Looking at getting a UTV.....

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #1  

warhammer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST
Really don't know what to buy though.
Primary usage would be as a utility vehicle on the farm for chores, fence work etc. I have a tractor so I do not anticipate using it with any ground engaging implements.
My lifelong hobby has been dirtbikes so something with some performance would be a bonus.
I need 4wd for when its muddy. From what I have read some models will fit in the back of a 6 foot pickup bed. That would be a plus as well.

Is there a model that will do it all?

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #2  
That's a loaded question! :eek:
I purchased the Mule 3010 Trans 4x4. It can switch from a 2-seater to a 4-seater. If you don't need 4 seats, stick with the regular Mule (Kawasaki). It's not about performance with a Mule, it's about toughness, hauling, pulling (tow bar) and dumping (I added a hydraulic bed lift).
Check out the Gators, Kubota RTV 500 or 900 and the Kawasaki Mule line. You can certainly find what's right for you in any of those product lines.
Good Luck, and have fun! :D

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #3  
I'm slightly partial, but, if you want a nice size bed and such for work, and have a use for sport, I would look at the Polaris Ranger. I am a little partial due to relations we have with the dealer, but they really do have a great sport appeal as well as being one of the better workers out there on the market.

I don't really care for Kubota (personal thing), but they are great workers. They have tons of low range power, in fact, a pulling team I work with pulls their 10k machine around all night, even up onto the scale, and off the muddy track. But, they don't have much speed or off road capability---compared to most others.

The mules, eh, they are pretty good workers but again, IMO, I think there are others to consider over it.

Overall, for sport, the big ones are- Polaris Ranger, Yamaha Rhino, Arctic Cat Prowler, and Kawasaki Teryx. The Polaris has the best work appeal of those 4, but they can all be outfitted with trailers and such if bed space is needed.

IMHO

Good luck with your decision, Kyle

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #4  
I have a UTV on my wish list too. I don't think I can afford one for another year or so but I keep coming back to the Polaris Ranger like Kyle says.

A worker but also a bit of a recreational unit. I hear one calling me now.......but I also here my wife yelling at me so I gotta wait.:D

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #7  
I just recently bought a 620 gator XUV. I am thinking i should have bought the diesel or looked at he Ranger. It seems to be very well made and has a nice big bed. It has no preformance for recreational use and is very poor on climbing steep hills. I didn't do much research because my freind has one and he loves it and says how powerful it is. I guess everyones idea of power is different. I was very disapointed when it barely climbed the will I was on in low range with no load. It is a 2009 so if want to get something else I am going to loose a ton of money. I have heard the 2010 gas XUV will have around 50 HP :D. I should have waited. :(

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #9  
xmoto, I test drove a 620i and did not feel it was as anemic as you say, so maybe something is wrong with yours. Since you say your friend has one, get together and drive each other's machines and the two of you should be able to instantly detect any difference. My 850 had poor brakes that took a while to break in, so I think there is SOME truth to the concept of break in, but when it comes to engine break in, I don't think it is the answer to your issue. It sounds like you're having buyer's remorse, which is understandable if you're having these issues and the dealer says that is normal. Since warranty is from JD, maybe you want to try a different dealer. But I'd test drive my buddy's machine first.
All XUVs are 4 wheel drive with a manual locking rear differential and electronic switch to add front wheel engagement.
Good luck xmoto. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. These aren't cheap machines and you'd expect your money's worth.

/ Looking at getting a UTV..... #10  
Two Bit Score, yes the gator is a 4X4.

2 Fast 2, I actually brought it to the deal this week to have them look at it. They said they was no problem with it and it should get better after break in (only has 10 Hr's) like you had mentioned. I was talking to my buddy and we are going to get together to compare them, his has 200 hr's on it. It seeems its biggest problem is on steep hills. How is the diesel overall been?