitiude easily.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #36  
How do you guys with the diesels like the motors. Drove a Kubota 1100 and 900 but didn't like the noise, vibration at idle or sluggish performance. Fancy HST trans but my most optimum speed/power always seemed to be between the high and low selector ranges. Power seemed poor in high range. My brother has an early Kaw Mule 1000 and it seemed similar to the Kubota engine in response, power etc. The cabbed Kubota 1100 is way to noisey in the interior. They need to use much more sound deadening. No reasonable way to hold a conversation in that cab. I though they really cut corners in deadening the cab - it is not that expensive to do it right.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun
How do you guys with the diesels like the motors. Drove a Kubota 1100 and 900 but didn't like the noise, vibration at idle or sluggish performance.

I have a diesel Cushman and looking for diesel 4x4 UTV. Diesels are not race cars, but the torque is amazing especially in low.

There are also other benefits to diesels, fuel does not go bad sitting nearly as fast as gas, no ignition system, no exploding fumes, etc.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #38  
Radman,

I cannot speak to the Kubota and how it compares with other diesels, but I have owned both an HPX JD gas and diesel and an XUV gas and diesel (I now have the XUV diesel--as you know). As for noise, my best way of saying is that the diesel XUV is much louder with more vibration at idle and becomes smoother and less noisy when running. The gas Gator XUV as more quiet at idle and becomes more noisy when running. I think many an XUV buyer has shunned the diesel due to having a dealer start it and feeling as though it would be more noisy than the gas when running, which it is not. The other thing that throws potential buyers is the similar peak torque readings for the diesel and gas engines. This is PEAK torque, not usable torque. The diesel's torque changes very little with RPM changes where the gas engine fluctuates more. Thus the diesel has much more torque at virtually every RPM except peak, where it still has more, but slightly. Literally, in my hills, the diesel version I have now feels like it has twice the power of the gas. It also uses much less fuel, and even with expensive diesel prices it is a money saver for high hour users (though probably not enough to fully offset engine cost). Interestingly, the Polaris 700, I have read, has 40 hp, but not much more torque (in the low 40's lb ft.). Couple this with a CVT made for more top end and one can see why it does not seem to pull any better as the XUV (and in my opinion not as well as the diesel XUV). My dad's 700 will easily outrun my diesel Gator, everywhere. Uphill, downhill, etc. it is much faster. But, hook a heavy trailer to it or load the bed with a heavy load and the story changes. My most vivid recent recollection is pulling my 20' tandem UTE trailer from my parents steep back yard to the front for truck hookup. My dad's Polaris would not budge it. It strained and slipped. I went back to the house, got my XUV (which I had brought on the trailer) and jerked it up the hill with no slippage and little strain--in high range. Although there are many variables here, and I realize that, there are always going to be variables and in this case it either would or would not do it. I do not know if it was the diesel in this case or the weight or the CVT setup, but the Gator will pull much better than the XP700 my dad has, based on my use of both. For my dad's use, he wanted something that would work but was semi-sporty and comfy, with a bench seat. I bought the Ranger for him and have no regrets. He has an excellent Polaris dealer in his locale and a marginal JD one. I do not know if this answers the diesel question, but I hope it helps some. I will say, specific to the Kubota, that it is EXTREMELY heavy, and in my opinion, TOO heavy. This really handicaps an engine with less than 25 hp, either diesel or gas. Mid 2000 pound tractors with that HP have no top end either, so I doubt a UVT would do any better.

John M

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #39  
jcmseven thanks for the review. Do you have any experience with the diesel Mule 3010 (or 4010) in comparison to your diesel XUV? Those are the two that have my attention. Thanks in advance.

/ Utility vehicle - utility vs. fun #40  
jcmseven

I agree with you. The diesel does seem to be quieter and less vibration at faster rpms. The Kubota 1100 weighs just under 2500 lbs. The 900 about 1950lbs, depending on model. That is 2X more weight than most UTV's.