Which power steering ATV to buy

/ Which power steering ATV to buy #1  

Ryan03

Platinum Member
Tractor
Farmtrac DTC270, Kubota G5200hydro, Honda recon 250, Suzuki King Quad 450 4x4, 2003 2500 DMax/Allison 4x4
In a month or two, I will be purchasing a new 4x4 ATV to replace the Big Bear that I sold a couple of monthes ago. I mainly ride in mud and water, with some trail and work riding here and there. I plan on lifting it, throwing on some 27's and snorkeling it. The more that I think about it, the more I think that I will want power steering, although I have never ridden a power steering ATV. I am leaning toward the Honda Rubicon with EPS, mainly because the power steering unit is cheaper to replace at $590.00, vs. $1,048 for the Yamaha Grizzly, and $960.00 for the Polaris. Honda also sells a replacement Steering motor by itself for $114.00, while the others make you buy the whole assembly. Does any one have any experience with Power Steering ATV's, how does the,power steering get along with big tires? Any reliability issues? I am not firm on the Honda, just leaning that way. The must haves are minimum 500cc's, high and low range, selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive, $9k or under. I would like, but don't have to have, independent rear suspension, front diff lock, water proof storage, and power steering. Reasonably priced parts and serviceability as well as longeivity are top concerns, and could be a deal breaker

/ Which power steering ATV to buy #2  
I have a Polaris with power steering and it's awesome.....Definitely worth the money. I can turn my wheels from side to side on concrete with one finger and the engine is not running....just the key on. It feels good on the trails. You can bargain for the PS in this economy.

I bought a 4 year service contract from Polaris, so the parts and labor are covered if anything dies. Not sure what they'd think about all the mudding. Wonder if they'd consider this abuse and not cover it? Would likely just have to keep your specific riding style quite. But I guess it depends on how many times you came in for a new PS unit. I'd go with the contract since parts and labor are so expensive. A couple things could pay for the contract quickly.

Last edited:
   / Which power steering ATV to buy
Thanks for the reply, since you own a power steering atv, hopefuly you won't mind if I pick your brain a little more. What I am getting at is, say the electric power steering motor died out on the trail, can you still steer the atv manualy with additional effort to get back to civilization, or is this impossible to steer. Just trying to get all of my ducks in a row before I go ahead and pull the trigger on one.

/ Which power steering ATV to buy #4  
I haven't blow one out....thankfully, but I've read that the failed system will not keep you from getting home. It may take a bit more effort to move the parts, but it will work. I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure the manufacturers have tested that scenario in various forms. Can you imagine the backlash if people got stuck miles out in the woods because of a failure in the power steering system? I'd think the manufacturer's legal dept has looked into this too.

/ Which power steering ATV to buy #5  
I recently bought a 2008 Honda Rubicon. I test drove a 2009 with power steering, then test drove the 2008. I honestly couldnt tell that much of a difference. I think the power steering becomes noticable in rough terrain such as climbing over rocks, or going over logs, and things that tend to jerk the wheel from your hands. I have been doing alot of riding on my Rubicon over various terrain and I can honestly say that I dont miss not getting the power steering. a very good friend of mine who is a Honda Mechanic even went as far to steer me away from it, not that its junk or anything but he did say that he's seen more in his shop with the power steering then without. i think it was because Honda had a recall on it, not sure. for what it's worth though, I find my 2008 just as easy to steer as one with power steering. I wouldnt have believed it either, until I test drove them back to back. also consider that the ATV is alot easier to steer with the power steering when in 4wd.

