Default RTV 500 4wd not disengaging

Anyone have any insight on this? how is the disengagement supposed to work?

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Default Re: RTV 500 4wd not disengaging

Does the owner's manual say anything? The manual for my RTV900 says to turn the steering wheel several times.

Tractor
    Iseki TL 2300, Kubota RTV, Kubota B7610

For me, with my 900, the ONLY trick that works maybe 80% of the time is to put it forward on a slight incline and then roll backwards either in neutral or in a forward gear, and THEN disengage. As my property is mostly hilly this is never a problem; but I suppose for some it really could be. ALL the other "techniques" just dont work for me........Good luck....Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by smstonypoint View Post
    Does the owner's manual say anything? The manual for my RTV900 says to turn the steering wheel several times.
    I'll take a look. There seems to be a lot of slack in the cable under the dash.

To me, I shouldnt have to look in the owners manual. It should disengage after i unlock the differential.

Tractor
    Kubota's

I would check with your dealer. The 500 is a new machine and I hope under warranty. The way is sounds to me is you still have some pressure on the sincro that dissengages the 4 wheel drive,the machine has a little pressure on the foward side of the hydro. Not enough to make the RTV creep but enough to make shifting very hard.I think a simple srevo adjustment would cure you problem and give it a little extra umph.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Driveline windup is the problem. There is torsional tension in the driveline between the front and rear wheels. That tension has to be relieve whether it's a UTV or one of our tractors. I have found that on my Kawasaki Mule, I can normally get 4wd to disengage by rolling backwards a few feet or turning the front wheels lock-to-lock. The other thing is to only engage 4wd for the time it is absolutely needed. Leaving the driveline in 4wd all the time will only contribute to driveline windup no matter what the brand of UTV.

The ideal way to engage/disengage 4wd would be to have a clutch in the middle of the driveline shaft, but I don't think most of us consider this worth the extra expense. On my tractor, I can lift my front wheels with the loader bucket and this relieves all the windup instantly, but we don't have that luxury on our UTVs.
    Jim

Tractor
    Case DX45, Kubota L39, Kubota RTV500

Quote Originally Posted by gobraphil View Post
    I'll take a look. There seems to be a lot of slack in the cable under the dash.

To me, I shouldnt have to look in the owners manual. It should disengage after i unlock the differential.
    The differential lock and 4wd are two separate functions. You can lock the diff in either 2wd or 4wd.

If your unit will not shift out of 4wd, then check the two cable stays to make sure the adjustment nuts are tight. One is under the dash and one at the right, front side of the rear axle. It is behind the right rear wheel. The lever is pushed to the rear of the vehicle for 2wd and pulled to the front for 4wd. There should be a spring on the level that pulls it to the rear. There is a stay with adjustment nuts in front of the level. Perhaps the adjustment nuts came loose or the spring fell off.
    Case DX45 with FEL, Kubota L39TLB, Kubota RTV500