Polaris CV Boot Replacement

/ Polaris CV Boot Replacement #1  

Paystar

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
Anyone change the outer rear cv boots on a 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.? I usually take it to the dealer but too many instances of forgotten stuff and mistakes lately, so I bought the boot kits and was going to do it this weekend. But I read on some atv forums that the rear axle has to be removed from the tranny and it is real tough to yank out and that you need to install new spring clips? I don't have any other parts like snap rings, etc. so not sure if I should try it, with the parts dealer closed for the weekend.
Do I really need to remove the whole axle or can it be done by just taking the hub off?

Thanks for any advice.

/ Polaris CV Boot Replacement #2  
PayStar,
I have a 2006 700cc Sportsman and have replaced the outter boot. I have not done rear boot. Do a search on line to see if you can find a service manual. I found one I could down load for $10 and store on my computer. I do remember there being snap rings that held on the CV joint that I removed. I did not mess them up getting the joint off and reused. I did remove the axle shaft but it was not too bad as I recall. If you can down load a manual it may help with what you are preparing to do.

/ Polaris CV Boot Replacement
Thanks for the info Samandothers. Did both sides today. I was kinda worried after reading horror stories on an atv site for Polaris, but it was a piece of cake. The axle wasn't that bad to pop out. I also reused the snap rings as they did not lose any tension and seated perfectly again.
Last winter was the first time I had any problems...I had to get a front boot changed. We kept getting warm spells and freezing rain between really cold spells with lots of snow. I plowed one night in the rain, then it got really cold. I didn't clean the snow out of the a-arm guards and sure enough it froze and cut the boots. That's what put an early death to these rears too. I'll have to make sure I keep it clean this winter.

Thanks again.

/ Polaris CV Boot Replacement #5  
Glad to hear the job went well. Congrats!