I was thinking about it for 2 reasons realy, 1st, my wife rides with me, she is small framed and rides a 250 Recon, which is 2wd. I have tried to get her into a smaller 4x4 ATV, mostly to save me some work ,as many times I have to stop and help her over boulders and pull her through some muddy areas. Her biggest gripe with the 4x4's is how hard to steer they are, and within a couple hours of riding, her arms are worn out. If I could eliminate that issue, I am sure she would have no problem going with a new power steering rancher AT next year, as she has commented how she want's a 4x4 atv, but just can't steer one. 2nd, I have heard that power steering cuts way down on the bumps and jolts coming back through the handle bars, which would be a big improvement for me running over size tires and riding in boulder strewn creeks. I figure if I buy power steering and she rides mine a few times and likes it, It will change her mind about how 4x4's steer, and even if it doesn't change her mind, I would benefit from the reduced shock coming back through the handlebars from 6 or so hours of riding in boulder and log strewn creeks

/ Which power steering ATV to buy #7  
I was thinking about it for 2 reasons realy, 1st, my wife rides with me, she is small framed and rides a 250 Recon, which is 2wd. I have tried to get her into a smaller 4x4 ATV, mostly to save me some work ,as many times I have to stop and help her over boulders and pull her through some muddy areas. Her biggest gripe with the 4x4's is how hard to steer they are, and within a couple hours of riding, her arms are worn out. If I could eliminate that issue, I am sure she would have no problem going with a new power steering rancher AT next year, as she has commented how she want's a 4x4 atv, but just can't steer one. 2nd, I have heard that power steering cuts way down on the bumps and jolts coming back through the handle bars, which would be a big improvement for me running over size tires and riding in boulder strewn creeks. I figure if I buy power steering and she rides mine a few times and likes it, It will change her mind about how 4x4's steer, and even if it doesn't change her mind, I would benefit from the reduced shock coming back through the handlebars from 6 or so hours of riding in boulder and log strewn creeks

is the atv in question going to be for your wife or are you buying one for her and one for yourself? if it's just going to be for her, then the hightest i would consider for her is a 420 Rancher. they come with power steering and even rear independant suspension now. she would love the ride i'm sure! i feel her gripe about steering in 4wd being a pain. i'm a grown man and i'm glad i am able to shift from 2wd to 4wd as i would hate to have to drive in 4wd constantly. that would be the one to look at for her. you might want to warn her though that those 420's are a BIG step up from the recon shes used to. lot's of get up and go! i bought the Rubicon simply because i liked the auto tranny, and higher rack capacity to haul things around my farm. it's got more power then i will ever need. i had a 500 foreman and in a seat of the pants comparison, the Rubicon will smoke a Foreman. it just feels like it has SO much more power. i thought it was just me, but i let two of my friends ride it and they confirmed my statements. i can tell you that youll be ok with putting bigger tires on a power steering model. i say that because the Honda place i bought mine from had several Foremans, Ranchers, and a Rubicon with wheel and tire kits on them and several had the power steering. i doubt they would sell them like this if it voided the warranty or wasnt good for the power steering. i didnt ask too many questions about the power steering when i was shopping because that wasnt a selling point for me. just make sure your wife knows that most all 4 wheelers have the option to shift on the fly from 2wd to 4wd. as far as power steering goes, i think(i'm not sure) that Honda is the only one that offers it in the smallest ATV(Rancher 420).

The 4x4 purchased this year will be for me, and will be 500cc or more. It is one of my hopes that if I buy power steering on my ATV, she will warm up to riding it, and by next year I can buy her a power steering 4x4 as well. I am familiar with the new rancher 420 auto with independent suspension and power steering, I just read a good reveiw of it in my ATV mag. It is exactly what I had in mind for her.

/ Which power steering ATV to buy #9  
The 4x4 purchased this year will be for me, and will be 500cc or more. It is one of my hopes that if I buy power steering on my ATV, she will warm up to riding it, and by next year I can buy her a power steering 4x4 as well. I am familiar with the new rancher 420 auto with independent suspension and power steering, I just read a good reveiw of it in my ATV mag. It is exactly what I had in mind for her.

if I were in the market again for a 500cc or better ATV here are my top 3

1) Honda Rubicon
2)Yamaha Grizzly 550/700
3) Suzuki King Quad 500