Great traction system or what?

/ Great traction system or what? #2  
Very cool. I want one.

/ Great traction system or what? #3  
Great video, I really enjoyed it.

Ah the good old days, where a test pilots wore a suit and tie, complete with top hat.

There must be a drawback to this, otherwise it would have been used beyond the prototype stage. We just have to figure out what it is.

I noticed they neglected to show it in mud.....???

It seems as though the drive system was through levers, yet the operator was turning the steering wheel?

/ Great traction system or what? #4  
...test pilots wore a suit and tie, complete with top hat.

There must be a drawback to this, otherwise it would have been used beyond the prototype stage. We just have to figure out what it is.

Now we know who got the best looking gals in 1924.:rolleyes:

I suspect its top speed of 8 mph may have held it back.

/ Great traction system or what? #5  
That is cool!

I think the 8 mph top speed was limited by the vehicle and not the drive system so that may not be the limiting factor. They say "in emergency you can cross bare ground" and then they show it in a grass field, note it is much slower and does not turn as sharp. I suspect it needs the low friction of snow and ice to work so well due to the large drum surface area in contact with the ground. I can see how tracks are better suited for heavy machinery but it would be neat to see a personal vehicle like a snowmobile with a set of these on, something with a base like a Rhino/Ranger...

/ Great traction system or what? #6  
I wonder if that design could be taken a step further, by filling the drums with foam and making the vehicle float on water as well.

/ Great traction system or what? #7  
Actually, that design was used in mining as well (you may see an old one if you check out some hard rock mining museums.

It IS neat.

I believe they were steered by using the brakes (watch his feet...).

/ Great traction system or what?
It's actually a very simple and novel design.
If the helical track was made a little deeper, I could see this thing travelling on snow and water with great ease, with modern day lighter and tougher metals.
I bet TommyHPH could throw something like this together in very little time :)