2008 XUV 4WD problem

/ 2008 XUV 4WD problem #1  

shyguy6

I use my Gator on a farm in fields. When it is in 4 wheel drive it works fine going forward. If I stop and put it in reverse, it seems like it is bound up, and when you back up it seems like the front wheel kinda drag and aren't going the same speed as the rear ones. You can see where the left front wheel kinda tears up the grass when backing up. It is really hard to turn when going backwards. I then stop take it out of 4wd, and go forward a few feet and then I can back up with no binding. It has 200 hours, and I'm just a old guy who putts around the farm fixing fences, and cutting wood. It is the gas model. It has done this for a long time. I only use the 4wd when going through wet areas, and take it out as soon as it is safe. Of course the dealer went out of business the day after I bought it, and its a long ways to the next one.

/ 2008 XUV 4WD problem #2  
I use my Gator on a farm in fields. When it is in 4 wheel drive it works fine going forward. If I stop and put it in reverse, it seems like it is bound up, and when you back up it seems like the front wheel kinda drag and aren't going the same speed as the rear ones. You can see where the left front wheel kinda tears up the grass when backing up. It is really hard to turn when going backwards. I then stop take it out of 4wd, and go forward a few feet and then I can back up with no binding. It has 200 hours, and I'm just a old guy who putts around the farm fixing fences, and cutting wood. It is the gas model. It has done this for a long time. I only use the 4wd when going through wet areas, and take it out as soon as it is safe. Of course the dealer went out of business the day after I bought it, and its a long ways to the next one.

You can go to any JD dealer for warranty work. I would take it in, and have someone look at it..

/ 2008 XUV 4WD problem #3  
I had the same problem or something similar on a 06 HPX. The dealer service dept test drove it and couldn't replicate the binding. They did verify that something in the tranny has to pop back when shifting from 4wd to 2wd, and it causes a snapping twack noise, which they claim is normal. I heard that regularly when shifting.

I now have a 2010 XUV (a 2009 delivered in Feb 2010, so they called it an 2010). It has the same twack noise when shifting 4 to 2wd. Haven't had the binding though (yet?).

Didn't like that binding -- it prevented the steering from being free to go stop-to-stop. The unit then would plow forward in a turn.
jim

/ 2008 XUV 4WD problem #4  
Make sure you don't have the differential lock engaged. It's hard to steer going forward with it engaged and nearly impossible to steer going backwards.

/ 2008 XUV 4WD problem #5  
2008 850D XUV here.

I have none of the issues that the 3 of you have described. 4x4 is smooth. Reverse with diff lock on is smooth. Matter of fact I don't even know it's in 4x4 mode until I get unstuck. :laughing:

About 85 hours on unit and about 80 are trail riding. :)

Is there something wrong that I am not feeling the tugs and rubs? :eek:

/ 2008 XUV 4WD problem #6  
I have the same problem on my 08. It will sometimes "bind" in forward or reverse. It seems like it is whenever both front wheels are engaged, and you stop while the wheels are still turned. It is easy to correct by just changing direction. You don't usually have to take it out of 4wheel drive, but on occassion it will stay locked in even if you switch directions, then you have to turn off the 4wheel drive. I also have had both front wheels stay engaged occasionally when I am using it hard in 4wheel drive. I notice it most when I am plowing snow and pushing it hard. You will get a low pitch hum and the steering is real hard. I have talked to several others and it happens at one time or another on a lot of them. Mine currently has about 150hrs on it and has done it from almost new.

/ 2008 XUV 4WD problem #7  
Just a thought but make sure you check your tire presure, 14 psi all the way around.