My newest toy...

/ My newest toy... #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
Ater surfing and window-shopping for weeks, in addition to kicking a few tires I bit the bullet and just put a deposit down on a new-in-the-crate 2008 model Rhino 450 Special Edition. One of these puppies...

2008_2_Rhin450SpecEd_Blue.jpg

After pricing both new and used UTVs of several brands, I found a deal on this one that I just couldn't refuse. $6999 on a new 2008 model (still in the crate) that had an MSRP of $9199. The out-the-door price from a NYC dealer was $7280.50, but I'll still have to pay the 5% Massachusetts sales tax when I register it. [:D][:D] This compares to an out-the-door quote of $9000 on a new 2009 base model Rhino 450 from my local dealer. I can drive a hundred miles or so for that difference!

That price leaves me enough in my budget to add some more goodies to it -- though certainly not all from dealers -- maybe ending up with something like this... This Build Your Own feature on the Yamaha site is neat! [8D][8D]
My Rhino 2008 SE.jpg

I won't be picking it up for a few days --likely next weekend -- they have to assemble it and prep it. The time will pass slow, I'm sure! [:D]

/ My newest toy... #2  
You'll love it,I have a 2006 that I bought new(has 1,000 touble free miles now)Same machine as the 660/700 injected,but a lot better gas milage.I traded a 660 Grizzley that was a great machine but a bear on gas.I added an after market front rack,roof,windshield.

/ My newest toy...
You'll love it,I have a 2006 that I bought new(has 1,000 touble free miles now)Same machine as the 660/700 injected,but a lot better gas milage.I traded a 660 Grizzley that was a great machine but a bear on gas.I added an after market front rack,roof,windshield.

I hope so -- I just thought it was a heck of package at that price. I just didn't see the need to go 45 MPH, and the 450 seem to fit my needs much better, based upon my research:

1. More pulling power at low speeds due to its lower (numerically higher) gear ratio -- i.e. a better (though slower) hill climber and rock crawler

2. Better gas mileage and perhaps even more reliability

3. $1500 or so less money...

Only negative I've found is lower resale value -- but with the upfront savings, I'm not overly concerned...

/ My newest toy... #4  
Nice...very darn nice!!!
Looking forward to pics. :)

/ My newest toy... #5  
I have been looking for a similar deal around here like that. I really like the Rhino's as an all-around work and play machine. Congrats on the find and post some pics when it arrives!

/ My newest toy... #6  
i got the 08,700fi they are nice but i don't haul anything with it but for riding around you can't beat it. i hope you have fun. i hear the 2010 is comin out with a 2 seater can't wait to see them in full i seen some pictures but thats about it.

/ My newest toy...
i got the 08,700fi they are nice but i don't haul anything with it but for riding around you can't beat it. i hope you have fun. i hear the 2010 is comin out with a 2 seater can't wait to see them in full i seen some pictures but thats about it.
I already have two different trailers I can tow with it -- at low speeds, since they're designed for garden tractors/SCUTs.

So, I hope I can live with the 400lb payload of the box, and it's 1200 lb towing capacity is pretty much par for this size vehicle... In fact, the little Mule was the next closest rival to this on my list, for my needs, and its payload and towing capacity is the same.

/ My newest toy... #8  
well it will pull a trailer but i will tell you this it's gonna tear up your yard plus your gonna go through some tires one of the rhinos worst flaws is the rear end and it's inabilty to unlock. it's great on the trails but not so good in the yard or when pulling a load. as for as the 400lbs in the bed it will haul it but to me it's pushing it because of the cheap shocks they put on them now if you had some aftermarket shocks that could pop the rear end up and really keep it level then it would help out alot. some nice air shocks would be good that way you could just inflate for hauling and deflate for the trails. if you need anything for it let me know. i'm always makin something for mine and then changing my mind and makin something els so i then have the ole stuff layin around.

/ My newest toy... #9  
one of the rhinos worst flaws is the rear end and it's inabilty to unlock.

I don't know where you are getting this but the Rhino has "On-Command® In/Out 4WD feature lets you switch between 2WD, limited-slip 4WD and fully locked differential 4WD with the simple push of a button." I have ridden plenty of them and in 2WD only one wheel spins (unlocked) in the rear until you go 4wd. It's a typical open differential with electronic locking. There is no need for an open diff in 4wd so I don't see any problem with this setup.

/ My newest toy... #10  
the yamaha rhino has a locked rearend!! the locking and unlocking diferential in for the front. lmao that rear end is locked up 24/7/365 if you don't believe me go out in the yard and do some turns i ain't worried about the front diferential i already know it locks and unlocks i never mentioned anything about it. the ones you rode that only had one tire spinning in the rear must have all had a proken axle on the other side.

I don't know where you are getting this but the Rhino has "On-Commandï½® In/Out 4WD feature lets you switch between 2WD, limited-slip 4WD and fully locked differential 4WD with the simple push of a button." I have ridden plenty of them and in 2WD only one wheel spins (unlocked) in the rear until you go 4wd. It's a typical open differential with electronic locking. There is no need for an open diff in 4wd so I don't see any problem with this setup.