Honda 4 wheel service question

/ Honda 4 wheel service question #1  

Mark_in_NH

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D w/ 16LA FEL
My knowledge of ATVs is limited so I need some help..
I have just gone to work for a new client who owns a large lake front vacation home. They have a Honda 4 wheeler, (model ?) They want me to use it and a small trailer for moving all the furniture, beach toys etc. up to the garage for the winter and then of course back down to the beach in the spring.
The LCD dash shows the ATV as having 103 miles on it. Near the bottom of the screen (center) it is flashing 100 in small numbers. I suspect that this flashing 100 indicates the machine is due for service. Can anybody verify this for me ?

/ Honda 4 wheel service question #2  
My knowledge of ATVs is limited so I need some help..
I have just gone to work for a new client who owns a large lake front vacation home. They have a Honda 4 wheeler, (model ?) They want me to use it and a small trailer for moving all the furniture, beach toys etc. up to the garage for the winter and then of course back down to the beach in the spring.
The LCD dash shows the ATV as having 103 miles on it. Near the bottom of the screen (center) it is flashing 100 in small numbers. I suspect that this flashing 100 indicates the machine is due for service. Can anybody verify this for me ?

Is it the clock?

/ Honda 4 wheel service question
Is it the clock?

Possibly, although I don't think so. It is clearly flashing 100 and not 1:00 and it never changed in the hour plus that I was using the ATV. It constantly stayed a flashing 100.

/ Honda 4 wheel service question #4  
Most likely it's a Rubicon and that flashing number is the clock. If you think it's a check engine code then here is the procedure to check it:

Rubicon Hondamatic Code Retrieval

1. Put the gear shift lever in neutral (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and the ignition switch OFF (vehicle at a stop).
2. While pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP) simultaneously, turn the ignition key to the on position.
3. Release the UP and DOWN switches immediately, then at the same time push both the UP and DOWN shift switches again and hold form more than 2 seconds.
4. The problem code is displayed by a certain number of blinks - - on the gear indicator, which indicates the problem code by the number of blinks. If 哲 (neutral) stays ON on the position indicator, the retrieval process was not correctly performed. Repeat the procedures from step one at this time.)
5. When the problem code(s) displays, release the shift switches.

You should see - - for approximately 3 seconds then off, then the - - should flash, once for code one, twice for code two and so on. The engine control module (ECM) can store two different codes. If your ECM has stored two different codes, the first code displayed is the most recent and the second code is the earlier code. Write them down.
To Erase the Problem Codes
1. Push and hold the UP and DOWN shift switches simultaneously for 3 seconds of more while the problem code is being displayed (i.e., - - blinking on the gear position indictor).
2. When the erasure is completed, the blinking pattern changes to the erasure confirmation blink.
3. Turn the ignition off.

Initial Setting Procedure
Note:
ï½· After replacement of any of the following parts, perform the initial setting procedure below.
- ECM
- Throttle sensor*
- Angle sensor
*Also, perform the initial setting procedure if the throttle cable is disconnected (i.e., car-buretor removal/installation, cable replacement etc.).
ï½· The gear position blinks in Indicator Mode 2 when the initial setting was not made properly. Repeat the procedure from step 2.
1. Start the engine and let it idle about one minute with the sub-transmission in neutral. Stop the engine.
2. Make sure the gearshift lever is in the neutral position (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and turn the ignition switch off.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift switches) simultaneously.
4. Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift switches in the order of UP, DOWN, and UP. Do not hold the switches in).
5. A constant - - indication stays ON on the gear selector indicator. (If the gear position indicator shows a continuous 哲? repeat the procedure from step 2.)
6. Move the throttle lever to the fully closed position, then to the fully open position, and then move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after - - comes ON on the gear position indicator.
7. Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to adjust the angle sensor).
8. When the initial setting procedure is complete, the indication on the gear selector indicator changes from the continuous lighting of - - to the continuous lighting of 哲?
Code 1 - Ignition Pulse Generator system
Code 2 - Speed Sensor System
Code 3 - Gear Position Switch System
Code 4 - Throttle Sensor System
Code 5 - Angle Sensor System (Motor lock i.e., angle sensor, wiring, ECM, control
motor, motor transmission section, transmission unit)
Code 6 - Angle Sensor System (swash plate angle, sensor / wiring)
Code 7 - ESP shift switch system
Code 8 - ECM EEPROM
Code 9 - ECM voltage converter circuit
Code 10 - ECM fail-safe relay circuit
Code 11 - ECM motor drive circuit
Code 12 - ECM CPU

Does it look like this? The clock in the lower left corner does not have the : that a clock usually has.
post-2279-1249541546.jpg

/ Honda 4 wheel service question #5  
MARK,
Trust me, IT'S THE CLOCK >>>>>
I just walked out to my shop on one of my Honda Rubicons.
YEP, It is the Clock !!!

Either it has not ever been set up, or at one time or another, the battery run down or got replaced, and nobody ever took time to replace it.

Mine also, is FLASHING 1:00
It is not flashing the number 100

To set up, look in the Owners Manual, or should be able to go online and it will walk you threw setting the time on the machine ....

Hope this helps ....
............ Two Guns

Attachments

• Happy Cajun.jpg
    Happy Cajun.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 177
   / Honda 4 wheel service question #6  
HONDA RUBICON CLOCK
Yep, that is water going across the screen >>
I wiped the dust off and didn't dry >>>>
Click on picture to enlarge where you can see !!!!

Attachments

• Honda Rubicon Clock.jpg
    Honda Rubicon Clock.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 2,422
   / Honda 4 wheel service question #7  
I should have mentioned i have a Honda too, thats how i knew it was the clock:D

Any errors with the ESP appear in the gearchange indicator window

/ Honda 4 wheel service question #8  
I have a Honda Rubicon, and it's the clock.

/ Honda 4 wheel service question #9  
Setting the clock is easy... The two buttons (H-Hour) and (M-minute) sets the clock.

Just hold either one down to set it.

/ Honda 4 wheel service question
Well the general consensus tells me that the flashing 100 I see is the clock. I now believe you are all correct. The dash on this particular honda does not look like the picture that Dmace posted but is sure does look like the picture that TWO GUNS posted, although I think the gear indicator lights may be layed out a little different. It could simply be a different year or model. I don't remember seeing the : in the 100 but I probably just didn't pay close enough attention.
The owners may well still have the owners manual but they are currently at their house in MA, leaving soon for their house in Fort Lauderdale where they will board their new 130' yacht, where they will spend a large portion of the winter cruising the caribbean and the Mediterranean. Needless to say I don't want to bother them for the manual, they have enough to worry about. Given their schedule, life must really suck. Oh and yes, I am jealous. Yet, they seem like real down to earth, very nice people and I am going to like working for them.
When I am at the house tomarrow I will look at the honda again and I bet if I look close, I will see the : in the 100. I will also look to see which model it is incase I have more questions I will be a little better educated. There also has to be a tag on it somewhere that will help me identify the model year.
Thank you one and all for your help.