Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE HST

Default Looking at getting a UTV.....

Really don't know what to buy though.
    Primary usage would be as a utility vehicle on the farm for chores, fence work etc. I have a tractor so I do not anticipate using it with any ground engaging implements.
    My lifelong hobby has been dirtbikes so something with some performance would be a bonus.
    I need 4wd for when its muddy. From what I have read some models will fit in the back of a 6 foot pickup bed. That would be a plus as well.

Is there a model that will do it all?

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L 3940

Default Re: Looking at getting a UTV.....

That's a loaded question!
    I purchased the Mule 3010 Trans 4x4. It can switch from a 2-seater to a 4-seater. If you don't need 4 seats, stick with the regular Mule (Kawasaki). It's not about performance with a Mule, it's about toughness, hauling, pulling (tow bar) and dumping (I added a hydraulic bed lift).
    Check out the Gators, kubota RTV 500 or 900 and the Kawasaki Mule line. You can certainly find what's right for you in any of those product lines.
    Good Luck, and have fun!
    Grand L3940 HST, Wallenstein BX62 chipper, Woods GTR72 tiller, Woods BH90-X backhoe, 724 FEL, forks, 1000lb PTO rotary spreader, Woods PRD8400 finish mower, Leinbach 7' landscape rake, United 7' box blade, Pequea 80 bushel manure spreader, Woods 7' Brush Hog.

Tractor
    Kubota M4900 FEL; New Holland TC30 MMM; Ford 1620; Ford 1520 MMM; John Deere X740; John Deere 455 MMM; Craftsman 19.5hp;;;;; Antiques: 1946 John Deere B; 1951 John Deere MT; 1952 Allis Chalmers B; 1967 International 140

I'm slightly partial, but, if you want a nice size bed and such for work, and have a use for sport, I would look at the Polaris Ranger. I am a little partial due to relations we have with the dealer, but they really do have a great sport appeal as well as being one of the better workers out there on the market.

I don't really care for kubota (personal thing), but they are great workers. They have tons of low range power, in fact, a pulling team I work with pulls their 10k machine around all night, even up onto the scale, and off the muddy track. But, they don't have much speed or off road capability---compared to most others.

The mules, eh, they are pretty good workers but again, IMO, I think there are others to consider over it.

Overall, for sport, the big ones are- Polaris Ranger, Yamaha Rhino, Arctic Cat Prowler, and Kawasaki Teryx. The Polaris has the best work appeal of those 4, but they can all be outfitted with trailers and such if bed space is needed.

IMHO

Good luck with your decision, Kyle

Tractor
    Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe

I have a UTV on my wish list too. I don't think I can afford one for another year or so but I keep coming back to the Polaris Ranger like Kyle says.

A worker but also a bit of a recreational unit. I hear one calling me now.......but I also here my wife yelling at me so I gotta wait.
    God Bless our brave men, bring them home, safe again.

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

Whats a reasonable cost range on that Polaris Ranger?

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Quote Originally Posted by two_bit_score View Post
    Whats a reasonable cost range on that Polaris Ranger?
    I belive they run 10K-13K depending on the machine plus accessories.

2010 Polaris RANGER Full Size Utility Vehicles : Overview

BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Tractor
    Kubota LA3410, Ford 3400, Gator XUV

I just recently bought a 620 gator XUV. I am thinking i should have bought the diesel or looked at he Ranger. It seems to be very well made and has a nice big bed. It has no preformance for recreational use and is very poor on climbing steep hills. I didn't do much research because my freind has one and he loves it and says how powerful it is. I guess everyones idea of power is different. I was very disapointed when it barely climbed the will I was on in low range with no load. It is a 2009 so if want to get something else I am going to loose a ton of money. I have heard the 2010 gas XUV will have around 50 HP . I should have waited.
    Kubota L3800, Ford 3400 (FOR SALE), Kubota L3410(sold), Gator XUV(sold)

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

xmoto, is your Gator 4X4?

Silver Member

xmoto, I test drove a 620i and did not feel it was as anemic as you say, so maybe something is wrong with yours. Since you say your friend has one, get together and drive each other's machines and the two of you should be able to instantly detect any difference. My 850 had poor brakes that took a while to break in, so I think there is SOME truth to the concept of break in, but when it comes to engine break in, I don't think it is the answer to your issue. It sounds like you're having buyer's remorse, which is understandable if you're having these issues and the dealer says that is normal. Since warranty is from JD, maybe you want to try a different dealer. But I'd test drive my buddy's machine first.
    All XUVs are 4 wheel drive with a manual locking rear differential and electronic switch to add front wheel engagement.
    Good luck xmoto. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. These aren't cheap machines and you'd expect your money's worth.

Tractor
    Kubota LA3410, Ford 3400, Gator XUV

Two Bit Score, yes the gator is a 4X4.

2 Fast 2, I actually brought it to the deal this week to have them look at it. They said they was no problem with it and it should get better after break in (only has 10 Hr's) like you had mentioned. I was talking to my buddy and we are going to get together to compare them, his has 200 hr's on it. It seeems its biggest problem is on steep hills. How is the diesel overall been?
    Kubota L3800, Ford 3400 (FOR SALE), Kubota L3410(sold), Gator XUV(sold)

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast