ATV field cutting

/ ATV field cutting #1  

Kosmo

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford/NH 1715
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone cuts fields with their ATV. I have a somewhat hilly 5 acres of goldenrod, milkweed, small saplings , etc., that needs to be cut once or twice a year. The terrain is a liitle steep for the tractor but a 4X4 atv would not be a problem. I just am concerned with the ability of self powered brush cutters to do the job. I'd appreciate any feedback befor I buy. Thanks

/ ATV field cutting #2  
I drag a Swisher behind a Gator to mowtrails & pond slopes. I think it's a 10 hp motor bought used.

Power wise not a problem it takes down 5' weeds & woody saplings. It stalls out only when hitting dirt peaks.

For 5 arcres do the math & consider the running hours. Gonna take a lot of determination!!!

/ ATV field cutting #3  
Check out the DR company. They make a tow behind Dr field and brush mower. You cant lose with them. Simply by there machine and try it out if it does not do the job, just send it back for a full refund including shipping. You just cant go wrong with them.

/ ATV field cutting #4  
Check out the DR company. They make a tow behind Dr field and brush mower. You cant lose with them. Simply by there machine and try it out if it does not do the job, just send it back for a full refund including shipping. You just cant go wrong with them.

Do you actually have one, or are you just impressed with DR?

I've had a walk behind DR for ten years and it's great. But the tow behind is a disappointment, a major disappointment.

First of all, it's too heavy for a 4 wheeler to pull except in ideal conditions. First time out with mine, I got stuck on a slight grade that was a bit muddy. Had to bring down a second 4 wheeler to get enough traction (both 400CC 4wd units).

The hitch mechanism is horrible, I really don't know what it was designed to mate with. I ended up having to get a plate welded to the hitch for it. And then it doesn't have enough range of movement for rough terrain.

I've ended up pulling it with a Kubota RTV900. That, or a compact tractor are appropriate tow vehicles, but if you have a compact tractor, a 3 point brush mower ("bush hog") is a lot less expensive and a lot better option.

The control box is awkward and the cable is not long enough. I've also had continuing problems with the throttle control cable.

Oh yeah, they do have a " 6 month return policy"....just try to figure out how to get it repacked and sent back! The crate is too big to sit in a pickup truck properly (I had to balance mine on the wheel wells) and almost couldn't get it out of the truck when I got it home, even with the loader!

My other complaint about the DR tow behind is that it does not cut very low. The lowest setting is a lot higher than the DR walk behind or what I can do with my brush mower. IOW, it does not cut low enough for walking trails.

I'm very happy with the DR walk behind mower, but the tow behind was one of my bad purchase decisions.

Ken

/ ATV field cutting #5  
Ken,
Thanks for your write up about the actual experience on the DR's tow behind junks. I almost spent $2000 on it.

/ ATV field cutting #6  
Ken,
Thanks for your write up about the actual experience on the DR's tow behind junks. I almost spent $2000 on it.

DR did improve the hitch on new units.

Glad to be of help.

Ken

/ ATV field cutting #7  
I've got a 44" Swisher rough cut mower. I've used it three times. Last time i used i ran over a basketball sized boulder. Man that was a scary sound :eek:. Still ran OK afterwards. I'm going to use it again this weekend. I use a 14hp John Deere garden mower to tow it.

/ ATV field cutting #8  
I've got a 44" Swisher rough cut mower. I've used it three times. Last time i used i ran over a basketball sized boulder. Man that was a scary sound :eek:. Still ran OK afterwards. I'm going to use it again this weekend. I use a 14hp John Deere garden mower to tow it.

I can imagine :eek: My 6' rotary cutter (e.g. bush hog) has encountered many obstacles over the years including rocks and logs. Make a heck of a racket, even scares my wife back at the house!

Ten years ago, my DR walk behind mower argued with a hidden concrete block....and WON! It actually chewed the corner off the block before I could stop it. I bought the mower with a spare "heavy duty" blade. I've never used it and I've never sharpened the original blade that had the encounter with the block.

Ken

/ ATV field cutting #9  
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone cuts fields with their ATV. I have a somewhat hilly 5 acres of goldenrod, milkweed, small saplings , etc., that needs to be cut once or twice a year. The terrain is a liitle steep for the tractor but a 4X4 atv would not be a problem. I just am concerned with the ability of self powered brush cutters to do the job. I'd appreciate any feedback befor I buy. Thanks

Acre Ease Kunz engineering is the best unit, but they are expensive compared to swisher
Kunz Engineering Inc., AcrEase Pull Mowers & Till-Ease ATV Tillage Equipment, Finish and Rough Cut Trailmowers

/ ATV field cutting #10  
Acre Ease Kunz engineering is the best unit, but they are expensive compared to swisher
Kunz Engineering Inc., AcrEase Pull Mowers & Till-Ease ATV Tillage Equipment, Finish and Rough Cut Trailmowers

I have an acrease 57in rough cut - it was expensive but for a reason. If you cut on steep hills you need to think about the lubrication, and Acrease addresses this with a Kohler engine. The tow method is unique but takes getting used to, and the way the wheels are layed out you can go across most any ditch without bottoming out. Backing up the mower is a challenge, until you get used to it

My mower is a heavy so I use a 660 Grizzly to tow it - I would recommend larger ATV's if you go this big on the mower and you're on slopes

My son did manage to get jacknifed sideways while mowing on a slope and ended up flipping over, but the hitch broke before the mower turned over. The grizz did flip, but the wheel offset on the mower kept it from going over

This is a heavy duty, well built, cutter. I have never been able to even come colse to bogging the engine down. The only other consideration I will mention is transportation. This is a long unit due to the frame configuration, so you will need a longer trailer