Want Advice on which UTV to buy.

/ Want Advice on which UTV to buy. #1  

Redfox

I just purchased a 32 acre property near the Blue Ridge MTns. The property is basically wooded mountain land. There is only one pasture that is at most 2 acres. Some of the land is rather hilly, a good bit of it has reasonable slopes.

I have a Deere 2110 CUT. I don't think the tractor is the best vehicle for the land. I need a vehicle that can help maintain the property, especially help with fallen trees and trail maintenance. The vehicle needs to be able to safely navigate mountain land safely, and not get stuck. The ability to cut the cut grass, and a front end loader would be big plus, but not essential since I can keep the CUT.

Any suggestions on a vehicle?

/ Want Advice on which UTV to buy. #2  
I thought you meant something like a mule till you said cut grass and fel,guess you're looking for a bigger tractor?

/ Want Advice on which UTV to buy.
I thought of a bigger tractor, but I don't think it would be stable on the slopes.
I thought a Toolcat might be a reasoanble idea, but I've read they don't have good traction and aren't good on hills.
How about something like a Bobcat 2300?
or maybe a Kub RTV900 and keeping the CUT?

/ Want Advice on which UTV to buy. #4  
Well,you do want a mule like thing.

I got a 610 mule[the smallest one],gas. It does real good on my hills and in mud,etc,but bed don't hold much,only rides two,real good for some things though and just putting around.

Can't think of any mule like think I've ever heard of with a fel.

I think you might be ready for a kioti ck,I got a ck 30,they sell a 20 and 27,35,etc,get a loader and brush hog,all are 4wd,get rear tires loaded.

Than get the mule and you are set,yard,garden,fields and puttering around!!

/ Want Advice on which UTV to buy. #5  
II need a vehicle that can help maintain the property, especially help with fallen trees and trail maintenance. The vehicle needs to be able to safely navigate mountain land safely, and not get stuck. The ability to cut the cut grass, and a front end loader would be big plus, but not essential since I can keep the CUT.

Any suggestions on a vehicle?

I dislike doing this, since I'm so obviously biased, but have you considered a Power Trac? It's not a UTV, but it is much more stable on slopes than a conventional tractor -- do everything you've described, and for less money than trying to keep and maintain two machines.

For the size of property you have, I'd recommend a 30HP or larger. I have a 25 myself, but I only have 5 acres. Check the Power Trac forum here, look at some of MossRoads videos of his 25 HP one, like mine, and see if one might work for you...

They're made not far away from you, in Tazewell VA...

/ Want Advice on which UTV to buy. #6  
For what you are describing, the Polaris HD or Bobcat units have the ability to put attachments on the front. IMHO, I would go with the Polaris Ranger HD.

Ranger : 2009 : 700 : HD : Features

/ Want Advice on which UTV to buy. #8  
What do you think of a toolcat for hilly land?

I think the TC is very stable on slopes and hills. The weight is centered lower compared to a compact tractor. Significantly better compared to cabbed CUTs. I have a JD 3720 with cab and it can be a little scary on the slopes. The 60" width of the TC is fairly narrow for its weight, but it doesn't feel tippy. However, the traction is limited. I think it would slide sidesways down a dirt or grassy hill before tipping. The R4 type tires are not very agressive and the tires are relatively small. TC is relatively poor in mud due to R4 tires. However, I don't think the TC is worse in mud than a CUT with FEL.

The independant suspension of the TC really does a good job with the bumps. Far smoother ride than a CUT. I have a Kawasaki Teryx RTV and it has a moderately stiff suspension compared to a Polaris Ranger which is relatively soft. I like the Polaris Rangers but I wanted a little more sport than utility. The TC is not too far off the Teryx for smooth ride with the smaller bumps. However, the Teryx will go near 50 mph and the TC 17-18 mph. Not to mention 11K vs 35K.

Something to consider is a used TC. Could save a significant chunk of change. The newer D series with the nice suspension and other upgrades have been around for a couple of years and used ones can be found for 20-25% off new. With the fantastic dump bed, cab, A/C, heater and multitude of available attachments, you will be set for long, long time.

I think of the TC as 20% pickup, 40% RTV, 40% CUT.

Last edited:
   / Want Advice on which UTV to buy. #9  
Have you thought about a Kubota RTV and a pull behind brush mower. There is a man over in the hills in Mississippi, that uses one all the time. He said he would never own nothing else. He has the power, stable, and cuts and maintains all the hills and hollows of this big hunting camp. I seen this thing and was really impressed.

/ Want Advice on which UTV to buy.
I think the TC is very stable on slopes and hills. The weight is centered lower compared to a compact tractor. Significantly better compared to cabbed CUTs. I have a JD 3720 with cab and it can be a little scary on the slopes. The 60" width of the TC is fairly narrow for its weight, but it doesn't feel tippy. However, the traction is limited. I think it would slide sidesways down a dirt or grassy hill before tipping. The R4 type tires are not very agressive and the tires are relatively small. TC is relatively poor in mud due to R4 tires. However, I don't think the TC is worse in mud than a CUT with FEL.

The independant suspension of the TC really does a good job with the bumps. Far smoother ride than a CUT. I have a Kawasaki Teryx RTV and it has a moderately stiff suspension compared to a Polaris Ranger which is relatively soft. I like the Polaris Rangers but I wanted a little more sport than utility. The TC is not too far off the Teryx for smooth ride with the smaller bumps. However, the Teryx will go near 50 mph and the TC 17-18 mph. Not to mention 11K vs 35K.

Something to consider is a used TC. Could save a significant chunk of change. The newer D series with the nice suspension and other upgrades have been around for a couple of years and used ones can be found for 20-25% off new. With the fantastic dump bed, cab, A/C, heater and multitude of available attachments, you will be set for long, long time.

I think of the TC as 20% pickup, 40% RTV, 40% CUT.

I went to the local BC dealer to look at the 2300 and TC. They didn't have a TC on site, but said they had one at another site. Funny thing is that the sales guy got really engaged and started pointing me towards used skid steers. He said that he could but me in a low hours, nicely equipped used skid steer for less than 1/2 of a new TC. This is certainly a totally different direction than a UTV!