UTV or Mini Truck?

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #11  
To me the UTV would be a blast compared to the mini truck.

I have a Kawaski Teryx. And I use as a farm vehicle, not recreation. It is in use, everyday, in/out all day long. It goes in the mud and wet without leaving track better than a tractor or truck. Having said that, unless you want to go faster than 25, I do...but admittedly a do a lot at less than 10mph, a mule has a much bigger bed and is probably a better utility UTV..
A friend of mine got a teryx and I drove it but I only got it up to about 25 mph, how fast will they go without blowing them up and what about the top speeds for the mule? From the posts that I have been reading it seems that the mule is a work horse but I get the feeling that they aren't very fast. Which side by sides will travel at a pretty good clip but yet will still be able to do work and also do some climbing and go in rough terrain and in some water{ mud holes and a shallow creek] occasionally? By the way I liked the teryx, it was a 750 le I believe with fuel injection are they very durable? I wouldn't be abusing one but I would want it to be capable if the occasion arose that I needed these abilities.

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #12  
I saw a suzuki samari the other day and I was thinking that they don't look any larger than some of the side by sides that I have been seeing lately especially the side by sides that has a front seat and a back seat, but you have to put licenses on the samari but you don't have to the side by sides, and where I live it isn't unusual to see 4 wheelers and side by sides on the main road. That don't hardly seem right does it? Do a little alterations and have a samari in a side by side disguise, hum a little redneck thinking.

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #13  
A friend of mine got a teryx and I drove it but I only got it up to about 25 mph, how fast will they go without blowing them up and what about the top speeds for the mule? From the posts that I have been reading it seems that the mule is a work horse but I get the feeling that they aren't very fast. Which side by sides will travel at a pretty good clip but yet will still be able to do work and also do some climbing and go in rough terrain and in some water{ mud holes and a shallow creek] occasionally? By the way I liked the teryx, it was a 750 le I believe with fuel injection are they very durable? I wouldn't be abusing one but I would want it to be capable if the occasion arose that I needed these abilities.

Mule top speed 25. Teryx...stock will run 30 in LOW, 50-55. Chip it, 60. with other mods 70-75. BUT on the mods, it not top speed, it how quick they get there and modded they are QUICK. You got the sport guys, then the utility guys which I'm one.

Having said all that, I have an 08 which is the carb version, and had a chip, but it created a mid range miss, and I took it off. I run around the ranch in low range all the time, since I seldom get over 15 mph. It is easier on the drive belt to run in low. I would not buy a carb version...very cold natured.

I built a tray for the bed to hold all sorts of ranch tools etc. I'd be lost without this thing. I don't think I could get it stuck, and you would not believe the places I've had it. And when I want to play a little, it's very agile. If I could change anything on this one....I'd like EFI, and a bigger bed, otherwise I like it a lot.

0326091020.jpg

1230081040.jpg

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #14  
I'd vote for a mini truck, here's mine: 1993 Suzuki Carry, heat, A/C, 22,000km and I've added a dump box.
IMG00057-20090915-1652.jpg

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #15  
Older....Joe don't do that to me....I'm 67.

I'm 57. I'll stick with my ATV. I can get it done quicker and with less wear and tear on me and the pasture. When it's warm and dry or the ground frozen a pick up would work just fine. When the ground turns to soup is when a UTV or ATV is better. Although I have two 4x4 trucks and a 4X4 tractor I'm not going to rut up my pasture with these when the ground is soft. A UTV or ATV won't do that.

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #16  
It all depends. Drawbacks to the minitruck I saw was parts availbilty, the cab if you have a lot of tree limbs and size. The advantage of the mini truck is the bed, if you need all that space then it is great, however you can get a decent trailer to pull behind a good UTV to gain you all that extra space and then some for those times you need it.

I like the UTV's more then mini trucks as they seem much more capable in off road situations. Since if I am going to be using a UTV it is because it is off road and most likely muddy. If it isn't muddy and is solid enough for a stock mini truck I will just as soon use my half ton pickup I already have.

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #17  
what would you expect? you old farts/

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #18  
Thanks jcummins for the response. I've looked at the artic cat, polaris, and the yahama side by sides also, but I haven't got serious about trying to make a deal yet. I know that I would want to sometimes go faster than 25 mph in order not to impede traffic when I would ride on the local county roads, but I would still want to be able to work with it and not lug it to death at 15mph or blow it up trying to go 35 or 40 mph.

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #19  
Thanks jcummins for the response. I've looked at the artic cat, polaris, and the yahama side by sides also, but I haven't got serious about trying to make a deal yet. I know that I would want to sometimes go faster than 25 mph in order not to impede traffic when I would ride on the local county roads, but I would still want to be able to work with it and not lug it to death at 15mph or blow it up trying to go 35 or 40 mph.

Then, I suggest you look at machines with a High and Low range on their trannies. Several don't have this. Low Range on the Rhino and Teryx, for example, seem to be good for up to around 20 MPH or a little more, and let you do hard pulling or hauling, while High Range will go 35-45, depending on the machine.

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #20  
I was just pointing out that after a certain age, comfort gets a little more important, especially if your back is as bad as mine. And I can't tolerate being in the cold like I used to, or the heat, or bouncing up and down at high speed on lumpy ground. Sad to say, all that stuff hurts anymore. As to the "street" tires on a mini truck, I am sure there are more agressive tread patterns available aftermarket.