UTV or Mini Truck?

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #1  

robertwhite

Silver Member
OK, Big time confusion in my head.

I need a small utility vehicle. Strictly small farm use, no off road (except fields), blah, blah, blah.

For the price of a used low hours Kawi Mule Trans ($5-6K) or the like, these used mini trucks sure do look appealing. Full cab, 4x4, hydraulic dump bed which is much larger than a UTV's.

What say the masses?

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #2  
I ran a Suzuki LJ81 mini truck for years on my farm. Looked a lot like this one:
suzuki.jpg

Eventually replaced it with a used Polaris Ranger XP.

The little Suzuki was a tough little beast but had an awful turning circle and a very high centre of gravity..........it tended to fall over on hillsides and or soft ground. My place has some tight spots that the Suzuki found difficult to access compared to the UTV.
If you're on fairly flat open ground the mini truck may well suffice.

/ UTV or Mini Truck?
Thanks.

Anyone else?

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #4  
To me the UTV would be a blast compared to the mini truck.

I have a Kawaski Teryx. And I use as a farm vehicle, not recreation. It is in use, everyday, in/out all day long. It goes in the mud and wet without leaving track better than a tractor or truck. Having said that, unless you want to go faster than 25, I do...but admittedly a do a lot at less than 10mph, a mule has a much bigger bed and is probably a better utility UTV..

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #5  
Since I'm an older guy (53) the mini truck would appeal to me. It has an enclosed cab to stay out of the rain, has heat and many have air conditioning. It is those kinds of things that would allow me to work longer, and be more productive.

/ UTV or Mini Truck?
Thanks again.

I did a search and a ton of reading and have come to the conclusion that the mini trucks are very unstable (high COG) and when the bed is loaded to the max the get very light in the front end.

I can easily see it tipping on a hill and can also easily see it getting front light due to the long wheelbase.

The street tires and low ground clearance of the mini are also things that make me lean towards the Mule Trans.

Can the mini be effective? Yeah, probably if you change out the tires and don't overload the bed, but I will be looking at a used Mule tonight. We shall see.

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #7  
I ahve always thought that a mini truck makes a lot of sense for many of us. I have always worried about parts and service, though. It seems that every mini truck "dealer" I have seen is a fly by night operation. That does not make me feel good about spending $6-7,000 on a mini truck.
Will

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #9  
I have had one for two or three years and is very nice on a cold morning to be able to run out side and start up with heater and defroster going, go back in, have a cup of coffee then go haul what I need to.

/ UTV or Mini Truck? #10  
Since I'm an older guy (53) the mini truck would appeal to me. It has an enclosed cab to stay out of the rain, has heat and many have air conditioning. It is those kinds of things that would allow me to work longer, and be more productive.

Older....Joe don't do that to me....I'm 67.