Looking at getting a UTV.....

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #21  
I just GOOGLED "electric utility vehicle". There are some cool 4WD ATV's. Check them out. And they have tax credits with them!! Dave

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #23  
Looks like some of those are in direct response to the availability of the tax rebates.

Sure does. American capitalism at its best. If I was smart, I would have thought of getting into that market.
There are some testimonials on hunting with the electric UTV on one web site.
Only problem I saw was there is no cab heater. I guess a guy could haul a propane heater with him. Dave

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #24  
2 Fast 2, I actually brought it to the deal this week to have them look at it. They said they was no problem with it and it should get better after break in (only has 10 Hr's) like you had mentioned. I was talking to my buddy and we are going to get together to compare them, his has 200 hr's on it. It seeems its biggest problem is on steep hills. How is the diesel overall been?

I think the old adage "it will get better with break in" is BS. The power you have will not change significantly unless they find something wrong. People tell me my diesel truck will get better as the engine gets broke in is just a way of saying "Sorry, it is what it is."

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #25  
I think the old adage "it will get better with break in" is BS. The power you have will not change significantly unless they find something wrong. People tell me my diesel truck will get better as the engine gets broke in is just a way of saying "Sorry, it is what it is."

I agree for the most part -- it's another way of saying...
"You'll get used to it..."

That said, things like fuel economy will improve slightly after break-in, as the friction is reduced by wear. Doubt you'd ever notice an increase in power, though. In fact, you're usually cautioned not to run one at "full power" -- whatever RPM that may be -- until after break-in...

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #26  
Like the OP, I had ridden Sport ATVs and Sport Utility ATVs. I bought a used Rhino Sport 660 a few months ago. The Sport model has external reservoir, fully adjustable shocks on all four corners. Mine is an '07 and had 103 miles on it and was spotlessly new, paid $7000.

I was looking for a similar machine as he described. I especially wanted compact size. I use it to haul chain saws, fencing materials, coolers etc. I also drive it hard and fast on timber trails, Jeep trails, Hare Scramble trails, etc. I added ITP 27" 589s and 1.5" wheel spacers. It'll 4 wheel very well. It'll jump very well. Will not quite corner with a Sport Utility ATV but close. My biggest disappointment is 42 mph top speed. Next modification will be a new clutch and rev limiter which will get the speed up around 60 mph.

If buying a used Rhino again I would suggest getting an '08 or newer to get the 700 EFI upgrade.

EDIT: Forgot to say, for Sport riding, the best feature of the Rhino is fully selectable 4wd.

2wd, both rear wheels pulling together. Used for normal operation. Rear axle is always locked and always engaged.

4wd, both rears pulling and front axle engaged but unlocked. Great for fast 4wd operation. Still steers easily, will power slide thru corners and get you thru most situations.

4wd locked, both rears pulling and front axle engaged and locked. All four wheels pulling together. Great for off camber situations where one front tire is airborne. Down side is hard to steer.

Brands without front differential always steer heavy when in 4wd. Rhino gives you a choice.

Last edited:
   / Looking at getting a UTV..... #27  
I have had many 4 wheelers w last being Polaris Sportsman. Awesome 4 wheeler with 4 wheel drive system the best. The sportsman backs up hills others cant drive forward up! My side by is a John Deere xuv. Awesome 4 wheel drive system also. It is no hotrod (32 mph flat ground). But it will haul a full pallet, much more work oriented than any other. Also smooth riding independent suspension. I do like the JD xuvs. Mine is limited w the fmf exaust.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #28  
I have just purchased a Bad Boy LSV (low speed vehicle). You can drive it on the road and off of course. It comes with a tax credit of about $5700 and the vehicle sells for about $10,400. I got mine for $9,400, sooo subtract $5,700 and you get a nice vehicle for $3,700.
Check it out at badboymowers.com. It has two speed axle, 4x4, pushbutton dump bed, alum. wheels, brush guard, roll cage with a roof, all legal for the streets with 35mph speed limits. You can roll right up on turkey while creeping along logging roads.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #29  
From what I have read some models will fit in the back of a 6 foot pickup bed. That would be a plus as well.

Is there a model that will do it all?

I don't think you will find any UTV that will fit into a 6' bed. Heck! I don't think you'll find any that will fit into a 8' bed either. That's ATV sized. Our Kaw Mule likes an 11'+ trailer because it's a tad over 10' long. It also has a wheelbase wider than 4' (a bit over 57" wide). If you can find one that fits into the bed, it's not really a UTV in my opinion.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #30  
I have had many 4 wheelers w last being Polaris Sportsman. Awesome 4 wheeler with 4 wheel drive system the best. The sportsman backs up hills others cant drive forward up! My side by is a John Deere xuv. Awesome 4 wheel drive system also. It is no hotrod (32 mph flat ground). But it will haul a full pallet, much more work oriented than any other. Also smooth riding independent suspension. I do like the JD xuvs. Mine is limited w the fmf exaust.

Actually the Polaris Sportsman has a trouglesome 4wd system. It also does not have a front differential so always steers heavy when in 4wd. Polaris runs the front driveline engaged at all times. To get 2wd they disconnect at each front wheel using electromagnetic devices. Creates more opportunity for failure because of maintaining two devices.

Worst problem with them is they will engage themselves when doing high speed rear wheel spin. Makes a terrible banging sound, yanks the bars out of your hands and tries really, really hard to tear itself up and throw you off. Also will sometimes disengage when changing direction quickly. Not pretty. :mad:

I don't have personal experience with Polaris Ranger or RZR so can't comment on what system they use, just assume it's the same as the Sportsman. :(