UTV vs boxblade and mower

/ UTV vs boxblade and mower #21  
Thanks for the input, thats why I made this thread. I dont want to purchase the wrong piece of equipment again. I might have to drop the fun factor for more work capability.

I wanted a actual bobcat for so long, but the attachments cost so much, and your gonna end up with a older used piece for >$10k. Theres some nice compact tractors in that price range, new. But it would be so nice to have a dump bed right there for hauling firewood, weeds, etc, thats why I started looking at UTV's.

So now im back to square one :p

A tractor with a loader would do what the dump bed will and be easier to load. You just don't get to take a helper as easily with a tractor like you do with a UTV

/ UTV vs boxblade and mower #22  
A tractor with a loader would do what the dump bed will and be easier to load. You just don't get to take a helper as easily with a tractor like you do with a UTV

I don't think you can get near as much (firewood) into a loader as you can a UTV. And I think the UTV has more stability on hillsides than a tractor and loader.

I think I've only tried carrying firewood once in the loader and decided that the garden cart behind the 4 wheeler carried more. OTOH, a loader can certainly make a taller stack :) YMMV

Ken

/ UTV vs boxblade and mower #23  
Thanks for the input, thats why I made this thread. I dont want to purchase the wrong piece of equipment again. I might have to drop the fun factor for more work capability.

I wanted a actual bobcat for so long, but the attachments cost so much, and your gonna end up with a older used piece for >$10k. Theres some nice compact tractors in that price range, new. But it would be so nice to have a dump bed right there for hauling firewood, weeds, etc, thats why I started looking at UTV's.

So now im back to square one :p

Get a dump cart like those made by Country Manufacturing or something...

/ UTV vs boxblade and mower #24  
I don't think you can get near as much (firewood) into a loader as you can a UTV. And I think the UTV has more stability on hillsides than a tractor and loader.

I think I've only tried carrying firewood once in the loader and decided that the garden cart behind the 4 wheeler carried more. OTOH, a loader can certainly make a taller stack :) YMMV

Ken

Yes and no. Yes, for the size tractors the op is talking the UTV will most likely haul more wood then just a loader bucket. However, if you pile the box up that high with firewood you lose all your stability for hillsides. The loader can be loaded and left low just barely above the ground keeping the weight low and helping with stability. If he has a lot of firewood though he can get a 3pt carry all and load that along with the loader and keep both low to the ground which makes loading easy and keeps you stable during transport as well.

/ UTV vs boxblade and mower
So, the more i've been looking around, the bobcat Ct230 seems to be incredibly priced right now, with a FEL for 12k. Its a bit big for my needs, but im sure we can grow into it.

BOBCAT 30HP TRACTOR

The used market has older very used smaller tractors trying to sell for 8k. I'd rather get new with warrenty for alittle more.

/ UTV vs boxblade and mower #26  
If he has a lot of firewood though he can get a 3pt carry all and load that along with the loader and keep both low to the ground which makes loading easy and keeps you stable during transport as well.

Good suggestion for the carry-all on the rear although mine never worked out very well (okay....I was trying to carry rocks and I guess I overloaded it :eek:)

Ken